Notifications
Clear all

Primer

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/16/2013 2:07 am

I usually skip the primer in my makeup routine and just apply moisturizer (boscia's black hydrating gel), but sometimes my makeup settles into fine lines, or even creates fine lines where there aren't any lol. My foundation is supposed to be anti aging, but I think it needs a good primer to go on smoothly. I would like to find something that is paraben free, noncosmedogenic, does not clog pores, and targets fine lines (I only have a few on days where my skin is on the drier side of its oiliness). Any suggestions?

Primers I tried: korres, boscia, laura mercier, too faced, smashbox, bare minerals... didn't have much success with these. Any other recommendations?

MemberMember
(@gq101)

Posted : 01/18/2013 7:49 pm

try tarte's new bb primer. :) i like how it's water proof and smudgeproof and has "skinvigorating" ingredients. you can actually use it alone if you want sheer coverage. I went to sephora yesterday and the lady gave me a sample. ive used it twice and i still have enough to last me maybe 2 more days. a little goes a long way! it hasn't broken me out either, in fact, it helped dry up whats left of my pimples . I'm gonna purchase a full sized one when my sample runs out. :)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/18/2013 8:50 pm

thanks, I'll ask for a sample to try it out :)

MemberMember
(@laurenholt)

Posted : 01/24/2013 3:23 pm

Try either the Porefessional by Benefit (mattifies skin, reduces pores, redness and makeup never slides off. May be slightly pricier but lasts forever.) or you could try That Gal by Benefit too. I love it because it has camomile in it so it's great for soothing any acne or acne scars. It's really light weight too.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/24/2013 6:40 pm

thanks for the suggestions rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 01/25/2013 2:25 pm

I love this Luminous Primer from 100 Percent Pure. It's the only one I've found that doesn't break me out. A little pricey but it's all natural and lasts a long time. I try to use a really minimal amount too since I have oily skin.

http://www.100percentpure.com/Luminous-Primer-Vitamins-Antioxidants-With-Resve-p/1cfp.htm

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/25/2013 10:34 pm

I love this Luminous Primer from 100 Percent Pure. It's the only one I've found that doesn't break me out. A little pricey but it's all natural and lasts a long time. I try to use a really minimal amount too since I have oily skin.

http://www.100percentpure.com/Luminous-Primer-Vitamins-Antioxidants-With-Resve-p/1cfp.htm

thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of this brand, but I like that they use natural products. Do you use their makeup too?

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 01/26/2013 12:08 am

thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of this brand, but I like that they use natural products. Do you use their makeup too?

No prob! I use their mascara and love it, and also like some of their lip glosses and cheek tint. I don't use any of their face makeup though. Tried their concealer once but it was way too dark for me. I also really love their acne products, at least the cleanser and tonique. Didn't notice any huge improvement with the spot treatment. For face powder, I use Everyday Minerals. Also love Everyday Minerals eye shadows. Right now I'm using Makeup Forever foundation and concealer. It's not natural and I'm not happy about it but it's the only thing that gives me enough coverage right now. Though my skin has improved enough that I only use that on days/nights when I'm doing something where I want to look really nice. Most days I will just throw on the Everyday Minerals powder and it's good enough. RealPurity is another great company. Have only tried their eyeliner pencil and lipsticks so far but I love them both. They make the best natural lipstick if I've ever found. Really bold opaque colors, you'd never know it wasn't a major brand, but without the bad chemicals! I've been looking for and trying out natural cosmetics for years so I'm happy if anyone can learn from my trial and error! :)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/26/2013 12:24 pm

No prob! I use their mascara and love it, and also like some of their lip glosses and cheek tint. I don't use any of their face makeup though. Tried their concealer once but it was way too dark for me. I also really love their acne products, at least the cleanser and tonique. Didn't notice any huge improvement with the spot treatment. For face powder, I use Everyday Minerals. Also love Everyday Minerals eye shadows. Right now I'm using Makeup Forever foundation and concealer. It's not natural and I'm not happy about it but it's the only thing that gives me enough coverage right now. Though my skin has improved enough that I only use that on days/nights when I'm doing something where I want to look really nice. Most days I will just throw on the Everyday Minerals powder and it's good enough. RealPurity is another great company. Have only tried their eyeliner pencil and lipsticks so far but I love them both. They make the best natural lipstick if I've ever found. Really bold opaque colors, you'd never know it wasn't a major brand, but without the bad chemicals! I've been looking for and trying out natural cosmetics for years so I'm happy if anyone can learn from my trial and error! smile.png

wow, thanks for the recommendations. You know way more about natural makeup than I do! I have been using Smashbox healthy FX foundation for 2 years now (healthy fx, not so healthy ingredients, but at least no parabens). Sometimes it looks good, and sometimes it slides off my face or turns orange! It depends on the day and the weather, because I always follow the same prep routine but with different results. It takes too long to apply neatly, so I just use my fingers...but I did choose that over makeup forever because of the SPF and the lighter texture - have you tried it? It hasn't made my acne worse, which is a plus, but when I have inflammed pimples it does feel a bit heavy.

I checked the RealPurity site and they have a natural foundation - have you tried that one? I'm trying to replace smashbox or at least use it less and rotate with mineral makeup.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 01/26/2013 6:50 pm

No prob! I use their mascara and love it, and also like some of their lip glosses and cheek tint. I don't use any of their face makeup though. Tried their concealer once but it was way too dark for me. I also really love their acne products, at least the cleanser and tonique. Didn't notice any huge improvement with the spot treatment. For face powder, I use Everyday Minerals. Also love Everyday Minerals eye shadows. Right now I'm using Makeup Forever foundation and concealer. It's not natural and I'm not happy about it but it's the only thing that gives me enough coverage right now. Though my skin has improved enough that I only use that on days/nights when I'm doing something where I want to look really nice. Most days I will just throw on the Everyday Minerals powder and it's good enough. RealPurity is another great company. Have only tried their eyeliner pencil and lipsticks so far but I love them both. They make the best natural lipstick if I've ever found. Really bold opaque colors, you'd never know it wasn't a major brand, but without the bad chemicals! I've been looking for and trying out natural cosmetics for years so I'm happy if anyone can learn from my trial and error! smile.png

wow, thanks for the recommendations. You know way more about natural makeup than I do! I have been using Smashbox healthy FX foundation for 2 years now (healthy fx, not so healthy ingredients, but at least no parabens). Sometimes it looks good, and sometimes it slides off my face or turns orange! It depends on the day and the weather, because I always follow the same prep routine but with different results. It takes too long to apply neatly, so I just use my fingers...but I did choose that over makeup forever because of the SPF and the lighter texture - have you tried it? It hasn't made my acne worse, which is a plus, but when I have inflammed pimples it does feel a bit heavy.

I checked the RealPurity site and they have a natural foundation - have you tried that one? I'm trying to replace smashbox or at least use it less and rotate with mineral makeup.

No problem! I've just been researching and ordering stuff for like 4 years now so I've amassed quite a list of favorites. :) I haven't tried the RealPurity foundation but if it seems like they'll have a light enough shade for me I'll probably order that when my Makeup Forever runs out. I'd love to be able to replace it with a natural alternative, especially now that my skin's better than it was.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/27/2013 12:19 pm

No problem! I've just been researching and ordering stuff for like 4 years now so I've amassed quite a list of favorites. smile.png I haven't tried the RealPurity foundation but if it seems like they'll have a light enough shade for me I'll probably order that when my Makeup Forever runs out. I'd love to be able to replace it with a natural alternative, especially now that my skin's better than it was.

That's great...I usually amass a list of cosmetics to never try again lol. But I haven't looked into natural lines as much, so this is a great starting point. I emailed RealPurity to see if they have samples because their stuff is a bit pricey.