Notifications
Clear all

34Yr Old Female/moderate But Persistent Acne On The Tane

MemberMember
(@agatharaisin)

Posted : 01/13/2013 1:18 pm

Hey all,

As you've already read, I'm a 34-year-old female starting Accutane. This will be my second course. I took the stuff 14 years ago in college to battle severe cystic acne. The cysts came back about six years later and I've been at war with them ever since. Luckily, this time around there weren't as many on my face at once (they just made up for that by being bigger and more painful). And honestly, as hard as it was to have acne in my teens, it's mortifying as an adult in the workplace when most other people's complexions have already cleared up. And if one more person told me that oily skin meant it would take longer for me to show wrinkles, I was going to punch them. So, I've welcomed Accutane back into my life. Though now he's calling himself Claravis.

Anyway, things you should know: I'm also currently suffering from a mortifying case of folliculitis caused by an upper lip wax at a local nail place that "double dipped" (you don't want to know). There are tiny whiteheads all over my face from my eyes down. It started around Thanksgiving, went completely away, and then started up again after Christmas. I'm taking a strong antibiotic for the next week and using Clindamycin until they are all gone. I was a little bit afraid of using both with the Accutane, but my derm said it was a must.

I also suffer from endometriosis which has beyond a doubt ruined my ability to have kids and guess what? I still have to go through all the crazy iPledge questions and be on birth control.

I haven't come up with a regimen yet to use while on the tane (it's just day 1). I don't remember what I did before and I'm hoping that it will let me get through all the anti-aging serums I have were too thick/oily for me to use before. I have everything from Dermalogica to Biolements to Perricone to Juice Beauty to Ole Henriksen to Mario Badescu.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what they used while they were Accutane, please do tell! I'm a bit afraid to use creamy cleansers like Cetaphil or Purity Made Simple on my skin. Do they actually get all the gunk out of your pores? I live in a major city and I don't even what to think about what's left on my face after I get out of the subway. Smog? Residual rat dung?

Has anyone used a Clarisonic while taking this drug? Even just once a week?

Anyway, I'm going to try to update everyday so I can keep track of my progress. I know I shouldn't see results until at the earliest after 30 days, but in the back of my mind I'm hoping by some miracle my skin will by drying out by the end of the week. One can always hope, right? I can't wait for my blackheads to start falling out. From what I remember, that is the best, am I right?

Sorry this is so long! Shorter updates in the future.

Current regimen:

AM:

Exuviance Antibacterial Cleanser

Clindamycin Lotion

No eye cream because of the folliculitis

Bare Minerals Combination Skin Moisturizer with SPF

No makeup

PM:

Exuviance Antibacterial Cleanser

Clyndamycin Lotion

No moisturizer/eye cream because of the folliculitis

Every other day: Peter Thomas Roth Treatment Mask to dry up the folliculitis. This has been a godsend!

MemberMember
(@agatharaisin)

Posted : 01/14/2013 9:11 pm

So day 2 on 30mg a day. No side effects, but I'm wondering if my dose is not high enough. I weigh 118lbs--20lbs more than I weighed during my first course in my 20s, yet I'm on half the dose. Today was the first day I took the Claravis with 1 tablespoon of Flax Seed oil.

My forehead is also bumpier than it's ever been. Boy do I want to exfoliate. Otherwise, no headaches, muscle aches, bone aches, or depression. I actually had a more productive day at work today. I think, and I'm just putting it out there, that knowing in a few months my skin will be clear makes me obsess less about it and I don't worry much about how bad it looks now. Not sure how long that feeling will last though.

Still using the same regimen, as my skin hasn't dried out yet. Have no idea what I'm going to use once it does.

I did just find out I'm going to be the godmother to my cousin's son, and I really hope my face clears before the baptism. I haven't allowed a picture to be taken of me since 2008, I just can't bear it. But I'm afraid it would be rude to duck them at something like this.

Have a great night!

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 01/14/2013 11:38 pm

Most people start out with a low dose and then go higher after the first month or two. I was started at 40 mg and then for the second month was on 80 mg (I weigh 140 pounds=63.5 kilograms). :) I'm sure it will be fine.

MemberMember
(@iiiexocetiii)

Posted : 01/15/2013 10:55 am

I will definitley be following your progress on this. I myself started on 80mg/day and as well this is my 2nd go around. I am 29 years old so our ages our similar. For me I have come across a pretty nasty onslaught of symptoms. I beleive this is because I immediatley started with 80mg/day. My face is the worst part about this. Hurts like hell. Hope all goes well 2nd time around. Good luck.

I myself have a log that will be updating daily in case you are interested. Just check my profile

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 01/31/2013 11:40 pm

I also look forward to following your progress. I am thirty years old and it's nice to see someone else around the same age to relate to. Can totally relate to struggling with problems in the workplace--it's hard to function in a professional setting when you're insecure about your face of all things. I'm planning to start Accutane next month after dealing with acne for ten years. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@missstarz)

Posted : 02/01/2013 6:28 pm

Hello Agatha,

I am 34 also and will be starting my first time on Tane this coming week if all my bloodwork I did today is OK (should be). My skin is probably similair I get mild to moderate face breakouts but have troublesome Cystic Acne that has come and gone for years.. I've gone through every med face cream and the shots etc... The minocycline actually worked pretty well but I was on it for so log 4 or 5 years and it was causing other issues making me sick. I'm nervous about tane but my derm seems confident. Anyway hope all goes well so we'll be starting about the same time. They are starting me on 10mg prolly taper up to 50 or 60 final I am around 125 lbs. Also I don't know if it will help with smog and dirt but for makeup remover I use Estee Lauder Take It Away, it works really good and while it looks creamy it doesn't leave any film or clog pores.. Leaves skin soft.. The makeup counter can prolly give sample or I know for a fact its returnable if you don't like it cause I asked when I bought mine cause my skin is sensitive. Hope all goes well

MemberMember
(@missstarz)

Posted : 02/07/2013 8:48 pm

Hi Agatha, Hows the Tane going? I started mine on Tues!