Notifications
Clear all

Re-Starting Spiro And Pulling Out All The Stops

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/16/2013 10:17 am

Hi girls. As I've posted before, I tried Spiro for 1 week and I believe it caused me to start to break out much worse than I already was. My acne is relatively mild, and I do not get cysts or nodules. However 5 days on Spiro and I got a deep nodule that is still there after 3 months - this has never happened to me before. So I took a 3 month break to get all my bloodwork done and do tons of research. I've decided to give it another go, however I know that I cannot tolerate an "initial breakout" that may last for 5 months with scarring type acne that I am not currently having. On top of this there is no gauranteeing the Spiro will eventualy work, as my testosterone is quite low. So that being said, I am doing everything in my power to prevent another serious IB. I am on antibiotics (which are currently working very well - I have zero actives), Retin-a and am going to use my duac again. I am eating paleo. I am also paying $100 more a month to get the brand name Aldactone as some have reported that works better. Does anyone have any advice for me? Both my endo and my derm want me to start on 100mg a day. Do you think this will bring on a worse IB? Or would starting lower just make me have an IB everytime I increase my dose? I am so desparate for this to work - I really want to start scar treatments by the end of this year and I need to be 100% clear to do so. I'm fine with waiting 6-9 months for it to work, but I am not fine with my acne getting a thousand times worse. (I still don't understand the science behind why this happens).

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/16/2013 11:18 am

I just restarted 100 mg Spiro also after a brief period of being off it trying to get my hormones back to normal. It's good that you're using retin a and antibiotics also, I just have some leftover retin a and topical antibiotics. I didn't have an IB when I started back on it, if anything it calmed my face down within a couple of days (knock on wood). Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/16/2013 11:20 am

Oh that's so good to hear. I just read your old post and saw you never had an IB and you worked your way up.. Have you ever had hormonal testing done? Seems like it worked quicker for you than for most people.

I just restarted 100 mg Spiro also after a brief period of being off it trying to get my hormones back to normal. It's good that you're using retin a and antibiotics also, I just have some leftover retin a and topical antibiotics. I didn't have an IB when I started back on it, if anything it calmed my face down within a couple of days (knock on wood). Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/16/2013 11:41 am

I was on it for 2-3 years before and worked my way up to 100mg. Then when I started bc pills my skin freaked out and the Spiro wasn't enough to keep it calm. Plus I got kicked off my parents health insurance:/so I figure it was a good time to start over. I was off it probably 3 months and my oily skin and everything came back pretty quickly. Once I knew my cycle was back to normal I hit it again (and paid full price ugh) with 100mg. I didn't have an IB either time but I think when I did break out it was lurking below my skin anyway, so once those came out I was fine

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/16/2013 12:25 pm

Most people here have bad experiences starting on a high dose. Cut your pills in half.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/16/2013 2:48 pm

Just curious what birth control did you start taking? I have a prescription for Ortho Cyclen but didn't want to start it at the same time as Spiro, because then I wouldn't know which medication was having an effect.

Most people here have bad experiences starting on a high dose. Cut your pills in half.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/17/2013 1:47 am

Thanks Green Gables. I am thinking of breaking it in half. Although last time I was on 100 for 1 day, then went down to 50 for the next 6 days and still had that horrible breakout. I just hope the minocycline can hold it off this time.

Why not just do 25mg for a few weeks then? I haven't heard of anyone have an IB on 25mg.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/17/2013 9:09 am

I could...then what happens when I bump up to 50mg? Would I already be "adjusted" so it wouldn't be as bad?

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:44 am

I was on OTC at first, then Seasonique, and I quit taking them after Ocella. I've never been able to find a pill that works for me, I'm reeallllyyy sensitive to any hormonal changes and the pill always shows up on my face as rashes, pimples, and melasma:/

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:57 am

I could...then what happens when I bump up to 50mg? Would I already be "adjusted" so it wouldn't be as bad?

The point of gradually increasing dosage is that your body is able to adjust without freaking out.

If you stick your hand in really hot (but still safe temperature) water, you will yank your hand back out because the difference between room temperature and the water is too large. If you put your hand in lukewarm water and slowly increase the temperature, then you're fine.