Notifications
Clear all

Acne Destroying Self Esteem

MemberMember
(@ava110)

Posted : 01/16/2013 1:08 pm

Hello everyone, I'm just after making an account, I have known about the site for a while and thought I'd take the leap and join seeing as my acne has taken a turn for the worse lately.

I'm 16 and started getting acne when I was about 13-14. I can never remember having perfect skin which saddens me seeing as all of my friends have amazing clear faces (grrr)

I have been on 3 types of antibiotics for my skin over the passed 3 years. All of them are great at first but eventually they become ineffective.

Last April I went on a 6 month course of dianette for my skin as my mom knew how miserable I was about it. After 2 months I saw a huge improvement - rarely breaking out at all ! I was so happy but soon realised how much weight I was gaining due to the pill so I had to come off it - I couldn't face putting on anymore weight.

After I came off the dianette I was prescribed Yasmin and tetralysal from October-December they worked great along with my relatively healthy eating habits.

In late December however my acne totally flared up absolutely catastrophically. I got cysts on my forehead and on my chin. They were red, big and painful and I was so upset. I had been doing everything right and had no idea why they got so bad.

Since then they have calmed down a bit however my face is nowhere near clear anymore. I'm so upset over it. In sure many of you understand.

So now I'm going to try and help others in this position while taking inboard some advice which may help improve my skin.

If anyone has any advice or similar experience if love to hear them :-)

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 01/16/2013 2:58 pm

I am sorry to hear that your acne has taken a turn for the worst lately. Like you, I went on antibiotic treatment, with good results, only to have them work less and less as the time went on. Judging by your photos it seems I cannot give too much specific advice on your type of acne since my acne type is composed mainly of whiteheads and blackheads. Still, I want to helphifive.gif ! What topical cleanser are you using? And what topical acne treatment are you using?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/16/2013 3:24 pm

Have you considered the diet acne relation? A great number of users including myself have noticed huge improvements by eating better, and excluding certain foods. It's at least worth experimenting with for a while to see if it has an effect. If nothing else, you will be doing your body a great service by eating healthy, organic foods.

You also might consider adding a good quality probiotic blend. Like something from whole foods. I could give you some suggestions if you'd like. I've said it many times, but antibiotics are the worst approach to acne out there. While you might see improvement from their use, and perhaps even perfectly clear skin, you still haven't addressed the underlying cause of your acne. So when you come off of them , the acne creeps right back in. And in many cases worse than before.

MemberMember
(@marciepez)

Posted : 01/16/2013 7:27 pm

Hi Ava, I know how you feel. I used to have all these bumps and acne that would hurt so bad just touching my face. I used to cry in the shower because no one would be able to hear me. Acne sucks sad.png

Recently my acne has gotten a lot better and my blackheads too. I use a gentle cleanser, and used some new stuff my sister gave me called off with those heads by b.liv. I only use it where I have the most acne because I don't have acne on my chin mostly my cheeks and nose and in about hmmm 2 weeks or so it's gotten much, much better. It's kind of price but I got to a point where I decided to spend al little more money on my skin. Mod Edit: URL removed - Please read the board rules

MemberMember
(@thatoneblackchickwithacne)

Posted : 01/16/2013 8:08 pm

I know how you feel gurl, I can barely look myself in the mirror because of all the scars and bumps all over my face. I'm trying the Clear Skin Diet (Google it if you'd like) and am using Benzoyl Peroxide. You've probably heard this before, but drink lots of water! 6-8 cups. I'm trying, but find that I have to pee a lot strongsad.gif But, the things I will do to clear my skin . . . Anyway, hope yours clears up. Don't give up hope, it won't last forever!

MemberMember
(@sndr)

Posted : 01/16/2013 8:41 pm

if i look at myself in a mirror, from a distance, my skin looks flawless and i look extra pree-tee :P