Microdermabrasion R...

Notifications
Clear all

Microdermabrasion Recommendation Uk

MemberMember
(@hanwombat)

Posted : 01/08/2013 2:30 pm

Hello,

Please could anyone recommend me a good microdermabrasion to use about once a month to get rid of any dead skin cells.

I am from the UK.

MemberMember
(@rumplesilkskin)

Posted : 01/12/2013 2:13 pm

I sincerely would not recommend microdermabrasion to anyone with an ongoing acne, its just to much friction on the skin!

However if u crush up a few asprin and put it on like a mask and remove it gently it works a treat at removing any dead skin cells.

And its cheap as chips!!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 01/14/2013 3:25 pm

I have to disagree. I had chronic resistant cystic acne that would not budge unless I was on accutane or full strength antibiotics. This went on for decades! Finally last year I saw the top derm in our area and he totally changed my treatment regime. As you can see from the treatment outlined below, one of the key elements has been monthly microdermabrasions. He strongly endorsed having them done. Why? Because he says chronic acne skin is not functioning correctly...it is not shedding properly. The pores need to be open eneough to get rid of excess sebum and to let in medications. Also having unclogged pores makes it so acne bacteria can't survive as well.

The only way to treat skin that clogs up like this is with effective topicals (BP and/or retinoids) and also manual methods that take off dead skin. Microdermabrasion does this very well without hurting underlying skin. When done properly by a licensed clinic it is totally safe and can be done forever. Plus it helps with wrinkles (yeah!).

When I first started it a year ago I had active acne. Yes, it did inflame my existing acne but then the topicals, especially Cleocin-T, got in better and the inflammation subsided rather quickly. Also after starting monthly microdermabrasions I have not had even one deep lesion...not one. The only thing I have had is a handful of tiny pimples that never got infected but went away in a day or so. Nothing basically.

The thing I would not do is get microdermabrasions at a spa. Why? Because spa staff is often not well trained or licensed...despite what they say. And the machines aren't as good. Go to a proper laser clinic or to a well established licensed esthetician. I go to my derm's office for this procedure.

Oh I also have to say that microdermabrasion doesn't just take off dead skin, it also suctions out the pores. It is much deeper cleaning than can occur with any loufah or OTC exfoliant. The pores are cleaned deep down.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/14/2013 8:24 pm

cvd- how much do you pay for your microdermabrasion?