Notifications
Clear all

How Long Should It Take For Oiliness To Improve?

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/17/2013 4:58 am

I know that it takes months for acne to clear up with hormonal treatments, but should oiliness improve straight away/sooner? Is that a good indicator if a particular treatment is going to work for us? I'm still oily 3 months in... Is it time to try something else?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/18/2013 3:57 pm

What is your dose? And are you on a birth control (and what kind) or spiro?

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/19/2013 9:23 am

Hi sorry for the lack of information. I'm on birth control - a generic version of dianette.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/20/2013 12:02 am

Hi sorry for the lack of information. I'm on birth control - a generic version of dianette.

I'd give it another 2 months. Dianette works well for many, but it is a "slow burn" in the beginning, even just with the oiliness.

You might also want to consider the name brand Dianette. Many people have reported that the generics simply don't work as well.

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/20/2013 8:15 am

Thanks that's really helpful! I'll give it a bit longer. I was thinking about trying saw palmetto too in the meantime. Though I guess then I won't know if it's the bc taking effect or the saw palmetto but I kinda just want to get this sorted asap!! Interesting that the generics aren't so good for some people... I don't think I have the option of having the brand because of being in the UK/NHS I might ask though. Thanks again!

Edit: Just read your clear skin story! Really glad you were able to treat your severe acne so effectively. I wish I could take spiro but my Dr wouldn't give it to me because I'm on lithium. I see that saw palmetto was no good for you... I think I'll try it anyway as I've got nothing to lose and have heard some good reports. My acne isn't nodulo-cystic either, but I'd still class it as moderately severe or moderate because it covers so much of my face! Or it did, bp works well for me fortunately but I don't like it and I'd rather get to the root of the problem -and the bp doesn't help with my oil problem which is bad to the point of making me feel indecent if I don't run off to the bathroom to blot my face every hour or so!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/21/2013 1:03 am

Thanks that's really helpful! I'll give it a bit longer. I was thinking about trying saw palmetto too in the meantime. Though I guess then I won't know if it's the bc taking effect or the saw palmetto but I kinda just want to get this sorted asap!! Interesting that the generics aren't so good for some people... I don't think I have the option of having the brand because of being in the UK/NHS I might ask though. Thanks again!

Edit: Just read your clear skin story! Really glad you were able to treat your severe acne so effectively. I wish I could take spiro but my Dr wouldn't give it to me because I'm on lithium. I see that saw palmetto was no good for you... I think I'll try it anyway as I've got nothing to lose and have heard some good reports. My acne isn't nodulo-cystic either, but I'd still class it as moderately severe or moderate because it covers so much of my face! Or it did, bp works well for me fortunately but I don't like it and I'd rather get to the root of the problem -and the bp doesn't help with my oil problem which is bad to the point of making me feel indecent if I don't run off to the bathroom to blot my face every hour or so!

Yeah I didn't see much with saw palmetto, but my acne was quite severe and I wasn't on a high dose. I was only on probably 300mg a day. For women it works better if you're on 600-1000mg a day of saw palmetto.

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/25/2013 3:34 am

Thank you for the dosing info, I was just going to take 320. Have been taking 640 this week, maybe it has helped a tiny bit? I could just be imagining it! And I did add aha back in to my regimen so it's hard to say what causes what - I know you should change one thing at a time but I just want it sorted asap! Then I can work out what did the trick... I read your thread too, very helpful, thank you.

MemberMember
(@kam08)

Posted : 02/12/2013 7:50 pm

litium can cause acne. that may be your problem.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:17 pm

i have also heard that lithium can cause acne. the combo in dianette, whether generic or not really does clear skin up. but i never tried any generics so can't say whether it works or not.