Is Being Clear Ever...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Being Clear Everything You Expected?

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 01/08/2013 3:16 am

Hey guys,

So I've been on the Regimen since July 2012 and been "clear" since October. This would be my third month without pimples and when I started the regimen I assumed that by this point I would be super happy with my skin- unfortunately this isn't the case. My marks aren't fading (even after doing a peels and constant use of AHA), my skintone is uneven and gross, I am constantly red and I get these random red blotches for no apparent reason (I suspect my skin has somehow thinned out in these places). As far as the bumps are concerned, I'm indescribably happy that they're gone (thank you Dan!). But its just getting me down that after all this effort I still feel the need to apply layers of makeup every morning...ugh is anyone else feeling like this? Are you not quite satisfied with being clear? I just think I expected so much more from clearing up my acne that now I'm just dissapointed. saywhat.gif

MemberMember
(@onlyskindeep)

Posted : 01/08/2013 5:07 am

I have been clear for a few years now do to changes I made in my diet. While I am absolutely grateful and happy I was able to achieve being clear I also came to the conclusion I unfortunately have the type of skin that will always need some make up, uneven skin tone, uneven texture, pores etc... no more active acne though.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 01/08/2013 6:13 am

i've been FAIRLY clear for quite a while now, i still get some small pimples but nowhere near as bad as i used to get them. they also seem to scar/hyperpigment less easily now. i would say it's everything i expected and a lot more. even though my skin still isn't perfect, i feel a lot more confident now. :)

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 01/08/2013 9:26 am

I think you're being WAYYYYYY too harsh on yourself... First, more than likely the marks you see are just superficial and WILL FADE!! It takes about six months of consistent clearing to see hyper-pigmentation disappear. Second, the dull complexion and uneven skin tone will regulate itself as your skin continues to heal itself.. Remember, acne causing a great deal of trauma to the face and though you are clear, it doesn't mean your skin isn't still healing itself... Continue using AHA and sticking to DKR and you'll be surprised at how much better your skin gets with each passing day... I've been on DKR for a year and it was the BEST decision I've ever made for myself besides quitting cigarettes... It took about six months to see tangible results and another six months to correct my skin tone to what it is now... Keep the faith and stop being so hard on yourself... :)

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:01 am

I think you're being WAYYYYYY too harsh on yourself... First, more than likely the marks you see are just superficial and WILL FADE!! It takes about six months of consistent clearing to see hyper-pigmentation disappear. Second, the dull complexion and uneven skin tone will regulate itself as your skin continues to heal itself.. Remember, acne causing a great deal of trauma to the face and though you are clear, it doesn't mean your skin isn't still healing itself... Continue using AHA and sticking to DKR and you'll be surprised at how much better your skin gets with each passing day... I've been on DKR for a year and it was the BEST decision I've ever made for myself besides quitting cigarettes... It took about six months to see tangible results and another six months to correct my skin tone to what it is now... Keep the faith and stop being so hard on yourself... smile.png

Yeah I mean as far as being my own worst critic...I really am. I think I just had these surreal expectations that once I was clear that was it, so now I'm just dealing with reality. But you're right, my skin's healing and the worst is over. Thanks for straightening me out :)

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:23 am

I think you're being WAYYYYYY too harsh on yourself... First, more than likely the marks you see are just superficial and WILL FADE!! It takes about six months of consistent clearing to see hyper-pigmentation disappear. Second, the dull complexion and uneven skin tone will regulate itself as your skin continues to heal itself.. Remember, acne causing a great deal of trauma to the face and though you are clear, it doesn't mean your skin isn't still healing itself... Continue using AHA and sticking to DKR and you'll be surprised at how much better your skin gets with each passing day... I've been on DKR for a year and it was the BEST decision I've ever made for myself besides quitting cigarettes... It took about six months to see tangible results and another six months to correct my skin tone to what it is now... Keep the faith and stop being so hard on yourself... smile.png

Yeah I mean as far as being my own worst critic...I really am. I think I just had these surreal expectations that once I was clear that was it, so now I'm just dealing with reality. But you're right, my skin's healing and the worst is over. Thanks for straightening me out smile.png

Anytime luv.... :) Believe me, I went through the same stage, it'll pass... :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/08/2013 3:52 pm

Excellent topic.

I have been strictly following The Regimen since April 1st 2012. I feel that it worked abnormally quickly for me, because I have been clear since my first month. The sense of relief I feel when I catch my reflection and I don't feel ashamed or embarrassed because of live acne... it's intense. I can't begin to describe the magnitude to which my self-esteem has improved.

So you think we'd all be satisfied. On the contrary, I feel that many Regimen alumni swing wildly between holy relief and lingering consciousness. One moment I want to yell, "Do you know? Can I give you the magic that saved me?" and the next I want it hidden away, that somehow it would never have happened. No imperfection escapes the notice of the twice-daily mirror-fest that is The Regimen.

And to the uninitiated, perhaps it seems, simply, that it is a heightened attention to detail that causes my dissatisfaction. But to my eyes or yours, the red marks are still there. I'm nine months in, and I feel like they will always be there. I don't understand why greasiness, flakiness, and redness still bother me sometimes. There are people that claim accelerated skin aging as a side effect of The Regimen, and I usually discourage that claim. But; were those lines there before? It's hard to tell. It doesn't bother me now, but will it continue to develop so quickly? My hair, too... it is being bleached by this stuff, with certainty. It looks dry, blonde, and cracked around my face. That wasn't listed as a side-effect of the The Regimen.

But, then: there is no page listing the side effects of the regimen. I feel, though, that many of the unintended results of my dedication to benzoyl peroxide are as serious as some of the side effects of isotretinoin. Dry lips and skin? Increased susceptibility to sunburn? Severe vision problems? Hair abnormalities? It's true The Regimen does not risk some of the more extreme, rare side effects of Accutane such as erectile dysfunction and birth defects. For that I am thankful. But the crippling cost in time, finance, and convenience takes a toll all its own. Before it is a treatment, a solution, or even a chemical, the Regimen is a habit. I just find it strange that the side effects of something as powerful as a habit are offered less validity than the side effects of a pill.

And of course there's the social side effects, the very reason I wanted to be clear in the first place. To be sure, it's not nearly as bad as the acne itself, but the repercussions are still there. I can never stay at a friend's, or go anywhere without my 16oz ball and chain. I went camping with some friends last summer, and was oh so pleased to have a couple pretty girls ask what it was I was putting so much of on my face.

The worst thing is the thought that my precious benzoyl peroxide is to blame for all this. The very thing that is the source of my relief is causing me pain in other ways, like my saviour is taking his pound of flesh. To any other group of people, it would sound too austere to say that I fear my cure has become my condition.

But I think there are those who feel similarly...

It's true that the Pied Piper did get rid of the rats.

And it's true that The Regimen did clear my skin.

MemberMember
(@flyboy)

Posted : 01/10/2013 3:30 am

Luminareo hit the nail on the head. I am thankful that The Regimen has given me relatively clear skin, but I feel like it has become a huge part of my life with problems and complications all its own. I don't always feel as happy as I thought I would be with clear skin.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/10/2013 4:55 am

I'm clear with BP so I'm guessing I can comment on this topic.

In some ways it feels exactly like I thought it would. I can run my hands over my face (clean hands of course) and feel - for the most part - smoothness. My face doesn't hurt when it touches my pillow, my boyfriend isn't worried about kissing me on the cheek and hurting me. I can go out of the house with no makeup on and not feel like people are judging my hygeine (really, that assumption bothered me the most).

But in other ways it doesn't. I thought it would be this huge confidence boost but really, I got to the 'forget it, I don't care anymore' stage long before the acne was gone. I'm glad to be clear but I do worry about it coming back, more so now than ever because I fear now that my partner has seen me with clear skin it'd somehow be a step down for him to see me with acne again. That's not to say that I'd feel like any less of a person, because quite frankly something like acne can't change who I am or my good qualities. I'm just a worrier by nature - even when there's nothing to worry about sometimes.

Then of course there's the physical aspect of it all. I don't care that I need something to have clear skin as long as it works. But for two weeks my face was in a much worse condition than it would have been with just acne. Every night I apply the cream and it doesn't burn or make me red anymore but it does give me dry skin sometimes in a morning, and nobody can touch my face until it's dry. I sleep with my hair out behind me and I worry sometimes that it'll rub off onto my partner while we're sleeping and burn him.

It's a similair thing with my teeth really - I used to have braces, now I have retainers instead. It just doesn't make you feel attractive putting plastic coatings over your teeth with your hair pulled on top of your head whilst the acne medication on your face dries. But very crooked teeth and acne bothered me far more. At least I can flash a straight smile whilst I wait around with my stupid hair do, or reflect on the money I'm saving in foundation and concealer now that I don't have the massive self esteem crashes.

I do still have some marks and one little indent scar on its own. I feel oddly about them - I expected them to be there and I'm grateful that they don't hurt like acne, but on the other hand I can't help but feel a little sad that they have to be there. Looking back on pictures of myself as a young teen you'd have never thought I had a single skin problem in my life. And of course BP brings its own side effects - some blonde hairs right at the hair line which I now have to dye to keep them black, having to wear sunscreen every day, prolonged red marks, a whole natural antioxidant regimen to try and counteract some of the side effects. The most surprising thing has been the eyebags - I put some cream on under my eyebag area and it's created like a second eyebag. It's difficult to describe but it doesn't seem to be going away even though I avoid that area now. It's not painfully obvious but I wish I would have been better at applying this stuff on my first go.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:14 am

Hey guys,

So I've been on the Regimen since July 2012 and been "clear" since October. This would be my third month without pimples and when I started the regimen I assumed that by this point I would be super happy with my skin- unfortunately this isn't the case. My marks aren't fading (even after doing a peels and constant use of AHA), my skintone is uneven and gross, I am constantly red and I get these random red blotches for no apparent reason (I suspect my skin has somehow thinned out in these places). As far as the bumps are concerned, I'm indescribably happy that they're gone (thank you Dan!). But its just getting me down that after all this effort I still feel the need to apply layers of makeup every morning...ugh is anyone else feeling like this? Are you not quite satisfied with being clear? I just think I expected so much more from clearing up my acne that now I'm just dissapointed. saywhat.gif

Sadly the mental effects are somewhat withstanding after getting clear.

I have said too many times on here to many many people. Getting clear isn't the end of it. Most people have had acne for so long they forget how to be any other way and have been comfortable with being down all the time.

Changes, even small ones in your life can make a huge difference. Try to set goals, find hobbies, better more positive people to be around and go from there :0

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 01/10/2013 10:46 am

Second TakeToTheSkies... I believe the psychological effects of acne last long after being clear... Now it's time to focus on healing from a psychological perspective.. Do something positive with your time, take up a new hobby, try something you never thought you would.. Basically, START LIVING YOUR LIFE AGAIN!!! :)

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:37 pm

Excellent topic.

I have been strictly following The Regimen since April 1st 2012. I feel that it worked abnormally quickly for me, because I have been clear since my first month. The sense of relief I feel when I catch my reflection and I don't feel ashamed or embarrassed because of live acne... it's intense. I can't begin to describe the magnitude to which my self-esteem has improved.

So you think we'd all be satisfied. On the contrary, I feel that many Regimen alumni swing wildly between holy relief and lingering consciousness. One moment I want to yell, "Do you know? Can I give you the magic that saved me?" and the next I want it hidden away, that somehow it would never have happened. No imperfection escapes the notice of the twice-daily mirror-fest that is The Regimen.

And to the uninitiated, perhaps it seems, simply, that it is a heightened attention to detail that causes my dissatisfaction. But to my eyes or yours, the red marks are still there. I'm nine months in, and I feel like they will always be there. I don't understand why greasiness, flakiness, and redness still bother me sometimes. There are people that claim accelerated skin aging as a side effect of The Regimen, and I usually discourage that claim. But; were those lines there before? It's hard to tell. It doesn't bother me now, but will it continue to develop so quickly? My hair, too... it is being bleached by this stuff, with certainty. It looks dry, blonde, and cracked around my face. That wasn't listed as a side-effect of the The Regimen.

But, then: there is no page listing the side effects of the regimen. I feel, though, that many of the unintended results of my dedication to benzoyl peroxide are as serious as some of the side effects of isotretinoin. Dry lips and skin? Increased susceptibility to sunburn? Severe vision problems? Hair abnormalities? It's true The Regimen does not risk some of the more extreme, rare side effects of Accutane such as erectile dysfunction and birth defects. For that I am thankful. But the crippling cost in time, finance, and convenience takes a toll all its own. Before it is a treatment, a solution, or even a chemical, the Regimen is a habit. I just find it strange that the side effects of something as powerful as a habit are offered less validity than the side effects of a pill.

And of course there's the social side effects, the very reason I wanted to be clear in the first place. To be sure, it's not nearly as bad as the acne itself, but the repercussions are still there. I can never stay at a friend's, or go anywhere without my 16oz ball and chain. I went camping with some friends last summer, and was oh so pleased to have a couple pretty girls ask what it was I was putting so much of on my face.

The worst thing is the thought that my precious benzoyl peroxide is to blame for all this. The very thing that is the source of my relief is causing me pain in other ways, like my saviour is taking his pound of flesh. To any other group of people, it would sound too austere to say that I fear my cure has become my condition.

But I think there are those who feel similarly...

It's true that the Pied Piper did get rid of the rats.

And it's true that The Regimen did clear my skin.

Who knew a paragraph on acne could be so poetic?! You have a way with words my friend! But yeah I can totally relate to what you're saying; the very thing that saved me is also now the thing I most resent. Whereas before I couldn't look people in the eye because of my acne, I now can't look people in the eye as I spread two layers of peroxide on my face. Everything I do revolves around this regimen and what bothers me the most is that I don't have great skin to compensate for all the downfalls of the regimen. As you said there are many side effects which I could probably get past if everytime I looked in the mirror I gasped in awe at the clarity of my skin. However this isn't the case, and I'm constantly drawn to the redness, greasyness (thank God I'm not alone with that! I had no idea why I was constantly shiny!), dryness and so on...but I guess all that's left for me to do at this point is just wait it out and hope my skin heals! Also your point about a habit being as damaging as a pill was very interesting. I'd never though of it that way but the Regimen is somehow deemed harmless because it's not a cure per say. Anyway, thanks for your input! :)

Luminareo hit the nail on the head. I am thankful that The Regimen has given me relatively clear skin, but I feel like it has become a huge part of my life with problems and complications all its own. I don't always feel as happy as I thought I would be with clear skin.

Yeah exactly, The Regimen didn't eliminate the problems with acne so much as it replaced them with problems of its own...however it did get rid of the acne so for that I am really grateful too :)

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:47 pm

All I know is people are never happy with their skin

I have 3 zits right now and I feel like I have severe acne and everyone tells me you nearly have anything ( I have very light acne one pimple per week 2 at most ).

Last 2 weeks I was really clear not a single pimple and all the sudden I started noticing my dark circles , how my hair felt dry n dead, thinking my nose was bending the wrong way, just little stuff the should not matter at all. Just my 3 cents

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:51 pm

I'm clear with BP so I'm guessing I can comment on this topic.

In some ways it feels exactly like I thought it would. I can run my hands over my face (clean hands of course) and feel - for the most part - smoothness. My face doesn't hurt when it touches my pillow, my boyfriend isn't worried about kissing me on the cheek and hurting me. I can go out of the house with no makeup on and not feel like people are judging my hygeine (really, that assumption bothered me the most).

But in other ways it doesn't. I thought it would be this huge confidence boost but really, I got to the 'forget it, I don't care anymore' stage long before the acne was gone. I'm glad to be clear but I do worry about it coming back, more so now than ever because I fear now that my partner has seen me with clear skin it'd somehow be a step down for him to see me with acne again. That's not to say that I'd feel like any less of a person, because quite frankly something like acne can't change who I am or my good qualities. I'm just a worrier by nature - even when there's nothing to worry about sometimes.

Then of course there's the physical aspect of it all. I don't care that I need something to have clear skin as long as it works. But for two weeks my face was in a much worse condition than it would have been with just acne. Every night I apply the cream and it doesn't burn or make me red anymore but it does give me dry skin sometimes in a morning, and nobody can touch my face until it's dry. I sleep with my hair out behind me and I worry sometimes that it'll rub off onto my partner while we're sleeping and burn him.

It's a similair thing with my teeth really - I used to have braces, now I have retainers instead. It just doesn't make you feel attractive putting plastic coatings over your teeth with your hair pulled on top of your head whilst the acne medication on your face dries. But very crooked teeth and acne bothered me far more. At least I can flash a straight smile whilst I wait around with my stupid hair do, or reflect on the money I'm saving in foundation and concealer now that I don't have the massive self esteem crashes.

I do still have some marks and one little indent scar on its own. I feel oddly about them - I expected them to be there and I'm grateful that they don't hurt like acne, but on the other hand I can't help but feel a little sad that they have to be there. Looking back on pictures of myself as a young teen you'd have never thought I had a single skin problem in my life. And of course BP brings its own side effects - some blonde hairs right at the hair line which I now have to dye to keep them black, having to wear sunscreen every day, prolonged red marks, a whole natural antioxidant regimen to try and counteract some of the side effects. The most surprising thing has been the eyebags - I put some cream on under my eyebag area and it's created like a second eyebag. It's difficult to describe but it doesn't seem to be going away even though I avoid that area now. It's not painfully obvious but I wish I would have been better at applying this stuff on my first go.

I like the comparison to the retainers, that's a really good point. And I think many people would agree that at the end of the day having straight teeth (or clear skin) is a better alternative to crooked munchers or a face full of zits. The marks bother me too however and I also frequently dye my hair after two or three people pointed out that the hair around my face was a stark blonde in contrast to my black hair! I see what you mean though about adopting an "I don't care anymore" mentality, especially now that people no longer tell you that you just need to "wash your face or eat more fruits" to get clear because you know you were right and cleared yourself alone- I guess the worst is over. I think it's just hard because as you said, you can now run your face over a smooth face and not be hurt by touching yourself...on the other hand you still have to live with the fact that if you went on vacation for a few weeks and forgot your BP you'd probably return home with an enormous breakout...anways thanks for your input smile.png

Hey guys,

Sadly the mental effects are somewhat withstanding after getting clear.

I have said too many times on here to many many people. Getting clear isn't the end of it. Most people have had acne for so long they forget how to be any other way and have been comfortable with being down all the time.

Changes, even small ones in your life can make a huge difference. Try to set goals, find hobbies, better more positive people to be around and go from there :0

Yeah you're so right: acne's been an issue for almost half my life. It's difficult to put behind you something that's ruled your every day for so long, but as you said little changes make a huge difference. I'll guess I should go out and find some distractions! smile.png

All I know is people are never happy with their skin

I have 3 zits right now and I feel like I have severe acne and everyone tells me you nearly have anything ( I have very light acne one pimple per week 2 at most ).

Last 2 weeks I was really clear not a single pimple and all the sudden I started noticing my dark circles , how my hair felt dry n dead, thinking my nose was bending the wrong way, just little stuff the should not matter at all. Just my 3 cents

Hmmm yeah we're our own worst critics right? I guess we're always going to analyse ourselves more than anyone else ever will. I'm not sure if anything or anyone is to blame or if it's just in our nature to want to be the best version of ourselves...oh well, thanks for your cents! Good to know you're not alone in feeling down about yourself smile.png

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:18 pm

People tend to think that when their acne is clear they will be left with flawless baby butt skin, and it just doesn't happen that way. Acne often leaves behind pigmented areas, scars, etc. We will never have the skin we had when we were 7 years old, even after the acne has gone.

Sometimes people also tend to think that acne is the root cause of all their other problems in life, such as anxiety and depression, and they think that once the acne is cleared up that those other issues will magically disappear. They often do not and it can be very hard to deal with.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/11/2013 2:24 am

I found that when I became clear, I just realised that acne wasnt the only imperfection on my skin and noticed just how severe all the broken capilaries were on my cheeks. When I had acne that was what I mostly noticed..... Like anything in life once something is sorted out, we will just find something else to dwell on.

I'm just thankful that now I'm clear of acne, I don't freak out with people seeing me without makeup anymore (broken capilaries or not).

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/11/2013 3:24 am

Acne is easy to blame because it is right there on the surface. So anything goes wrong, blame i on the acne, broken relationship, blame acne, lost my job, blame acne, feeling depressed, blame acne.

In actual fact acne is just one part of it. I found it was many many other things that were wrong and it took me years to cut out the BS and get on top of it.

MemberMember
(@maybemonday)

Posted : 01/11/2013 11:28 am

People tend to think that when their acne is clear they will be left with flawless baby butt skin, and it just doesn't happen that way. Acne often leaves behind pigmented areas, scars, etc. We will never have the skin we had when we were 7 years old, even after the acne has gone.

Sometimes people also tend to think that acne is the root cause of all their other problems in life, such as anxiety and depression, and they think that once the acne is cleared up that those other issues will magically disappear. They often do not and it can be very hard to deal with.

Acne is easy to blame because it is right there on the surface. So anything goes wrong, blame i on the acne, broken relationship, blame acne, lost my job, blame acne, feeling depressed, blame acne.

In actual fact acne is just one part of it. I found it was many many other things that were wrong and it took me years to cut out the BS and get on top of it.

Yeah you guys are so right. I think many people assume that once they get rid of their acne, all their insecurities and other problems will evaporate too. I think coming to terms with the fact that you no longer have something so obvious to blame all your problems on is the worst part of this; because rather than enjoying the clarity you start looking for other imperfections to hold accountable for whatever issues you have.