Notifications
Clear all

Can You "grow Out" Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@celery)

Posted : 01/16/2013 6:10 pm

I have pretty moderate acne but I've had it for as long as I can remember. And I read a post on here that said that you have to continue using BP forever unless you "grow out of it". Can you grow out of acne? They all say that in your teens you get acne and then later it just clears up. Does it? I'm just wondering if I'm going to be in my 30s or 40s and still using BP for the acne I got as a child

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:51 pm

For many teenagers they grow out of acne but for some it continues into adulthood. For me, (I'm 40) if I stop using BP I start getting acne again. Sad but true.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:53 pm

I hope so Im 21 and I still have it even after accutane...

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 01/18/2013 12:11 am

I don't think "growing out of it" necessarily refers to age... Or at least, age alone won't do it, and maybe age doesn't do it at all. I believe "growing out of it" is accepting it, and moving on with your life. When you stop obsessing about it, it goes away. This tends to happen to a lot of people with age because they just accept themselves or focus their minds on more important things. Without even realizing "I'm getting over and growing out of my acne" as it's happening. This could explain why everyone who "grows out of it" does so at a different age.

Just food for thought.

MemberMember
(@imjewels)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:56 pm

Hey I'm just curious... I'm 17 with acne and I started breaking out at 11.. My mothers side of the family has no acne whatsoever. My dad grew out of it at 23, and started getting acne at 17. I'm pretty much scared from what I read online that ill have this for life.:( is it genetic to have it going into your 30's... 40's?

Because my genes just show it ends after puberty..

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/09/2013 5:25 pm

Some people do, others don't. It's just one of those things unfortunately. I never imagined that I'd have acne at 20...

I assume that it's something I'll suffer with for life.

MemberMember
(@imjewels)

Posted : 08/10/2013 12:54 am

Hey don't give up hope just yet..my dad grew out of it at 23:) his face is flawless now. 20 is still young..

MemberMember
(@acneat19)

Posted : 09/11/2013 9:49 am

Am scared to I started to get acne at 19 about 1 month ago from now my dads acne was gone around 20-21 I hope mine goes away as we'll am on tetralysal at the moment

MemberMember
(@aaron556)

Posted : 09/11/2013 11:14 am

My friend used to have acne, until he started "getting some sun," and swimming. He thinks acne is that simple for people but it's not, we're both 17 now. He lost it at 16 without even doing anything, I didn't. I'm going to be 18 soon and it still hasn't stopped. Well it has now thanks to BP.

Some people do, others don't. It's just one of those things unfortunately. I never imagined that I'd have acne at 20...

I assume that it's something I'll suffer with for life.

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 09/11/2013 12:07 pm

My brother and Mum both had bad acne in their teens, and grew out of it. Hopefully I grow out of it soon (20 now).

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 09/22/2013 12:12 pm

I first got acne when I was 17, out of nowhere. I had never had a pimple before in my life. I've been on the regimen since 20. I'm now 30. For a lot of us, there is no growing out of acne.

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 09/22/2013 2:09 pm

My mom "grew out" of acne at 30.. I'm 25 now. Hope the same happens to me anytime soon :)

MemberMember
(@audabby)

Posted : 09/22/2013 8:40 pm

I had flawless skin until I was 25. I still remember being the envy of my girlfriends in high school who were battling acne back then. I had my first memorable breakout right after I had my first daughter and I'm still battling it at 30. You just never know. Hormones have a lot to do with it. For me it wasn't necessarily the pregnancy hormones, but going back to "normal" hormones after pregnancy that set my skin off. My skin cleared up again when I was pregnant with my second daughter and the acne came back with a vengence after I had her.

MemberMember
(@jcx1984)

Posted : 09/22/2013 9:55 pm

Well, for many yes, but for many No.

I am 29 and I know I would be getting acne if it werent for the regimen. (I got clear in three months because of the regimen...but suffered from acne from 13-28).

MemberMember
(@ari-abdul)

Posted : 09/25/2013 7:26 am

Sobs I'm 23 and I still get zits especially around my mouth and chin areas... :( I've had acne since I was 13-14 years old! YES! That's like 10 years :'(

MemberMember
(@monicalovesben)

Posted : 11/07/2013 10:14 pm

For most people, yes it certainly does go away. You're on an acne board, nearly all of the people posting are still dealing with it. I hardly in public see adults with a face full of acne, maybe a couple zits here or there but that's it.

My father had acne and it's completely gone now. Left in his 20s. Please don't give up hope.

MemberMember
(@thisuser)

Posted : 11/12/2013 12:33 am

I don't think "growing out of it" necessarily refers to age... Or at least, age alone won't do it, and maybe age doesn't do it at all. I believe "growing out of it" is accepting it, and moving on with your life. When you stop obsessing about it, it goes away. This tends to happen to a lot of people with age because they just accept themselves or focus their minds on more important things. Without even realizing "I'm getting over and growing out of my acne" as it's happening. This could explain why everyone who "grows out of it" does so at a different age.

Just food for thought.

That's about as "new age" and unscientific as it gets.

I'm 29 and clear from the regimen. But my acne would come back if I stopped.

MemberMember
(@robf1006)

Posted : 11/12/2013 4:11 pm

I first had acne when I was 16yrs old, I was treated by my family doctor with antibiotics and topical treatments. The acne subsided until about my early 20's, around 23 I think. It then returned, not as bad as it was in my teens, but I would say probably moderate to severe. I again received treatment from my family doctor with antibiotics and topical treatments. While I was on the medications, my acne once again subsided. Now that I am 35 I still have to constantly fight acne. So I do not believe that you can grow out of it. If so, when? In my 40s? 50s? I am going to try the acne.org regimen and hopefully not enter my 40s with acne on my face. eusa_pray.gif