Notifications
Clear all

Help A Parent

MemberMember
(@maryclemom)

Posted : 01/16/2013 4:22 pm

My 15 yr old daughter has struggled with moderate to severe acne for the past couple of years. In april of 2012 I took her to the peditrician and she prescribed an anti-biotic and a gel(Zianna 60mg) She used both of these at first and it did seem to help quite a bit. She has really started to flare up pretty bad the last 6 months. When I remind her that I think maybe she should try to start using the gel again she becomes upset with me. She will not even wash her face at night anymore.

She is suffering from depression which she is being treated for and currently taking a medication. She is also a picker and it just kills me when she does this because I know she is just making it worse.

So, what approach would be best without further making her feel like she is such a failure. When I do correct her on these issues and does get in the mind set of I can't do anything right pretty quickly.

MemberMember
(@sndr)

Posted : 01/16/2013 4:52 pm

This is something very hard to deal with. Especially because she's so young and going through one of the most important stages in her life, you should be very careful with what you say to her, because remember, she is a girl and can take certain things a bit hard. Believe me, when I was younger my mother used to tell me how she's sad that she can't help me, and would put herself down for it. In these types of situations, all you can do is be extra supportive. If she's not washing her face, it's due to frustration and sadness of what she's going through. Find some articles on the internet that are positive. Do a google search, "Why you should wash your face if you're acne prone" or "How to deal with picking pimples" etc. Research this information that seems to be troubling her so much, become a bit of an expert you could say... Other than that, by supporting her you can research some products that are fine for acne prone skin. Cetaphil's oily skin cleanser has worked me wonders, and I'm a greasy Italian. Please feel free to message me if you need any more help. Oh and PS: I have been battling depression too, but when I was 15, I was a lot worse than I am now. I at least learned a little =/

MemberMember
(@celery)

Posted : 01/16/2013 6:25 pm

I just turned 16 and have had moderate acne for a few years. Since 5h grade actually. Just like you, my mom used to ask if I wanted to use a certain gel and I would just get so humiliated and embarrassed just talking about it (even thinking about it) that I wouldn't want to talk to her and would get really mad, because having someone you love see the vulnerable side of you is really hard. Having acne when you're about to start or just starting high school is hell. It's really depressing and you have 0 self esteem. I was also on medication for depression. Your daughter needs to find a good remedy out on her own, but the worst is when you find something that was a scam and it makes your skin worse. Then you never want to go to school. I saw a comment on youtube about acne.org last year and came on here but I was so insecure and hopeless that I just closed the site and tried to find a thick enough foundation. Around New Years I thought about how much I wanted perfect skin. I was on youtube again and I saw a comment about acne.org again. So i went back and I read all about The Regimen and just ordered it since I had nothing to lose and it's pretty cheap. I started it about 3 weeks ago and since then my skin has cleared up noticeably. And I've tried SO many products. It does make my skin dry and a bit flaky but it just does that the first month. I really think she should try it. Show her this little message and just tell her to read it. She's not alone on this. If she yells at you again, just tell her to look up the website and see the success stories. It's better to do something now than wait till later.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:53 am

I hated it when my parents commented my skin or when they told me to use a product, etc. I knew what I was doing, so I wanted to fight this problem on my own. I learned a lot on the internet. Does she use the internet at all? She should do research on how to improve her skin. Eating healthy helps a lot.. also, applying chemical-free products can help as well. I know many people having beautiful skin by drinking super greens.. like leafy greens smoothie with fruits added. Oh, and does she know about this forum? You should let her look around here.. especially at the Holistic and wellness forum.

MemberMember
(@maryclemom)

Posted : 01/17/2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for the replies...I think I will send her a link to this site, looks like there is a lot of useful information here. What I probably have the hardest time with is her seemingly lack of care to even take care of the problem, which is a viscious cycle with her self esteem. She just started on an anti biotic for an ear infection that popped up. I said maybe this would be a good time to start using the gel and I even asked her if I left it on bathroom counter as a reminder if that would be okay. The first day I did that she used it but then the other days she took it right from counter and put it back in medicine cabinet. @Andy, she had been using the Cetaphil and liked it but has backed off that too. @Celery, I'm off to check out what the Regimin is all about

MemberMember
(@shannongre)

Posted : 01/20/2013 7:30 pm

I would bring her to a dermatologist. Let an expert give her advice. She will be more likely to listen. She is probably feeling hopeless and thinks nothing will ever help her. I would also make an appointment for her to see a psychologist or expert for dealing with her depression. Let the experts help you and her.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/21/2013 5:38 am

My 15 yr old daughter has struggled with moderate to severe acne for the past couple of years. In april of 2012 I took her to the peditrician and she prescribed an anti-biotic and a gel(Zianna 60mg) She used both of these at first and it did seem to help quite a bit. She has really started to flare up pretty bad the last 6 months. When I remind her that I think maybe she should try to start using the gel again she becomes upset with me. She will not even wash her face at night anymore.

She is suffering from depression which she is being treated for and currently taking a medication. She is also a picker and it just kills me when she does this because I know she is just making it worse.

So, what approach would be best without further making her feel like she is such a failure. When I do correct her on these issues and does get in the mind set of I can't do anything right pretty quickly.

Sadly there is little you can do.

This is largely a journey she will need to face on her own and come to terms with her acne in her own way.

Just be there for her and support her. Let her come to you if she wants to talk. Don't force anything on her as you will probably alienate her.

Try pointing out to her all the celebrities they have had acne, ideally someone she is a fan of. Then may be she might realise that she can have a good life with or without acne.

She is at an age where looks seem to be all that matters in life, so yeah this is going to be her entire world right now. Sadly you may just have to watch her fall and help her get back up when that does happen.

I can't imagine how helpless you must feel but speaking from soemone who went through this i didn't listen to anyone. I had to hit rock bottom before i could come back up.

In any case suggest her to sign up here and she can talk and share with everyone else. There are some great people here with solid and practical advice. She can post in the forums or private message if anyone here.

Also she might benefit from educating herself about acne and is it anything that her diet has to do with it. Check out the nutritional thread also. May be try getting her to cut gluten and sugar from her diet see if she responds? That is a quite generic but many respond well to cutting gluten and sugar.

All the regimen on this site is very good. It takes time patients and understanding of how it works. I have used it for many years and stay 99% clear these day but i have also cleaned up my diet over the years.

All the best.