Notifications
Clear all

Really Need A Non-Comedogenic Chapstick

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 01/06/2013 7:02 pm

I am prone to break out on my chin, so lip balm really frighten me. I been using this one from the health food store that is pretty much just jojoba, avocado oil, and beeswax. I'm pretty comfortable with using, but it is extremely greasy feeling, and shiny. I hate this, cause I'm a guy. I just bought neutrogenas natural brand of lip balm but have yet to use it. What's your guys opinion on this lip balm, or what do you guys use that don't break you out on the chin. Also, how do you feel on lanolin, petroleum, and beeswax (the ingredients that seem to do vastly different things for people)?

MemberMember
(@5ive)

Posted : 01/06/2013 7:03 pm

Vaseline. Trust me on this one! I've tried a few and nothing beats it in terms of protecting my lips from harsh weather as well as not causing breakouts! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/06/2013 10:52 pm

does it matter what you use? As long as it sticks to your lips and nothing else you should be fine! I use whatever I have, weather it be chapstick or vasaline

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/07/2013 4:51 am

I've never experienced any sort of breakout from any lip balm I've used. I agree with Kyle, as long as it's just on your lips then I don't think there would be a problem. Vaseline and paw paw ointment would be my suggestions for really dry lips, though both would be quite shiny and comedogenic - but as long as you're applying just to your lips then it shouldn't lead to breakouts.

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 01/07/2013 7:00 am

Yes, obviously I'm not planning on smearing the lip balm all over my face, but a comedogenic product so close to my danger zone can still be an issue, even if its not in direct contact.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:18 am

Yeah, I understand your concern. I did I simple search and found this thread - there's not many posts but they all mention 'aquaphor' so maybe that's something to look into. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/25739-non-comedogenic-lip-balm/

You could also search google for a comedogenic ingredient list (there's also a thread on here like that) and compare ingredients in the lip balms you're considering to that list too if you wanted. I do this when planning to buy a new product and I'm not sure whether it'll irritate my skin/acne.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/07/2013 2:52 pm

i love carmex it works really great and if i use it every single day i dont get any zits near my lips.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 01/13/2013 12:30 pm

I just have to use moisturizer on my lips at night because ANY chapstick gives me a breakout right on the edge of me lip where it meets the skin. I love carmex but ill try and use it every couple of months to experiment and its always the same. I put cetaphil moisturizer on my lips if theyre dry and theyre always perfectly moisturized by the morning.

MemberMember
(@misspickle)

Posted : 01/13/2013 12:42 pm

Dan recommends either Vaseline, aquaphor, or jojoba oil! :)

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 01/15/2013 5:59 pm

I use the classic Carmex in strawberry flavour [in the tube, not the pot, that's very unhygienic] most of the time or Blistex Relief Cream. I have also used various Badger lip balms, none of these have given me acne around the mouth.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 01/15/2013 7:18 pm

I really like Burt's Bees. They have a couple different versions, and all the ones I have tried work great. I'm not sure if they're comedogenic though.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/16/2013 1:58 am

I use The Body Shop's lip balms and Korres lip butter with no issues. I also use Revlon's lip butter with spf15 - it's amazing and does not break me out. I used to use blistex but didn't like some of the ingredients (parabens etc).

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 01/19/2013 8:59 pm

Dan just uses jojoba oil on his lips.

MemberMember
(@imowlwaymo)

Posted : 02/16/2013 5:52 pm

I use the original carmex packaged in a tube. :)

MemberMember
(@iphoneguy12319)

Posted : 03/03/2013 4:21 pm

Castor oil hands down

I haven't had any mouth zits since I started using it and I got them bad from everything else

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/30/2013 7:32 pm

Use 100% pure vaseline. It is noncomedogenic. I am a guy and have looked forever for a safe lip balm as I am prone to breakouts around my lip and chin. I really don't think vaseline makes my lip shiny but I only use a little bit, just enough to get the chapped feeling gone. Try using as little as possible. Girls tend to apply that stuff all day long so that might be why they always have that shiny lipglossed look.

I used Aquaphor for a while, but I found it has a lot of bad ingredients and it also didn't help me at all in regards to acne around my lipline. Stay away from chapstick. i'd stay away from lanolin and beeswax personally.

Some of these "natural" lipbalms might work for some, and I am a huge advocate of natural products...but many contain things like coconut oil and other things that are very bad for those who are prone to breakouts.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 04/21/2013 12:08 pm

I would like to find a chapstick type of lip balm that is labeled as noncomedogenic.

I looked and have never found a single one, except this product by Clarins, from France, http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/clarins-moisture-replenishing-lip-balm/3471604?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=clarins_moisture_replenishing_lip_balm:673379&cm_pla=skin/body_treatmentreferralID=fd8b92bd-aaa4-11e2-9389-001b2166c62d ,which is too pricey in my opinion.

Has anyone found a similar but cheaper product, labeled noncomedogenic?

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 05/22/2013 3:21 pm

I have recently been getting loads of spots around my lips and realised it's from the lip balm I've been using :( Checked the ingredients and it has Myristyl Myristate in it :(

Carmex does the same thing to me because of the Lanolin in it :/

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 09/08/2013 6:16 am

I use and love Lucas papaw ointment :) I always wake up with fresh plump soft lips!