Notifications
Clear all

I Need Help My Battle Is Never Ending

MemberMember
(@acnescarsgone)

Posted : 01/17/2013 5:56 pm

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself as a acne sufferer I suffer from white heads boils etc. I also have acne scarring which I'm terribly depressed about I'm a18 year old girl with a twin sister with completely clear skin. I am currently on antibiotics and differin cream I was wondering if any one has any advice to help me win this battle I've had it for four years and my social life is suffering I sit in like a hermit :) thanks

MemberMember
(@italiangeek)

Posted : 01/18/2013 4:06 pm

hey, welcome :) I know how annoying it is when a brother/sister as perfect skin. My brother never has had bad skin, where as Ive suffered from it for 10 years. When I was his age (21) i was in a real depression about my acne.

But thinking positively, whenever he gets one little spot he crys about it, where as I can deal with alot more (not just skin related). So guess thats one thing I can thank acne for.

Depends what country youre in but light/lazer treatment is available fairly widely now

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/18/2013 4:43 pm

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself as a acne sufferer I suffer from white heads boils etc. I also have acne scarring which I'm terribly depressed about I'm a18 year old girl with a twin sister with completely clear skin. I am currently on antibiotics and differin cream I was wondering if any one has any advice to help me win this battle I've had it for four years and my social life is suffering I sit in like a hermit smile.png thanks

Birth control. Evens out your hormones and stops the acne from the inside. Yaz, Yasmin, Diane-35, Dianette, or Ortho Tri Cyclen.

MemberMember
(@bluelagoon)

Posted : 01/18/2013 6:18 pm

I am exactly like you, my twin sister never gets spots, or when she does its the odd one. My social life suffers, I don't want to leave the house or for anyone to see me. Yasmin really did a lot of good regards to preventing spots, but after nearly 3 years it was almost as if I became immune to it and I gradually began to get spots again. Any type of birth control pill which alters the hormones appears to work best, maybe in your case too, it's just finding out which pill can help you and which is best suited for you. I can only say, don't let your life suffer, I'm 21 and everything is going way too quickly. There are so many events I wish I would've gone too but didn't because I felt so ugly but truth be told, no one will notice your skin apart from you unless you notice it. Life is too short (cheesy but true)!!

*im 20

MemberMember
(@acnescarsgone)

Posted : 01/20/2013 5:36 am

Hello

Thanks for all the advice yes I'm going to try and be more positive but it Is hard. I hope my antibiotics will help me I was wondering does anyone know what will help for scarring my scars are mainly shallow but I do have two deeper ones. If any suggestions are made I will try it thanks in advance x

MemberMember
(@hollieee)

Posted : 01/25/2013 5:31 pm

Hi, I also know how you feel my sister hardly ever gets a spot, her face is completely clear. Just remember a lot of people suffer from acne, so your not alone.. if it's getting you down talk to someone :) Hope your antibiotics work, if they don't your doctor/dermatologist will prescribe you something stronger. Make sure you keep your face clean and drink lots of water, this helps me a bit.

Birth control pills are meant to help, I've heard from friends that this is true, however this is personal choice and I have so far chosen not to take birth control. Currently on accutane, however it is a serious medication, which I am thinking of coming off of, so have a chat with your doctor/derm.

Good luck, if you need any info just message me :)

MemberMember
(@emma-b1)

Posted : 01/26/2013 4:41 pm

Hey, gosh u sound quite upset. I know the feeling though. Ive always suffered from acne but last year it turned horrific. I tried everything. I was so depressed. And being a hairdresser was highly embarrassing having to look and talk to people also having mirrors everywhere didnt help.well I got so fedup I payed to see a private dermatologist (didnt really want to pay but nhs waiting list was 6 months) once I had seen him he put me on accutane. Best thing eva! I am on my second round now as I had a few spots come back but no where near what I had last time. I just love my skin to be perfect. Goodluck anyway.n

MemberMember
(@fightingagainstacne)

Posted : 01/27/2013 10:54 pm

Hello, acnescarsgone. As a former acne sufferer, I can tell you that sometimes it takes time to find the right regimend for you.

I got my first, full-blown acne breakout when I was about 12 years old. Unfortunately, at the time, I could not afford to see a

dermatologist, and my self-confidence waned. I was feeling really down and depressed, and whenever I saw a girl with

pretty skin, I would just cry!But I can tell you right now, not to give up hope. The first thing I would recommend doing is to stick

to your regimend. If you feel confident in your doctor's capability, then I would suggest staying with him for a while. However, I

personally had to go through several dermatologists before I found the one that could clear my skin. The biggest differences between

my current doctor, and my previous doctors, is that she is a board-certified PEDIATRIC DERMATOLIGIST!! I know it sounds

wierd, but you can see a dermatoligist at 18 yrs. old, no questions asked. What's good about going to this particular type of skin

doctor, is that they are really invested in taking good care of their patients' skin, and not trying to shove numerous samples down

your pocket. Take my old doctor, for example. I went to a bick-bucks dermatologist for over a year, and every time, he would just

say, "Try something new." I was so miserable, because it seemed like he was only interested in taking my money. A few months passed,

and I came across an office that accepted my insurance. I thought, hey?What do I have to lose? I ended up going a few days

after I called, and she set me up on a regimend which consisted in the following:

1.) A gentle, soap-free cleanser. Most skin doctors recommend using a soap-free cleanser, because it doesn't strip your skin

of important, natural oils. (If you strip off the natural oil, your skin just makes more, and this can clog your pores.)

I started off by using cetaphil, which is good for dryer skin. But I have oily skin, and I swear by the following cleanser, found at

any walmart or cvs pharamcy: cerave foaming facial cleanser,(or the one made for dry skin, the creamy cleanser.)

It's gentle, fragrance-free, and great for sensitive skin like mine.

2.) She started me on an antibiotic(like you mentioned you are taking.) I personally use Solodyn: this is a long-term release

minocyclin. the extended release means that it continues to fight your acne; when your sleeping,and when your awake. Hence,

your medicine is always busing working against your acne.) I take 1 pill a day with a glass of water.

3.) SInce I had luck with benzoyl peroxide creams in the past, my doctor wrote by a prescription for DUAC gel. this is

a mixture of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical cream. I apply it once it the morning every day, and it doesn't dry out

my skin when I use a moisturizer. (Normally, these can be pretty expense. However, the doctor can give you rebate cards, and

a bottle like this that costs $200 can be greatly reduced to about $20.

. . .I should mention that after this, although my skin did look better, it wasn't completely gone. I went back for another visit

after several weeks, and she added one more product that SAVED MY LIFE!!!(I'm not advertising it, I just seriously give it most

of the credit for clearing my skin.) It's called Benzefoam. It comes in a small, air-tight can, and it comes out like shaving cream.

Just apply it(a small, marble-sized amount) to your skin, and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, just wash it off.

Within a couple weeks, I hardly looked like I had acne. I still had some bumps, but these soon went away with regular use of

the product.

I still use this regimend, and it's pretty easy to do, and doesn't take up too much time. If you could only choose one of these

products, I would definetly go with the Benzefoam. I know how hard it is to struggle with acne, but there is a combination for

you that will work- trust me. I have really great skin now to the point that I can't believe I ever had acne.

As a side note, I read some of the other comments in this thread. Just a couple points(which are entirely from experience):

I would not recommend using a birth control pill. This may work for some people, and I have heard some success stories. But

honestly, it can leave you with more bumps and weird looking red marks than you had before you took it.

Secondly, I know how hard it is to have a sister with perfect skin. :( But you are your own unique person, and you simply have

different stress levels, hormone levels, etc. . .just stick to finding a good skin regimin, and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your acne, and please write to me if you have any questions. . .I have so many success and horror stories,

and hopefully you'll find your success story soon. :)

MemberMember
(@acnescarsgone)

Posted : 01/28/2013 6:00 pm

Thankyou but fighting against acne where can I get benzefoam from I am desperate and at breaking point I feel so down my skin is starting to look slightly better. I have been on my antibiotics for nearly 5 weeks now does anyone know how long it takes to see a difference? Thank you so much for all the support :)

MemberMember
(@fightingagainstacne)

Posted : 01/29/2013 4:43 pm

Benzefoam is a prescription drug, so you could probably ask your dermatologist to give you some samples, if he has any.

If you like it, he can write a prescription. It's a good sign that you are seeing improvement, but to see more dramatic results,

give it at least two months from the time you started taking your antibiotic. 2-3 months is the standard amount of time doctors

usually give before they can tell if the medicine is going to work for you in the long run. Glad that I could help!I hope all goes well.

MemberMember
(@acnescarsgone)

Posted : 01/29/2013 5:20 pm

I will keep a log of how much skin is going each week :) thanks again