Notifications
Clear all

Acne & Super Dry Winter Skin

MemberMember
(@mevmom)

Posted : 01/07/2013 3:27 pm

I'm 30 yrs old and have stuggled with oily skin & acne my whole adult life. It's a hormonal thing (PCOS). My issue during the winter is intense flaking and dryness that no moistuzer seems able to combat. The weird and frustrating thing about my skin is it can manage to be oily, acne-prone, and a flaking mess all at the same time. I'm not on Accutane. I don't think it's sebhorreic (sp?) dermatitis (facial dandruff) because it's not like yellowish, greasy, inflammed patches or anything like that. Just flakes all over my nose and cheeks and forehead....while at the same time I can still manage to get a shine going! I mean I don't know, I guess it could be dandruff. It just doesn't seem to totally fit that. And it goes away at other times of the year. During the winter, I can't use my regular retin-a micro at all. No amount of exfoliation with a washcloth helps. Even various oils on my face can't stop the flaking. Anyone have suggestions for getting the flakes under control without breaking me out?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:48 pm

I'm 30 yrs old and have stuggled with oily skin & acne my whole adult life. It's a hormonal thing (PCOS). My issue during the winter is intense flaking and dryness that no moistuzer seems able to combat. The weird and frustrating thing about my skin is it can manage to be oily, acne-prone, and a flaking mess all at the same time. I'm not on Accutane. I don't think it's sebhorreic (sp?) dermatitis (facial dandruff) because it's not like yellowish, greasy, inflammed patches or anything like that. Just flakes all over my nose and cheeks and forehead....while at the same time I can still manage to get a shine going! I mean I don't know, I guess it could be dandruff. It just doesn't seem to totally fit that. And it goes away at other times of the year. During the winter, I can't use my regular retin-a micro at all. No amount of exfoliation with a washcloth helps. Even various oils on my face can't stop the flaking. Anyone have suggestions for getting the flakes under control without breaking me out?

Are you undergoing hormonal treatment? My skin used to be exactly like that...oily yet dandruffy at the same time. I don't want to sound like a broken record but getting your hormones in order solves all sorts of skin problems. It normalized the oil and the moisture level in my skin. It stopped the flaking. I'm in below zero weather right now, have been walking around outside, and my skin is not irritated at all. Previously I'd be an oily flaky mess in the wintertime.

I think there is a connection between hormone levels and your skin shedding rate.

Though if you're trying to exfoliate, sulfur washes helped as well as using a Clarisonic-type brush.

MemberMember
(@songbirdsing)

Posted : 01/11/2013 10:20 pm

I came on to look for this exact topic....mine is partially because I started a new sulfur spot treatment. I have used sulfur in the past but not this brand/% and my skin is already dry from the winter (though parts get oily ugh). I am not finding much luck at the moment. Even the OCM is not helping me. I am interested to know if anyone has any advice.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/12/2013 8:44 am

I experience exactly the same thing. My skin can also be oily, flaking and acne-prone at the same time. And yes, it mostly happens to me in winter (besides I'm from Sweden, where winters can be very harsh). I think your skin is in desperation to moisturize itself when it gets so dry, it makes some excess oil to keep the natural protective oil level.

Yesterday I tried using flaxseed oil and woke up in a much better condition (tried it only on my hands and eyelids, but the effect is so good that I'm ready to put some on my face).

MemberMember
(@mevmom)

Posted : 01/13/2013 4:06 pm

Well, since I wrote this I have managed to bring the flakiness down. Awhile back I stopped using soap in the mornings. I only use it as night. In the morning, I use a warm, wet cloth. That actually helped with the oiliness (I htink my face was too stripped). So lately I have dropped the washcloth in the mornings. I just rinse with warm water. And it has helped. I think maybe I was over-exfoliating. I made the same mistake last year when I tried the Clarisonic...the more flakes I removed, the more there were.

As for hromonal treatment...I haven't found anything I'm comfortable with. I feel that the pill is dangerous and haven't been on it since 2003. I don't think artificial hormone overrides are a good idea. I'm not willing to try spiro with its host of side effects. The only thing I am considering is progesterone cream. I do have some syptoms of low progesterone. Also I've noticed me worst breakout times are the few days before ovulations and again a few days before my period. I seem to clear up quite a bit at other times (though it is never perfect). I wonder which hormone is to blame?