Lotion May Not Be N...

Notifications
Clear all

Lotion May Not Be Necessary For You!

MemberMember
(@gaia76)

Posted : 01/07/2013 3:19 pm

My mild adult acne was cured by eliminating facial Lotion! I know this might not work for everyone but thought I would share my experience.

My acne was characterized by a lot of small white heads over my entire face. Also I would have premenstral flare ups of large cystic pimples primarily on my cheeks that may or may not progress to a white head. The large pimples left red marks on my cheeks long after they had healed. My Dermatologist also thought I had some rosacea as well because I had itching and flushing. My skin was never excessively oily, I would say it was combination.

I was never prescribed any of the harsher treatments like retin A because my acne is mild. Unfortunately I can't remember all the topicals I was prescribed but they generally had an antibiotic effect and came in lotion/cream and gel forms. Everything I was prescribed made my face feel so tight and uncomfortable that I asked my Dermatologist if I could take a pill instead. She prescribed Spironolactone. This cleared up my skin quite nicely, especially my back and chest acne. I stopped taking it after 6 months or so because I couldn't have an orgasm. Yup, you heard me right! My Dr confirmed Spiro could have this effect. So, after I stopped taking spiro my acne returned on my face. Fortunately it did not return on my back or chest, hip hip hooray!

Like most other acne sufferers I tried many different products and routines over the years. Due to my skin also being sensitive (itching and flushing) I gave up on fighting acne and just wanted comfort! For a few years I used a very simple and inexpensive gel cleanser and I scented non comedogenic lotion from a drug store. My acne was as bad as ever but the itching and flushing had stopped which was a relief. However, after a while I was longing for clear skin again. I went back to the Dermatologist prepared to try whatever she gave me. In the waiting room I observed a drug company rep talking to the receptionist about a new skin care line, particularly a lotion, that her company produced. This made me wonder what the Dr felt about all the non prescription products. When I asked her the Dermatologist shrugged and said use lotion if you need it. I decided to try not using lotion (remember I use a very gentle gel cleanser). After I washed my face it felt very tight for maybe half an hour and then my natural oils hydrated my face nicely. After a month of this my pimples healed. I receive compliments on my skin all the time! I have tested this out as well - i'll apply a gentle lotion and bam! without fail I have a ton of white heads the next day.

My point is that lotions ect, contrary to what is marketed to us, may not be essential for healthy skin. It was a right of passage for me when my Mom introduced me to facial care more complex than a bar of body soap. I had no acne problems as a teenager I just loved to pamper myself. As I got older I didn't buy into spending alot of money on facial care products (a supposedly miraculous $100 facial cream is made primarily of inexpensive mineral oil! What a rip off). But, it never crossed my mind that they may be causing my skin problems!

I think this solution is likely to simple for more severe forms of acne. But, my condition can't be completely unique so I'm putting the word out. Maybe this info will help someone else.

FYI I am 36.

MemberMember
(@mevmom)

Posted : 01/07/2013 3:30 pm

That sounds interesting. Right now I'm battling intense winter flakiness though. I can't imagine no lotion...although I am intrigued. I've also heard that skin that is overly dry can over-produce oil, which I do not need...so confusing.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/07/2013 3:35 pm

What lotion were you using ?

MemberMember
(@gaia76)

Posted : 01/07/2013 4:15 pm

I have used a huge variety of lotions over the years. The only thing that works for me is eliminating lotion! I have never had a lotion suggested to me that I haven't tried. Also, why use lotion if I don't need it?

I should add two things though. One, i live in the very temperate and moist Pacific Northwest so i'm not being exposed to extreme temperatures and dry air. Second, i do get some flaky skin around my nose so i apply my gel cleanser with a very soft sponge that provides some exfoliation. When I do this I have absolutely no flakiness.

MemberMember
(@naja)

Posted : 02/09/2013 2:37 pm

I totally agree!! I've just recently come to the realization that I've been putting to much stuff on my face and have simplified my routine. CeraVe foaming facial wash, buzz on acne and at night I use East African shea butter to moisturize. My face has drastically improved. I use the buzz stuff because I'm afraid to not use something but wanted something without a cream/gel base. After all these years of using products I can't seem to pull myself away completely but it's a beginning!!

MemberMember
(@monkeybeanmagic)

Posted : 02/10/2013 2:22 pm

For a few years I used a very simple and inexpensive gel cleanser and I scented non comedogenic lotion from a drug store.

it is true that the whole idea of non-comedogenic lotions is highly flawed. You can slap a non-comedogenic label on products even if the ingredients contained in fact do clog pores. Read here for a more detailed discussion of just how meaningless the term is http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/myths/_/six-meaningless-cosmetics-claims-you-shouldnt-believe