Notifications
Clear all

*important* Diet And Using Creams? Help?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/13/2013 4:20 am

Hi. I've been on a diet (full diet that's now complete.) which is basically avoiding all foods I am intolerant to, which I got a test done and I'd been having a fair bit of them. But they have ALL been cut out for the past 3 days. No, I'm not having junk food, such as Mcdonalds, soft drinks etc, a lot of protein and vegetables and snacks that aren't bad.

I've been following what my nutritionist has been telling me to do. And I take vitamin supplements as well btw. Anyway, I've been seeing her for about 2 months, and now I can fully start a diet as she is saying without eating any foods I'm intolerant to.

I was clearing up for a bit one week, but now I've had a few red pimples on my chin, and I was wondering:

1. Is it norm to get new pimples that early in on the diet, is it to say it won't work? or would these pimples be from before hand.

2. I have a Benzac AC 5% cream I used which worked a bit, and was working (only used it for 2 weeks.) but should I just let the diet do it's job, or would using the cream help? only issue is I don't want it to interfeir with the diet, PROLONG MY ACNE, or make the situation worse.

please answer

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/13/2013 9:00 am

The BP or whatever you put on your face may make your acne better or worse, but they don't interfere with the benefits of your diet. But considering all the bad advice I'm constantly seeing nutritionists give on tv, I wouldn't blindly follow yours.

The BP or whatever you put on your face may make your acne better or worse, but they don't interfere with the benefits of your diet. But considering all the bad advice I'm constantly seeing nutritionists give on tv, I wouldn't blindly follow yours.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/13/2013 9:32 pm

I can see what you're saying, I'll stick away from BP for now. Anyway, so is it perfectly normal to see new pimples this early into the diet? I hear it can take 2 weeks for pimples to appear...

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/14/2013 8:06 pm

bump ... anyone?

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 01/15/2013 12:04 am

Can't really say much because with any regimen, you should ideally give it a month before you make any calls. 3 months is usually the length of time to see significant change. Then there's also what you mentioned, about pimples surfacing and the time it takes.

What's your diet like btw?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/15/2013 1:48 am

Can't really say much because with any regimen, you should ideally give it a month before you make any calls. 3 months is usually the length of time to see significant change. Then there's also what you mentioned, about pimples surfacing and the time it takes.

ATM it's basically:

Breakfast:

Some sort of meat (Steak or fish.) with a few vegetables

Corn cakes (healthy) with cheese. I usually have a few of these

Snack: More corn cakes with cheese

Lunch: Generally something like mash potato a few vegetables and beef mints.

Dinner: A meat, again usually Steak or fish with vegetables, (usually Cabbage, carrot, broccoli, coli flower, corn)

And add up about 2ltrs of water every day.

I'm thinking of cutting out all of my cheese and reducing my carbs to a limit of 35 or 50 something and primarily having meat and vegetables and not so much corn etc, like it was before. And I'm taking supplements as well through out the day.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/15/2013 6:16 am

ATM it's basically:

Breakfast:

Some sort of meat (Steak or fish.) with a few vegetables

Corn cakes (healthy) with cheese. I usually have a few of these

Lunch: Generally something like mash potato a few vegetables and beef mints.

Dinner: A meat, again usually Steak or fish with vegetables, (usually Cabbage, carrot, broccoli, coli flower, corn)

And add up about 2ltrs of water every day.

I'm thinking of cutting out all of my cheese and reducing my carbs to a limit of 35 or 50 something and primarily having meat and vegetables and not so much corn etc, like it was before. And I'm taking supplements as well through out the day.

Dude i can say right now that if you're nutritionist is advocating cheese then get rid of her.

General health or skin probs, this is not optimal.

Also what is your logic to reducing carbs to below 50 grams a day?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:34 am

What ar these corn cakes you are eating all day?

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 01/15/2013 10:25 am

I'm a little concerned about the corn cakes as well. Corn has very little nutritional value and I think most nutritional experts would advocate to reduce, not increase, corn consumption.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/16/2013 4:22 pm

The corn cakes are basically 99.5% corn and the rest being some sort of salt. Is corn bad for you? and yeah ... I dunno, I am kind of doubtful about it all.

If I've been having a fair bit of cheese for about 4 days, how long would it take my body to get over that? in general?

If she's bad and probably not going to help, what should I do? should I go see someone else? what's the best recommendation.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/16/2013 5:39 pm

What kind of corn? Sweet corn? Corn meal or flour, which is made frame a different kind of less sweet corn?

They may or may not be bad for you, but they aren't a great source of nutrition, are probably fairly high GI, and seem to make up a big part of your diet.

Why are you seeing a nutritionist?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/16/2013 6:10 pm

What kind of corn? Sweet corn? Corn meal or flour, which is made frame a different kind of less sweet corn?

They may or may not be bad for you, but they aren't a great source of nutrition, are probably fairly high GI, and seem to make up a big part of your diet.

In it's ingredients it says "Organic Maize" no added sugar etc. I'm only going to be having 2 "corn cakes" a day due to me limiting my carbs to 35g per day.

And I am seeing a nutritionist as I've been telling my mum that I believe my acne is coming from inside. The nutritionist is part of a well being centre and she did a Body scan test showing my imbalances in everything, such as zinc etc and we got a Food intolerance test done, showing all the foods I'm intolerant to and says I have/had leaky gut sydnrome. She helps, but sometimes I think she says some wrong things when it comes to acne. Like "You can have cheese if you want" etc.

Is there a certain type of doctor who could help me with this?

EDIT: Also, I am allergic to Fructose, and my nutritionist said to limit it to about 4g per day, the ONLY fruit I have is 1 orange. dunno if that matters and I have splenda in some healthy sweets, such as coconut.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/16/2013 9:25 pm

I agree that if you are trying the nutrional side of things, dairy and gluten should be the first to go. Also, restricting carbs is not always the best way to go about things. I get that paleo works for some people but there is no need to do ten million diet changes at the same time. Why not:

chuck the dairy (milk, cheese, butter)

chuck the gluten

replace your bad grains with healthier options like root vegetables and brown rice

Up your intake of vegetables.

As someone else stated, it can take at least 2 months to see noticeable improvement (reduction in acne, etc) so try not to judge your acne from day to day.

Good Luck

BTW: Corn is of no benefit to you so ditch the corn cakes (they are ok as a once in a while treat but should definitely not be a regular part of your everyday diet)

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/16/2013 10:44 pm

I agree that if you are trying the nutrional side of things, dairy and gluten should be the first to go. Also, restricting carbs is not always the best way to go about things. I get that paleo works for some people but there is no need to do ten million diet changes at the same time. Why not:

chuck the gluten

replace your bad grains with healthier options like root vegetables and brown rice

As someone else stated, it can take at least 2 months to see noticeable improvement (reduction in acne, etc) so try not to judge your acne from day to day.

Good Luck

BTW: Corn is of no benefit to you so ditch the corn cakes (they are ok as a once in a while treat but should definitely not be a regular part of your everyday diet)

chuck the gluten

Good Luck

I'm basically doing that already haha, I haven't had gluten for a few months, and I found out I am allergic (intolerant) to Gluten, yeast etc, along with cane sugar.) but not dairy. I only started having dairy (cheese) the first 4 days into the diet after I knew everything I'm intolerant to, and it was the first time in a month or so that I had dairy, but yeah. I just won't have it to be on the safe side.

And may I ask, is corn BAD for you? or is it just a pointless food to have? I basically have a high protein diet along with vegetables for every meal, except sometimes breakfast I just have fish.

MemberMember
(@tetrad)

Posted : 01/16/2013 11:48 pm

On 1/17/2013 at 9:44 AM, Jekester said:

I'm basically doing that already haha, I haven't had gluten for a few months, and I found out I am allergic (intolerant) to Gluten, yeast etc, along with cane sugar.) but not dairy. I only started having dairy (cheese) the first 4 days into the diet after I knew everything I'm intolerant to, and it was the first time in a month or so that I had dairy, but yeah. I just won't have it to be on the safe side.

And may I ask, is corn BAD for you? or is it just a pointless food to have? I basically have a high protein diet along with vegetables for every meal, except sometimes breakfast I just have fish.

It sure isn't good for you!

"...corn should not make up the veggie section of your meal plate, because its a high-glycemic sugarfest. In sum: corn is not a vegetable, and its a worthless grain."

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/17/2013 12:21 am

On 1/17/2013 at 10:48 AM, don said:
On 1/17/2013 at 9:44 AM, Jekester said:

It sure isn't good for you!

"...corn should not make up the veggie section of your meal plate, because its a high-glycemic sugarfest. In sum: corn is not a vegetable, and its a worthless grain."

[Removed]

I guess I'll be stopping corn then. Btw how long would it take for my body to heal over eating cheese and corn for about 4 days and start healing again? thanks if anyone can help with that.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/17/2013 4:33 am

In it's ingredients it says "Organic Maize" no added sugar etc. I'm only going to be having 2 "corn cakes" a day due to me limiting my carbs to 35g per day.

And I am seeing a nutritionist as I've been telling my mum that I believe my acne is coming from inside. The nutritionist is part of a well being centre and she did a Body scan test showing my imbalances in everything, such as zinc etc and we got a Food intolerance test done, showing all the foods I'm intolerant to and says I have/had leaky gut sydnrome. She helps, but sometimes I think she says some wrong things when it comes to acne. Like "You can have cheese if you want" etc.

EDIT: Also, I am allergic to Fructose, and my nutritionist said to limit it to about 4g per day, the ONLY fruit I have is 1 orange. dunno if that matters and I have splenda in some healthy sweets, such as coconut.

Dude why only 35 grams of carbs a day? Without knowing your measurements i can say right now that is too low. Even fitness models eat more carbs than that and they only drop that low when they are drying out and doing glycogen depletion. Where did get the idea of 35grams of carbs from?

I am all for reducing carbs but that is seriously low. You keep that low all of the time you risk stalling your metabolism and actually causing metabolic damage.

Bring your carbs up. This is a very generic estimate but assuming you're average weight and height bring the carbs up to 100 to 150grams a day. That is still low enough but not so low you stall out.

Good sources of carbs. Gluten free oats, gluten free pasta, sweet potatoes, quinoa, veg, white rice ( please don't anyone say anything about the GI of white rice as it is almost the same as brown) Brown rice, arguably a better nutritional source than white rice.

Keep your protein high and keep a moderate amount of fat in your diet say 80 to 90grams a day (again a generic estimate)

Good fats, olive oil, udos oil, coconut oil, nuts like almonds and walnuts, oily fish like salmon.

You need to have a serious rethink here and educate yourself about nutrition.

Cut the corn flakes and cheese for a start and start eating nutrient dense foods as listed above.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/17/2013 4:52 am

Dude why only 35 grams of carbs a day? Without knowing your measurements i can say right now that is too low. Even fitness models eat more carbs than that and they only drop that low when they are drying out and doing glycogen depletion. Where did get the idea of 35grams of carbs from?

I am all for reducing carbs but that is seriously low. You keep that low all of the time you risk stalling your metabolism and actually causing metabolic damage.

Bring your carbs up. This is a very generic estimate but assuming you're average weight and height bring the carbs up to 100 to 150grams a day. That is still low enough but not so low you stall out.

Good sources of carbs. Gluten free oats, gluten free pasta, sweet potatoes, quinoa, veg, white rice ( please don't anyone say anything about the GI of white rice as it is almost the same as brown) Brown rice, arguably a better nutritional source than white rice.

Keep your protein high and keep a moderate amount of fat in your diet say 80 to 90grams a day (again a generic estimate)

Good fats, olive oil, udos oil, coconut oil, nuts like almonds and walnuts, oily fish like salmon.

Cut the corn flakes and cheese for a start and start eating nutrient dense foods as listed above.

My nutritionist told me to stick at a 35g of carbs per day due to it can help some sort of infection (I forget what it was tbh) and then she said (a few days ago) I don't have to worry about carbs, but i found out I broke out a bit, although it could be from purging, as she said. Anyway, I'm 18 and weigh about 55kg (121pounds) and if it matters, my height is 5'9. Whats a recommended amount I should take?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/17/2013 5:19 am

My nutritionist told me to stick at a 35g of carbs per day due to it can help some sort of infection (I forget what it was tbh) and then she said (a few days ago) I don't have to worry about carbs, but i found out I broke out a bit, although it could be from purging, as she said. Anyway, I'm 18 and weigh about 55kg (121pounds) and if it matters, my height is 5'9. Whats a recommended amount I should take?

If you can find out what that infection is that would be great. If she is cutting your carbs that much then she should be compensating with increased fat intake.

I am 5'9 to and weigh 160lbs i would say you're little under weight for size. Okay i workout and have a lot of lean muscle mass but even if i didn't i would be around the 140 to 150lbs mark.

If you are keeping carbs for medical reasons that is fine but increase essential fats are needed.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/17/2013 9:14 am

A dermatologist that truly understands the importance of nutrition and how it affects acne. Good luck finding one. Probably more rare than a good nutritionist. It's interesting that she says you have leaky gut syndrome. If you d o, you should really avoid all seeds for a while. They are difficult to digest and contain a lot of anti nutrients many of which damage your gut. Corn contains some anti nutrients that o the same kind of damage as gluten.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/17/2013 4:17 pm

If you can find out what that infection is that would be great. If she is cutting your carbs that much then she should be compensating with increased fat intake.

I am 5'9 to and weigh 160lbs i would say you're little under weight for size. Okay i workout and have a lot of lean muscle mass but even if i didn't i would be around the 140 to 150lbs mark.

If you are keeping carbs for medical reasons that is fine but increase essential fats are needed.

I'm pretty sure it was to do with the insulin levels and what not. And she may have mentioned candida. I don't and can't have gluten anymore though, due to I know I am intolerant to it.