Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Who Is Worried About Scars, Please Read! They Do Heal By Themselves

MemberMember
(@thegivingtree)

Posted : 01/14/2013 2:33 am

Hello everyone. I haven't been on this site in a while, but when I come on this scar forum I see everyone messing around with different treatments and some even messing up their faces. I thought this was an important message that you guys need to hear.

Scars do heal by themselves

I have had acne for about 2 years and now it is clearing up. I have had many scars left from the acne, but slowly but surely I see them filling in and changing shape as time goes by. While my scars have not completely cleared yet, I can see a lot of them have become much smaller than before, and I have used no treatments whatsoever! The unfortunate thing is the amount that you heal is partially genetically determined; some people will have greater healing while others will have less. However, just because it is genetic doesn't mean you can't change it.

• Eat healthy. Healthy foods increase your body's regenerative capacity.
  • Work out. Working out makes your body release human growth hormone (HGH) which in addition to repairing your muscles will also repair your scars. Guys will wanna lift weights (it will make you look better in other ways too) while girls can jump on the treadmill 3x a week for 15 minutes. I have been following the following weight-lifting routine and its done wonders for me: [Removed]

For anyone who just got rid of their acne, please don't mess around with scar treatments just yet. I assure you your scars WILL fill in to some degree. Follow my advice, and wait at least a year, maybe 2. If after two years you still have scars, then look at scar treatments. Before that time its not worth it to waste money and potentially mess up your face for something that could go away on its own.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:13 pm

I think most people here going through treatments have already waited those two years. But yes, it's sound advice not to jump into treatments while scars are still new and in the healing process. I would wait around two years as well. Now that I personally know my scars don't exactly disappear over the years, I'd still wait for about a year for new scars to heal before treating them in any way.

Part of my current homework right now is to look into the effects of growth hormone on adults. It's quite interesting you bring it up as an important factor. I haven't looked into GH yet, but I know it does have many metabolic effects and thus could affect healing. Other hormones such as thyroxin and cortisol must be quite important as well.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 01/15/2013 1:49 am

You are right about waiting to see if one can get sufficient results naturally. But I think this would apply to those who have superficial and shallow scarring. Judging by your success, you seem to probably have shallow scarring and I do too. I feel that my scars have gotten better and have filled in to an extent which is probably due to the decrease of redness over time. The part where you said, your scars have not completely cleared yet, same goes with mine but the thing is, I'm not sure if they will ever fully disappear and how long. There are very light treatments out there that can be done at home that has been proven to improve scarring, such as derma rolling. People with severe scarring have said that their scars have become much better after a period using the derma roller. If someone with severe scarring can improve their skin, I'm sure anyone with shallow scarring can improve theirs, heck, females that don't even have acne scarring use it to overall improve their skin! It's the only treatment that I see for people with superficial scarring to try and I believe it doesn't have any risk if done correctly. How I see it, the roller would just speed up time on the healing, rather then letting your skin heal naturally at it's own rate.

If you don't know what skin needling is, you should look into it. I was afraid at first but am totally convinced that it carries very little risk if you choose the right needling length and using it properly.

MemberMember
(@anthonytong)

Posted : 01/15/2013 3:44 am

Yes. Some of my shallow scars have filled in. but the larger one seems to remain the same. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@thegivingtree)

Posted : 01/15/2013 5:02 am

Hey guys, just to emphasize the point. I'm very serious about the working out. I had a period where I was hitting the gym 3-4 times a week and a period in which I stopped, and when I was working out, my acne was better, my red spots cleared faster, and my scars healed faster.

You are right about waiting to see if one can get sufficient results naturally. But I think this would apply to those who have superficial and shallow scarring. Judging by your success, you seem to probably have shallow scarring and I do too. I feel that my scars have gotten better and have filled in to an extent which is probably due to the decrease of redness over time. The part where you said, your scars have not completely cleared yet, same goes with mine but the thing is, I'm not sure if they will ever fully disappear and how long. There are very light treatments out there that can be done at home that has been proven to improve scarring, such as derma rolling. People with severe scarring have said that their scars have become much better after a period using the derma roller. If someone with severe scarring can improve their skin, I'm sure anyone with shallow scarring can improve theirs, heck, females that don't even have acne scarring use it to overall improve their skin! It's the only treatment that I see for people with superficial scarring to try and I believe it doesn't have any risk if done correctly. How I see it, the roller would just speed up time on the healing, rather then letting your skin heal naturally at it's own rate.

If you don't know what skin needling is, you should look into it. I was afraid at first but am totally convinced that it carries very little risk if you choose the right needling length and using it properly.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 01/17/2013 10:20 pm

Hey guys, just to emphasize the point. I'm very serious about the working out. I had a period where I was hitting the gym 3-4 times a week and a period in which I stopped, and when I was working out, my acne was better, my red spots cleared faster, and my scars healed faster.

How long has it been since your acne subsided?

My acne didn't all stop at once it slowly decreased, meaning over time I saw less whiteheads. My acne jounrey was pretty much an slow increase in the numbers of whiteheads and then decrease. I would say a year or so. The minor scarring left behind, I would say filled in a little bit but definitely not as much noticeable as before because the redness has healed/ still healing. Redness makes scars look worse then they actually are and also too much oil can also make scars look worse then they actually are.

MemberMember
(@thegivingtree)

Posted : 01/21/2013 1:32 pm

I agree with you that the redness does make them look worse. I think even after a year there is still time for it to get better.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 05/06/2013 8:35 pm

what makes a scar deep or shallow?

MemberMember
(@anthony180)

Posted : 05/07/2013 4:37 pm

i have a question.. what about if you had red mark scars that improved very much with time but then you got in tanning bed and some of the old red marks that were pretty much faded and unnoticeable suddendly became brown? i got 2 new brown marks that arent very deep at all but may go into the 2nd layer of skin not sure... there not deep tho if the color wasnt there you wouldnt see the scar.. im just worried about the brownish/reddish mark... cause i have red marks on my face but it doesnt look bad, but the brown mark stands out.. please help

MemberMember
(@berserk)

Posted : 05/08/2013 7:46 pm

i dont doubt they heal if you let your skin be, but my acne persists and dont seem to get better with time (15-23) so im stuck with bp which is drying my skin and causing scarring, never had a single scar before it, now im getting indents everywhere, even where i dont have acne, some are even widening and going deeper, i would quit but lets be honest what options do i have, experimenting with other things, expecially going to dermatologists will only result in more acne and probably cause other side effects or same, plus i would just throw my money away for nothing better

people who dont have more severe type of acne are soooo lucky