Notifications
Clear all

Acne At Work

MemberMember
(@asufra)

Posted : 01/12/2013 6:22 am

Hi All

I am now into my mid 30's and still suffer from acne, and have acne scars. I work in the city in London and have always been really career motivated. I generally have confidence issues because my acne, but now that I am at a certain level it is becoming difficult to hide these. I have to admit I struggle when it comes to speaking in large groups and at meetings. Over the last few years I have started to become concerned that because of my acne I will not be able to progress to the level I want to. I look around at the senior managers at work and they are all really confident and I have never come across anyone in that kind of position with skin problems.

Anyone else have any advice on dealing with the nightmare of acne and still fulfilling their aspirations to have a good career.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/12/2013 8:28 am

I have got clear by drinking vegetable juice, kefir, low GI diet and doing yoga. So look around how people have got clear from acne. Its not impossible. As for the scars I would suggest to look into recell as you are in london.

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 01/17/2013 12:59 pm

Hi, I can relate! I hate that I have to spend over an hour putting make up on in the morning just so I can look anyone in the eye... But I am very glad I'm female and have that option... Have you ever had cognitive behavioural therapy? I had it for depression but it helps with anxiety and confidence and lots of other things. I was sceptical (but desperate!) and it helped me hugely. I'd highly recommend the book 'manage your mind' by Tony Hope and someone else. It has chapters on lots of different problems - like anxiety and uses the principles of cbt to come up with coping strategies. I've had the pleasure of meeting Tony Hope who is a professor of psychiatry at Oxford because he did lectures and small group teaching with us. He is a very nice guy and I have alot of respect for anything he has to say!

MemberMember
(@finallysignedup)

Posted : 01/17/2013 7:41 pm

I also work in the City and yes, it really sucks. You naturally interface will a lot of people. Meetings are the worst, especially because the entire room is starring at you whilst you talk. Ironically your job is probably a key contributor to your acne (at least it is for me). Long hours, little sleep and often highly pressured. Mentally, you can handle this lifestyle but your body will react to the stress with acne. The less confident you are and the more you avoid dialogue naturally impacts your career progression in this environment. I have noticed others with acne though - although it's very rare.

So far, I've found that good sleep and doing yoga (yes, yoga) really helps - you should download 'Yoga for dummys' - it's very good.

Do this regularly and you're see some improvement - it's not going to clear you up over night but a good additional angle to attack your acne with.

MemberMember
(@asufra)

Posted : 01/20/2013 5:15 am

Thank you all for your helpful advice, it is much appreciated.