Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

I like to stay tanned year round so i'm always out in the sun alot in the summer and then i go to a tanning bed about twice a week the rest of the year and i'm wondering what i should put on my face to help protect it from really getting damaged.

I've been using Clean and Clear products and i'm getting ready to start a regimen with the Clean and Clear 2% salicylic acid along with a Clean and Clear 10% BP.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=11566

I only have mild acne but i've yet to ever be totally clear and stay that way so i'm hopeing this new regimen might get me close to that point.

I've been having a problem the last few months with red marks and a few light freckles showing up on my face. The red marks usually start to fade pretty quickly but i keep on getting these little red circular blotches from dry skin or tanning or whatever and also i've gotten a few little dark freckle like places that are real small. I'm wondering what i could put on them to clear them up and start to make them fade. Any suggestions?

So i just sorta need to know if there is a moisterizer with SPF i should put on in the morning after my regimen in order to allow me to tan but not get sun damage as much. And then also what i could use to get red of the red marks and freckles.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Posted

Hi, nothing will get red of the red marks and freckles unless you stay out of the sun. You can always use a sunless tanner instead.

Posted
Hi, nothing will get red of the red marks and freckles unless you stay out of the sun. You can always use a sunless tanner instead.

Posted

Hydroquinone is the best thing for red marks. I have no idea what would happen though if you tanned while using it.

Posted

Im sure you know that tanning is damaging to your skin, causes premature ageing  not to mention potentially fatal skin cancer. The only thing that will stop the sun damaging your skin is to stop exposing your skin to it. Not sure where you live but here in Australia we have the highest skin cancer rate in the world. Use a fake tan if you have to but stay away from those killer UV rays. Tanning beds are just as dangerous as the sun.

Posted

I used to tan a year ago, despite knowing the risks. It was foolish of me, even though I have thus far gotten out unscathed. I'd recommend you stop. It's destroying your skin, and I think that includes your collagen.

Posted

and if you use any sort of acne meds, peels your skin is going to be EXTRA senstive. Not to mention tanning can also cause acne. Your outter layer of skin thickens while your sebum glands still pump sebum. This thicking traps sebum and causes build up which can lead to acne. Most people breakout 3-4 weeks after sun exposure.

On the flip side UV rays have an anti inflammatory effect...But twice a week thats killer on the skin. Hate to see what happens when your older, no offense.

Posted
and if you use any sort of acne meds, peels your skin is going to be EXTRA senstive.  Not to mention tanning can also cause acne.  Your outter layer of skin thickens while your sebum glands still pump sebum.  This thicking traps sebum and causes build up which can lead to acne.  Most people breakout 3-4 weeks after sun exposure. 

On the flip side UV rays have an anti inflammatory effect...But twice a week thats killer on the skin.  Hate to see what happens when your older, no offense.

Posted

If you do have red marks, tanning will make them stick around much much longer, as tanning also turns your red marks darker.

Posted

that's not always true. when i am tan my skin is always really clear and my redmarks don't show up at all. i wish tanning wasn't so bad for skin...i look so much better with a tan.

Posted

I think we're wasting breath trying to convince people not to tan. But I have to chime in here so I can sleep at night. wink.gif I know you could give a rat's ass, but hear me out anyways (this coming from a chick who used to think that going to the tanning beds at least 3 days a week was just soooo fabulous and my tan was so rockin' and I didn't give a crap what happened 40 years down the line).

I realize you look better with a tan, or you think you do, and you don't grasp now that when you get to be about 50, you're going to: A) look like a prune; B) be sportin' some serious brown, nasty age spots, probably 20 years ahead of people who didn't fry their asses in the sun or the tanning bed; and C) the chances of getting skin cancer, which I GUARANTEE you you will hate a lot more than a few red marks or pale skin now, are very high, and when they have to hack off half of your nose to get the cancer out (like they did to a friend of my family--he really had HALF of his nose CUT OUT), or they have to scrape big chunks of skin off your body so the cancer doesn't spread like wildfire, you'll be thinking: "Sh*t, now I wish I hadn't spent all that time in the sun or at the tanning booth."

Believe me, I used to think that tan would make me oh-so-much-more-desirable, and it would cover up any zits I had. And it did cover up the zits. And it looked nice. But it's a pain in the @ss to maintain and it costs too much for 8 minutes in a booth.

So now I self-tan, when I feel like it. But mostly, I'm learning to appreciate my freckles, ignore any zits I get, and sport the Pale Irish Girl with red hair look. It may not be as "Hollywood" friendly as a bronzed body, but then again, I hate Hollywood and celebrities and everything they're about, so my pale @ss is rebelling. cool.gif I think it will benefit me down the line when I'm 60 years old and look like I'm 40. And I will, dammit. smile.gifwink.gif

And yes, tanning may camouflage the red marks, but it makes them stick around a LOT longer. And putting stuff on them to fade them might fade that precious tan you're frying yourself to get.

But hey, do what you want. I'm an opinionated woman, so I just had to add my 2 cents. That's the only recommendation I have.

~Kat

Posted
eusa_clap.gif