Notifications
Clear all

Low-Dose Doxycycline Regimine

MemberMember
(@penguin88)

Posted : 01/08/2013 9:47 pm

Hello, today I started a low-dose doxy regimine for body acne. I am on 20 mg 2x/day, and I think my doctor plans on trying this as a long-term treatment if it is effective. What I am wondering about is that I have read a lot of posts by people on 100 - 200 mg of doxy per day, and I am only prescribed 40 mg. However I have also read references to studies that apparently showed that 40mg/day is effective and that it may even be preferable for long-term treatment (something about the lower dose not causing antibiotic resistance). I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this information and if so what is your opinions on it, also I am wondering if anyone here has experience with such a low dose. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:08 pm

Hello, today I started a low-dose doxy regimine for body acne. I am on 20 mg 2x/day, and I think my doctor plans on trying this as a long-term treatment if it is effective. What I am wondering about is that I have read a lot of posts by people on 100 - 200 mg of doxy per day, and I am only prescribed 40 mg. However I have also read references to studies that apparently showed that 40mg/day is effective and that it may even be preferable for long-term treatment (something about the lower dose not causing antibiotic resistance). I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this information and if so what is your opinions on it, also I am wondering if anyone here has experience with such a low dose. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

40mg is only available under the brand-name Oracea. (You can get 50mg of doxy, but 40mg is patented). Oracea is typically prescribed for rosacea.

MemberMember
(@penguin88)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:45 pm

I get 20 mg qty 60 of generic doxycycline hyclate... I asked my doctor about the low dose and she double-checked with some prescription manual and said the lowest dose for acne is 40 mg/day, and she wants me on a low dose since it will be a long-term treatment.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:51 pm

i was on 50mg of doxy a day for about 6 months (the plan was to keep me on it for a long time) and it worked pretty well for me and then i got contact dermatitis and was upped to 200mg and it worked for a bit and then it just stopped working and i have been dealing with a cystic breakout ever since the 20th of November. i have stopped all antibiotics for now and am trying to avoid them all together but we shall see what happens down the road since i am taking spiro now. let me know how it works for you.

MemberMember
(@penguin88)

Posted : 01/11/2013 5:29 pm

Glad to hear 50mg/day helped you, I was a little skeptical about such a low dose.

MemberMember
(@pugrocker)

Posted : 01/11/2013 6:06 pm

I just started Doxy again yesterday. Im taking 200mg a day and that dose always worked great for me. Even though its only a temporary fix for me, it always keeps me clear, so Im happy with it. cool.pngbanana.gifbiggrin.png