Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I suffer from a condition called Dermatillomania, which is the urge to pick at one's own skin to the extent that damaged is caused and the ability to stop picking is compromised. I had acne at a young age, as it was diagnosed, but it either turned into Dermatillomania or maybe I always had a little bit of both.

Many of you on this site probably have the same issues I do and acne sufferers are prone to Dermatillomania. Many times, we are diagnosed with acne by a dermatologist but they do not realize that we are causing the marks to our skin as well. I went too many years misdiagnosed and then treated for another skin condition, Lichen Simplex Chronicus, which I did not have. I have been on Accutane twice with the lower dosage of the second round causing an allergic reaction to my hands and arms, which are now highly sensitive to water if not dried properly.

Please know that you are not alone! I thought I was for far too many years and it took those years away from me.

<3 Angie

Dermatillomania is a real problem for me. It really confused my derm why my skin was not improving and every week when I saw her my skin had new scabs. Little did she know I was picking.

Dermatillomania is a real problem for me. It really confused my derm why my skin was not improving and every week when I saw her my skin had new scabs. Little did she know I was picking.

I had the same experiences. My first time with Accutane my skin healed relatively quick. I've been on general antibiotics for a few years but came off of them because they weren't healing my skin (or were, but I was countering it with picking at my skin) and because I didn't want to continue to build a resistance toward them for a day when I'd really need them.

Dermatologists should be trained to recognize the symptoms of Dermatillomania emotionally and especially physically when there are visible opened scabs. It took mine a long time to see this. sad.png

Have you been able to control it now?

Not really... it has improved because of the supplement NAC I'm taking for it (it's a trial drug for hair pulling and skin picking) and being able to deal with a lot of my own issues surrounding the disorder and life itself has improved the severity of it. I only have one tiny mirror in my house, so little changes to avert my urges have been put in place but I haven't yet been able to get rid of it.

I've done the same, covered one mirror with a towel and the bathroom mirror I have put away execpt for once a day to shave. And even then I put a timer on to limit my time in bathroom. I also wear gloves when Im feeling especially anxious. Sounds ridiculous but seems its the only way

Not really... it has improved because of the supplement NAC I'm taking for it (it's a trial drug for hair pulling and skin picking) and being able to deal with a lot of my own issues surrounding the disorder and life itself has improved the severity of it. I only have one tiny mirror in my house, so little changes to avert my urges have been put in place but I haven't yet been able to get rid of it.

Hi! Just came across this- where did you get NAC? I have both a hair pulling (trichotillomania) and skin picking (dermotillomania) I have never heard of any tx other than talk therapy!

Hi! Just came across this- where did you get NAC? I have both a hair pulling (trichotillomania) and skin picking (dermotillomania) I have never heard of any tx other than talk therapy!

Hey!

You can buy it at a health food store or online through notable vendors (I buy from swansonvitamins) and there was a study done showing significant improvement. I tried it and also seen about a 70% reduction after over a decade of chronic picking. :)

Oh, and there are plenty of other treatments available. While it may not cure either disorder, it can help lessen the severity of the symptoms:

- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (specifically Habit-Reversal Therapy and Exposure Therapy)

- Anti-depressants

- "fiddle toys"

- Hypnosis

General wellness tips can also help diffuse symptoms such as a proper sleep schedule, dietary changes, exercise/ yoga. :)

Edited by SkinPickingSupport