Notifications
Clear all

Scar Treatment In The Uk?

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:58 am

Hi, so this isn't to do with regimen supplies, but I wanted to ask a UK specific question so I thought this would be the place to get the right audience...

I haven't been to a dermatologist (but might yet.) I'm wondering do they offer scar treatments? Or just roaccutane etc? You hear the US people talking about all kinds of fancy dermarolling and lasers... is anything like that available to us? I guess maybe not on the NHS but do they recommend you get it done privately? Or do they not see scarring as an issue for them to fix and/or are these procedures not effective? -I haven't looked into that yet because I didn't know if it was relevant.

I dunno, maybe time and retin-a is all I need but I am just so upset about all these red marks and scars sad.png It is better than active acne... but not much sad.png I'm so embarrassed, especially as I'm older.

MemberMember
(@italiangeek)

Posted : 01/13/2013 2:46 pm

Heyy, I had IPL for some scars/red marks on my forehead. I was also offered dermaroller and I was tempted as Ive seen the results being good. But none of this was on the NHS, I went private. I gave up with the NHS helping me to be honest, my doctor was good but anymore than the basic requests were basically laughed at.

I had three treatments of IPL over a few months and it did improve my scars; so thats what I would recommend. Depending where you are in the UK I know a couple of good places around Birmingham/The Midlands

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/14/2013 2:23 pm

Hi! Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful. I think I might look into it a bit more then... It's good to know you think it was worth it. Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I might not be able to afford it now but maybe in a few years... the scars will still be there! I'm down south but thanks for offering recommendations -the thought of letting someone mess with my face is kinda scary but I guess you have to trust they know what they're doing!

MemberMember
(@italiangeek)

Posted : 01/14/2013 2:47 pm

It was about 80 a treatment. It was a bit strange, especially as it involved light/lazer

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/17/2013 2:06 pm

Ok I might be able to afford that, thanks so much for the info! How much of a difference did it make?

MemberMember
(@italiangeek)

Posted : 01/17/2013 2:30 pm

Ye it did, it takes about a week for the skin to calm down after the treatment and then about two months to really see the results after your course. I had two years of scars on my forehead that faded after the treatment. I would have had it on my whole face but the lazer is actually used for hair removal as well so would have stopped me growing stubble