The Regimen For Dar...

Notifications
Clear all

The Regimen For Dark Skin

MemberMember
(@sel19abcaramel)

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:44 am

Iam thinking about going back to using BP again. I used it for maybe 2 years in all the strengths but I found that although it controlled my acne it increased my hyperpigmentation because I have medium brown skin complexion..

I dont know if its because I used bp the wrong way and went from 2% to 5% to 10% which dried my skin out like crazy and caused irritation and resulted in hyperpigmentation.

Therefore I stopped using it and I have been using Retin-a ever since for about 1 year. Retin-a controls my acne and lightens my marks but I want to try this regimen and give BP one last try.!

But I want to know if its helped those especially with darker skin?

MemberMember
(@user101)

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:55 am

BP will make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, even though, everybody says to use SPF30+, i have tried that, BP or most acne solutions would still make the skin darker. that also includes scar treatments like chemical peels etc. so the only thing that worked for me is applying lemon on my face in the morning for like 15 mins, then i wash it off and take shower, and leave for work. lemon will also make your skin sensitive to sunlight and it takes about 2 weeks to start seeing results, but atleast i know it works....i stopped doing that for time being because i am on accutane now, and my derm told me to wait until the treatment is over before i try any home/OTC remedies.

MemberMember
(@sel19abcaramel)

Posted : 01/09/2013 9:53 am

I tried the lemon method on my skin for a week and my skin didnt like it....it played havoc on my skin! Im not sure if it was how I did it...........

but I would use the juice of the lemon onto cotton wool and wipe it over the effected areas at night. I did it for a week and my acne became very cycstic!!! I

You mentioned accutane.....I keep thinking and thinking about going on it.

My doctor said my acne is not that bad it has to be severe cyctsic acne.

But my acne is moderate and I use retin-a to control my acne but as soon as I stop using retin-a my acne gets inflamed :/ Im just put off by the possible side effects of accutane which may or may not happen.Theres all kind of side effects and the birth defect issue worrys me. I know you cant take it while pregnant which would cause a birth defect but Ive seen posts on other forums on accutane saying 5 years after acctuane and having children there children was born with a missing finger etc......but .apart from that..hair loss.would worry me because even when I used retin-a first time round my hair thinned out and retin-a is like a topical weaker version of accutane sooo I cant even imagine what would happen if I went on a low dose of accutane ... going bald :/

thankyou for replying back smile.png

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:19 pm

We have some success story videos of people with darker skin tones. Check some of them out. http://www.acne.org/success.php

Also, Dan has some info here: http://www.acne.org/ethnic-skin-and-acne.html

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@realme2008)

Posted : 01/12/2013 4:31 pm

Iam thinking about going back to using BP again. I used it for maybe 2 years in all the strengths but I found that although it controlled my acne it increased my hyperpigmentation because I have medium brown skin complexion..

I dont know if its because I used bp the wrong way and went from 2% to 5% to 10% which dried my skin out like crazy and caused irritation and resulted in hyperpigmentation.

Therefore I stopped using it and I have been using Retin-a ever since for about 1 year. Retin-a controls my acne and lightens my marks but I want to try this regimen and give BP one last try.!

But I want to know if its helped those especially with darker skin?

Yeah, the higher the BP concentration the more irritation you can get. That's why Dan recommends using the 2.5% treatment, because it causes the least amount of drying and irritation when compared to a 5% or 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. Personally I switched to a 5% Benzoyl Peroxide wash treatment and noticed increased dryness and irritation right away so I went for a moisturizer with SPF 30. I'm still seeing wonderful results.

MemberMember
(@br93)

Posted : 01/14/2013 3:26 pm

I also have darker skin and I use Dans 2.5% BP, but only at night. I have had nice results and Hyper pigmentation hasn't really been a problem. I don't really pick my skin just let the BP do the work and Its been almost three months so far. I guess it may be different if you use BP in the morning as well as the night. But here is my results so far: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/324878-before-and-after-bp-only-nightly/