Notifications
Clear all

Spirulina Breakout

MemberMember
(@dantemaxx)

Posted : 01/09/2013 1:47 am

Hey all! I just started taking Earthrise Spirulina tablets (just 1 a day, 500 mg) and my face has broken out like crazy. I've gotten like 6 medium-ish sized pimples all around my mouth. I heard so many good things about spirulina and only managed to google a couple threads where someone else had a similar issue. Is this my body detoxing? If so, how long does this usually last? I'm wondering how long I should stay on the spirulina for this to go away. Thanks for your time, appreciate any help!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/09/2013 2:35 am

Spirulina is high in iodine which could be the reason for your breakout. Try barley grass or wheat grass mixed with carrot/vegetable juice and see if that helps.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:03 pm

Spirulina isn't high in iodine (it's most likely not even listed in the ingredient declaration), you'd need something like 50-60 500 mg tabs to even reach the rda for iodine. I can't imagine that 500 mg of spirulina a day causes anything, tbh. Nor that it would have any benefits, the dose is much too low. Are you 100% sure it's the spirulina and not something else?

MemberMember
(@dantemaxx)

Posted : 01/09/2013 1:34 pm

Hey AKL - I'm at least 90% sure it is the spirulina, since I have not eaten or done anything new really since I started taking it on Saturday. Such a sudden breakout on this level for me is very rare

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 01/09/2013 1:53 pm

Weird... Could still be a coincidence, though. Only one way to find out: stop using it for a while and then reintroduce it again. If it happens again, then there's probably something in your tablets that causes the reaction (fillers?). Do you get a mild headache or unpleasant feeling after taking it?

MemberMember
(@dantemaxx)

Posted : 01/09/2013 2:03 pm

Oh okay gotcha, and no, I feel perfectly fine actually, maybe even better than fine haha. I think I have a bit more energy and I got the bowel movement symptoms with it.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/09/2013 4:57 pm

I tried spirulina a little while back and broke out like crazy, was when I was pretty much clear too and just took it because it was on sale and it has so many other health benefits, broke out around my mouth and jaw within two days and it went on for a week and then I ditched the spirulina and everything calmed right back down.

Gotta be somethin in there that messes with hormones.

MemberMember
(@dantemaxx)

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:10 pm

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that Thehoper! I think I'll continue to take it for another few days and see if it was just my body going through a detoxification stage or not.

MemberMember
(@meena89)

Posted : 08/04/2013 8:34 am

I too broke out terribly immediately after experimenting with spirulina! I started out with 1 teaspoonful of good quality spirulina powder per day mixed into a smoothie and had it for a week. The breakout appeared on my face after one day and it was horrible, something between a rash (very itchy) and a breakout, all over my jaw, forehead and around my mouth.

At first I wasn't sure if it was caused by the spirulina (though it was the only change i had made to my diet/lifestyle and I rarely get these types of rashes/breakouts..) but then my mom tried it and immediately got the exact same kind of breakout. Perhaps we are allergic or just sensitive to it, or maybe it's a natural cleansing reaction of the skin... I don't know but I'm not going to have it anymore. I have heard it has helped others with acne though, but please be careful, it's heavy stuff! Always start out with a small dose.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/04/2013 10:54 am

I too broke out terribly immediately after experimenting with spirulina! I started out with 1 teaspoonful of good quality spirulina powder per day mixed into a smoothie and had it for a week. The breakout appeared on my face after one day and it was horrible, something between a rash (very itchy) and a breakout, all over my jaw, forehead and around my mouth.

At first I wasn't sure if it was caused by the spirulina (though it was the only change i had made to my diet/lifestyle and I rarely get these types of rashes/breakouts..) but then my mom tried it and immediately got the exact same kind of breakout. Perhaps we are allergic or just sensitive to it, or maybe it's a natural cleansing reaction of the skin... I don't know but I'm not going to have it anymore. I have heard it has helped others with acne though, but please be careful, it's heavy stuff! Always start out with a small dose.

Iodine is the culprit. Try wheatgrass with vegetable juice and home made dairy kefir. But again everything holistic is like a band aid.

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 08/05/2013 1:30 am

I have been taking Spirulina for 4 months now and it actually has improved my acne.. I only get a random pimple when I'm stressed out.. I heard from others that spirulina has helped.. but it's odd that it's breaking you out.. maybe there's some kind of explanation, but the brand I take is the Nutrex Pure Hawaiian Spirulina. It comes from the Big island of Hawaii. The Big island is known for really caring about the food they grow and are strongly against GMO. It's the only spirulina brand I would personally trust taking.

MemberMember
(@meena89)

Posted : 08/05/2013 11:58 am

yes, apparently it has to do with the high levels of iodine in seaweed, did some research and I'm pretty sure my breakout is bromide acne. Maybe at some point I will try to reintroduce spirulina into my diet in extremely small doses and see how my skin copes...but for now I don't think I'll be touching it.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/05/2013 11:59 pm

If you can get spirulina powder, that might work better and at a lower dosage. The juice I drink has it, mixed with wheatgrass and a bunch of other greens. Also, the multivitamin I used to take had spirulina powder in it but not in a huge amount. I think 500mg might be too much for you. Have you tried chlorella?

MemberMember
(@beachchick407)

Posted : 04/24/2020 1:03 pm

I have been recently (5 days) adding 1 T of spirulina with moringa essential livingpowder to my smoothie every morning. After my 4th day I noticed 3 very large under the skin pimples on my right cheek. My skin has been pretty much completely clear for 2+ years, even when my acne was at its worse I didnt havedeep under the skin pimples like this. Its hard to find anything online that isnt singing the praises of spurilina (Which is why Im sharing my experience) butthe only thing I can contribute it to is introducing this into my diet. Not sure if its an over abundance ofiodine or maybe Im allergic, either way Im going to remove it from my diet until this clears up. I may try adding it again in the future in smaller doses.