What Moisturizer An...

Notifications
Clear all

What Moisturizer And Foundation Should I Use For Extremely Dry Skin?

MemberMember
(@jess-n)

Posted : 01/13/2013 8:52 pm

Hello everyone.

I am on my second week of the acne.org regimen. It is clearing up my acne bumps a little bit but my skin is so dry. It's disgusting to look at. Unfortunately I've always had an issue with that even before using the regimen. But now thanks to the benzyl peroxide it is just so so dry. I need to wear makeup to cover all the acne scars I have on my face and to even out my skintone. I use Revlon Colorstay combo/oily. I've used this foundation for a couple years because it is the only foundation that covers my acne scars. But now my skin just looks so dry and scaly when I apply it. I'm so embarrased when people talk to me because of how dry my skin is. Does anyone know of any amazing moisturizer and foundation that I can use to hopefully fix this problem? Every moisturizer that I use doesn't eliminate all the flakes on my face.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/13/2013 10:19 pm

Hi Jes, I also have naturally dry skin even before starting the regimen so I too suffered badly with flaky skin. I'm afraid there is no sure answer to combat it as everyone is different.

I found that the best thing that worked for me was to go without makeup in the first 4 weeks of starting the regimen. Now don't get me wrong, this was a HUGE step for me as I had never gone to work without my thick layer of foundation (or protective layer as I like to now call it). But the thing that worked for me was that I avoided the bathroom mirror at work, and I still applied eye makeup and lipstick but avoided foundation. To be honest, no one at work even batted an eyelid. I'm sure that they noticed (no way could they help noticing) but they didnt react or say anything. That led me to thinking that we are our own worse enemies as far as appearance goes. After two days of not wearing makeup I was much less self conscious and could start to actually concentrate on work rather than my appearance.

Now the times that I did wear foundation (if I was going out etc) what I did was to apply 3 layers of dans moisturiser mixed with a gallon (make that 8 drops) of jojoba oil onto my face. I then let that soak in for about 10 mins, gave it another small rub in with my fingers and then applied liquid foundation (I switched from seiseido to Almay) with my fingers and then used a foundation brush in a stipple motion to blend it all in. What I was left with was a face that looked completely greasy and oily with the foundation looking like it was just sitting on an oil slick, but after 20 mins it would all soak in and look ok. And by ok, I only mean ok. Didnt look great, but it didnt look awful either. I found that this would last a maximum of 4 - 6 hours and then my face would be very dry and flaky again, made to look worse because of the foundation which would emphasise the flakes. So again, if you can possibly avoid foundation in the first few weeks then do it.

Another moisturiser which is great for dry skin and the regimen is Cetaphil moisturising lotion. Its thick and greasy and moisturises really well if you can tolerate the thickness of it.

Anyway, good luck with it all. Unfortunately you are only into the 2nd week. I'm afraid that the first 4-5 weeks are usually hard work but it does get better if you're consistant and persistant.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/13/2013 10:31 pm

Grapeseed oil