Moisturiser For Oil...

Notifications
Clear all

Moisturiser For Oily/greasy Skin

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 01/13/2013 8:20 am

Hey Folks,

I have just registered to this site which seems amazing. I hope to encounter my very bad acne, oily/greasy skin & acne scaring.

My name is Dan, Male, 18 from the UK.

I was wondering what moisturiser I should use on a daily basis. I get greasy/oily skin after 2-3 hours after washing my face. I have to wash my face frequently because of this.

Right now I am using Skinfood Moistureiser - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinfood-1-Nourishing-Moisturiser-100mls/dp/B001D81YHG/

I don't think this is helping me with my acne/greasy skin.

Is there any recommendations on what I could use instead?

And hopefully the product is available in the UK.

Also any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:51 am

I've never believed in moisturizing, especially if you're already oily. Sebum doesn't moisturize but it's already greasy looking enough like that. Don't add insult to injury.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/13/2013 8:50 pm

I wouldn't moisturize either unless you find your skin crazy dry. You mentioned that you wash your face often? Over washing can irritate your skin and make it dry and red, any more than 3 times in a 12 hour span may be doing more harm than good. I'd recommend gently blotting your face with a paper towel or toilet paper to soak up any excess oil if you feel it needs it, instead of washing your face 10 times a day. And if you still find your skin being dry, try taking cooler showers. A long, hot shower feels good but will dry out your face like you would not believe.

Bottom line, if you have very oily skin (like me) I'm not sure a moisturizer is necessary.

EDIT: Maybe using a Witch Hazel or Apple Cider Vinegar Toner would be something good to try. They help even out skin tone and fight acne, and if used correctly can seal in moisture for your skin. The trick is to use something that doesn't irritate your skin, so redness awhile after using a product generally means it's too strong for your skin. I've had luck using the ACV toner, I posted my routine a couple weeks ago. It might work for you, or it might not. If you want to look at it, it's here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/324606-flakydryoily-skin-try-this/

Good Luck.

MemberMember
(@beavinator)

Posted : 01/15/2013 4:21 am

Great, thanks for the advice.

I have tried not using moisturiser for a couple days now and my face is getting flakey.

It's almost like I have to use the moisturiser.

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 01/15/2013 1:49 pm

I have crazy oily skin, but still need to use a moisturizer. I just use plain old Cetaphil. About 10 minutes after applying it, I follow up with the Murad mattifier to help control the oil.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 01/22/2013 9:40 am

I used to use Cetaphil on my oily skin but it just made it even worse. It looked like my face was full of grease.

I then changed to Nivea for Men moisturiser thinking it would be rubbish since Cetaphil was the top one but I was wrong. The Nivea one has calmed down on my oiliness and really helped me a lot. I definitely recommend it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/22/2013 10:40 am

Moisturizer calming down oiliness is nothing but a placebo effect since they have absolutely no effect on the oil production. Only androgens do.

MemberMember
(@nfamousjade)

Posted : 01/22/2013 9:35 pm

Try murad oil control mattifier with spf15

MemberMember
(@aubreyj1722)

Posted : 01/23/2013 9:01 pm

Hi I have super oily skin also. I really like Neutrogena's oil free moisturizer for combination skin. I never left me greasy or oily throughout the day. Unfortunately they didn't have any last time I needed some so I bought the sensitive skin formula and I don't like it; it makes my skin greasy and gross. Hope you find something that works for you!

MemberMember
(@sgreen5909)

Posted : 01/27/2013 9:34 pm

I have really oily acne prone skin but the past week I have washed with st. Ives apricot scrub and in the morning before my shower I apply honey to my face. Honey helps your skin to retain moisture btw and it kills acne pretty well. Anyways I rinse the honey off last and pat my skin dry. My oil production has reduced dramatically and my acne is clearing up pretty good. Before all this you could see your reflection in my face because it was so oily lol.I will never stop using this remedy. Also use as pure of a honey that you can so that you get the most benefits as you can.

MemberMember
(@quackattack)

Posted : 01/30/2013 9:38 pm

Do you apply the st. ives while the honey is still on your face?

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 01/31/2013 5:31 pm

Moisturizer calming down oiliness is nothing but a placebo effect since they have absolutely no effect on the oil production. Only androgens do.

Well it works for me, your loss.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/31/2013 9:04 pm

It doesn't, it's all in your head. Why would a moisturizer change your hormone levels?

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 02/01/2013 5:48 am

Use one drop of jojoba oil, which is actually a waxy ester and helps reduce sebum production in the skin. Make sure to pat your skin down with a towel afterwards though. Also try using diluted peppermint oil in some form; I have it in my soap. Both things are meant to reduce oil when given time to work.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/01/2013 10:08 am

Oil to reduce oil, because fuck logic.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 02/01/2013 4:47 pm

1) Jojoba is an ester, not an oil. It's only called an oil. Because fuck reading whole posts.

2) Oil dissolves oil. But fuck science too right?

3) I use both these things. I'm clear and my skin isn't oily anymore. But fuck proven success in some individuals right?

4) That stick can't be comfortable up there mate. Now let the friendly people help the nice lad. You've already given your... 'advice'.

MemberMember
(@calidrummer)

Posted : 02/01/2013 5:28 pm

On a Clear Day Oil-Free Moisturizer (1.8oz.) $23.00

[Removed]

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/01/2013 10:23 pm

Proven personnal succes? Wecome to the internet! Where is Bryan?

MemberMember
(@lacydecay)

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:55 am

Hey Folks,

I have just registered to this site which seems amazing. I hope to encounter my very bad acne, oily/greasy skin & acne scaring.

My name is Dan, Male, 18 from the UK.

I was wondering what moisturiser I should use on a daily basis. I get greasy/oily skin after 2-3 hours after washing my face. I have to wash my face frequently because of this.

Right now I am using Skinfood Moistureiser - http://www.amazon.co...58083008&sr=8-2

I don't think this is helping me with my acne/greasy skin.

Is there any recommendations on what I could use instead?

And hopefully the product is available in the UK.

Also any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan :) Well I can recommend you a good natural moisturiser which is really good for oily skin because it contains peppermint oils. My sister uses it and it keeps her oily skin looking a lot less shiny and reduces break-outs.

It's not in the UK at the mo though. It should be, and they normally are, but they're out of stock right now. You can still get them from the USA though (surprisingly for cheaper that you could in the UK - even with the shipping cost included). It's still not the cheapest moisturiser around though (over £20 each). But it really does seem to work.

It's called Mint White Tea Moisturizer by 100% Pure. Here's a link ... http://www.thegreenkiss.com/Mint-White-Tea-Moisturizer-p/100pp-moisturizer-white-tea.htm

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/02/2013 8:47 am

A man cannot use peppermint oil because it is estrogenic, cases of gynecomastia have been reported on very sensitive people. Substances that are disrupting hormones are never suitable for men. That's the reason anything would reduce oily skin, altering male hormones.

MemberMember
(@wasawawa)

Posted : 02/04/2013 2:08 am

I got oily skin too man. Some days I put on moisterizer if I'm feeling dry but usually just let it be. Drink water and splash cold water on your face. That's just what I've found is good for oily skin, and I am an oily fucker sometimes.

MemberMember
(@jjelsie8)

Posted : 02/07/2013 4:55 pm

1) Jojoba is an ester, not an oil. It's only called an oil. Because fuck reading whole posts.

2) Oil dissolves oil. But fuck science too right?

3) I use both these things. I'm clear and my skin isn't oily anymore. But fuck proven success in some individuals right?

4) That stick can't be comfortable up there mate. Now let the friendly people help the nice lad. You've already given your... 'advice'.

Oil to reduce oil, because fuck logic.

haha British sarcasm makes me laugh... But she is right. Oil DOES dissolve oil. It just depends on what type of oil you use. Obviously if you use an oil with pore clogging properties it will not dissolve (like baby oil or canola oil)... BUT certain oils have non-pore clogging properties that are actually the only thing that will dissolve oil from the face (like jojoba, mint and even extra virgin olive oil)... Its just science. People should do more research before they give advice that they think is correct!

Even if you simply google it, its all right there. :)

MemberMember
(@777lb)

Posted : 02/14/2013 12:53 am

I've tried alot of moisturizers for my oily face, none worked =(

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/28/2013 12:35 pm

I don't use a moisturizer, except when my skin is really dry or flaking (due to salicylic acid).

Anyway, there is one poster on the forum who claims that topical green tea is supposed to decrease sebum production by inhibiting an enzyme (alpha-5-reductase) that converts testosterone to more active DHT in the skin. It sounds fairly interesting to me and I'm considering giving it a try. So a moisturizer with green tea might be a good idea. However, after quick searching I haven't been able to find any one product with green tea that would seem suitable for me, but I'm still looking.

And I should say, this poster's website seems to be sponsored by one producer of green-tea skin products. So even though I don't doubt his sincerity, I do still have a bit of skepticism regarding his praise. But it does seem like something possibly worth trying.

More info here: http://www.acneeinstein.com/green-tea-acne/