Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Month Two

MemberMember
(@emilybambi)

Posted : 01/06/2013 8:57 pm

I started accutane two months ago. The first month I was on a low dose of 20mg and the only effect I noticed was dry skin but that could also be down to the cold weather. My lips never felt dry but I constantly use vaseline even before treatment. The second month I was upped to 50mg and the doctor told me I should really start to see a difference now. I have been on 50mg for about three weeks now and have had the worse breakout I have ever had. My acne was usualy confined to my t zone and my cheeks were always clear but now there covered in acne and my forehead is breaking out. The spots seem to come out of nowhere and are painful. Its really destroying my confidence cause I dont know what to do. I stopped my usual cleansing because it had saliyic acid in it and the doctor told me just to apply a gentle moisturiser at night. Is there a reason I am breaking out more than ever before? Has anyone had a breakout in month two and if so how long did it last and did you use anything to help clear it up? I cna handle the dry skin and dry eyes but this breakout is hideous and just makes me want to stop it all together cause although it was bad before it was never this bad and painful. Any advice would be appreciated?

Thank you

MemberMember
(@sal1917)

Posted : 01/06/2013 9:01 pm

Sounds a bit like me. Except mine started in week 3/4. Cheeks have never been so bad and it just keeps getting worse! Advice Would be very much appreciated for me too! thanks :)

MemberMember
(@sound-of-hope)

Posted : 01/06/2013 10:00 pm

Initial flaring is common, both when the drug is started and when the dosage is increased. The drug works from within and purges your skin, so the bad stuff often rises to the top at once. My initial breakout occurred during weeks three and four, so it was only two weeks long. I'd ditch the salicylic wash and use a mild, non-irritating cleanser, like something by CeraVe or Cetaphil. The isotretinoin alone is more than enough to fight the acne, so the salicylic acid is unneeded and potentially irritating. I'd just ride it out because it should get better.

MemberMember
(@emilybambi)

Posted : 01/07/2013 6:12 pm

So you would say the breakout will only last two weeks?

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/07/2013 6:35 pm

I think it varies from person to person. I had an ib from around the 2nd week to maybe the middle of the third? Around two weeks as well. I noticed that when my skin started to Dry out more, the less breakouts I got

MemberMember
(@emilybambi)

Posted : 01/10/2013 11:46 pm

My breakouts lasted three weeks already and doesnt seem to be improving. I have started month three today. All i use on my skin is nivea night cream to stop the dryness. I am really worried I am doing something wrong?

MemberMember
(@lizj2011)

Posted : 08/07/2015 11:36 am

I am on my 2nd week of Month 2 and I have a pizza face! Literally have not broken out this bad EVER. I just "thought" I had an IB in Month 1, but oh my gosh- I was mistaken. :( Feeling extremely discouraged right now. 60mg Absorica.

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 08/09/2015 9:30 am

I am on my 2nd week of Month 2 and I have a pizza face! Literally have not broken out this bad EVER. I just "thought" I had an IB in Month 1, but oh my gosh- I was mistaken. :( Feeling extremely discouraged right now. 60mg Absorica.

I'm sorry to hear, but did your derm bump up ur dosage?

MemberMember
(@lizj2011)

Posted : 08/10/2015 7:55 am

Yes! I was on 20mg the first month and then 60mg now (30 in the morning 30 at night) =(

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 08/10/2015 7:57 am

Yes! I was on 20mg the first month and then 60mg now (30 in the morning 30 at night) =(

It is pretty normal for your to break out after upping your dosage. And since you upped your dosage by 40mg (which is a lot), a break out is to be expected for most people

MemberMember
(@lizj2011)

Posted : 08/10/2015 7:58 am

It is pretty normal for your to break out after upping your dosage. And since you upped your dosage by 40mg (which is a lot), a break out is to be expected for most people

Well that's re-assuring.. Just hope it goes away soon!!!!!