Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5 Dosage Effectiveness?

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 01/06/2013 6:26 pm

I have recently started the vitamin B5 treatment, but I have been taking a much lower dosage than what I have seen most people taking. I know that the studies were done with 10g a day, and I know people take anywhere from 5g-10g. I had asked for some B5 for Christmas to start me regimen, but I got the 250mg rather than the 500mg I had asked for, and as a result I have only been taking 2-2.25mg per day, yet I DEFIANTLY have experienced an initial breakout. I was almost out of B5 so I stopped by the vitamin shoppe today and picked up their generic brand of 500mg capsules (previously I was taking 250mg country life capsules). I am also on the smaller side (I'm only 5'5 and 110lb) which could also be swaying the scales in terms of dosage. Anyways, has anyone taken these levels of B5 and seen results? Am I just an anomaly, or did I randomly just break out badly (I never break out like I just did though, which lead me to believe it was an initial breakout)?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@aknekure)

Posted : 01/07/2013 1:30 am

At the lower dosages, unless your acne issue is a fairly new one or your skin heals unusually fast, you may find that the initial purging/breakout will last much longer. I leaned this the hard way myself. You will find that lower dosages of B5 will only be beneficial during the last stages of your progress (to be used more as a maintenance level intake).

Even at a smaller size, you should be looking at multiple servings totalling 7-8g every day, mor eif your acne is severe. I used B5 successfully many years ago (10?) and use to help others as well.

This is not to say that the lower dosages will not eventually do what you need, but if/when it finally kicks in it may be anywhere from 6-10 months or more at that dosage. And of course, that's only if your stress level, inflammation level/inflammatory response, dietary intake, etc. stay relatively the same during this time.

Now xdxdaustin, are you taking pantothenic acid only? Please be sure to do some research on adding b-vitamins, biotin and maybe more depending on your specific needs. I bring this up because I can't tell you how many straight B5 users end up with thinning hair and even hair loss once they have been taking straight B5 (only) for some time.

I come here from time to time, usually lurking about. I think this is actually my first post since reactivating my account 4 years ago or so. I mainly come to these forums for the scar care discussions now, but I will be glad to help you with any tips you may need from me.

Your B5 post made me think of my initial struggles with B5 so I thought I'd finallly come ou tof hiding (lol) and step in and try to help you out.

surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 01/08/2013 7:09 am

Thank you SO much for your reply. This information is absolutly priceless to me lol. I will be stepping up my dosage IMMEDITATLY. What do you recommend to prevent hair loss so I don't look like my father in 10 months :)? Ill PM you this same post just invade you don't get a notification.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/08/2013 1:30 pm

Be careful with other B vitamins. B5 is pretty good for acne because it reduces the activity of coenzyme A. But many of the other B vitamins can actually increase the likelihood of acne.

Besides upping your B5 dosage, I would add in some vitamin A.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/08/2013 1:44 pm

I been taking 6g a day 4 pills for breakfast 4 at lunch time and 4 dinner time.

First 2 weeks I broke out .

3rd week oil production reduce to the point where I only washed my face once daily.

4th week only had one pimple the whole week.

5th week no pimples no oil

6th ( currently ) 3 pimples but not bad ,been eating too much junk greasy food ( burgers pizza sodas etc) hopefully week 7th will be a good week ..also I haven't notice any thinning on my hair.

MemberMember
(@aknekure)

Posted : 01/08/2013 6:48 pm

The side effects like thinning hair/failling out don't affect everyone on B5. However, I think if they were on it (high dosage) long enojugh it would affect the majority at some point. You can only expect your body to be able to deal with the imbalances to a certain point. After that, it will start sending you signals (thinning hair, loss of hair, lethargy, etc.) hoping that you'll start listening and make some changes.

So that's great news nakedsmurf, so glad to hear you're having success with clearing your acne. Many will love to read your story I am sure. Just keep an eye on the potential side effects if you're using b5 alone.

There is only one company selling b5 products that I am aware of, that actually tell users/prospects that there is nothing to the whole deficiency problem and the side effects will not be an issue if you use b5 alone.

Problem is that this is true for most users for the first few months. Then as more time goes by and the daily intake of high dosages becomes the norm you will see more and more users (again of b5 alone) struggling with these issues. That's when I really feel bad for those that end up suffering from those side effects. It's much harder to combat the side effects once you find that now you're chasing them instead of being out in front of them.

I don't want to keep rambling, I apologize for that. I just wanted to add my $0.02 so that I wouldn't feel guilty later on if I could have helped someone avoid those potential issues BEFORE they started.

Green Gables is right too. You have to be careful with too many of the other b-vits. Too much b6, for one, with boys/men can cause more issues (can actually help girls more than guys especially during their monthly cycles).

surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 01/08/2013 9:19 pm

I been taking 6g a day 4 pills for breakfast 4 at lunch time and 4 dinner time.

First 2 weeks I broke out .

3rd week oil production reduce to the point where I only washed my face once daily.

4th week only had one pimple the whole week.

5th week no pimples no oil

6th ( currently ) 3 pimples but not bad ,been eating too much junk greasy food ( burgers pizza sodas etc) hopefully week 7th will be a good week ..also I haven't notice any thinning on my hair.

That sounds great! I'll defiantly keep that in mind. I love hearing peoples time lines of how their B5 experiment is going!

Be careful with other B vitamins. B5 is pretty good for acne because it reduces the activity of coenzyme A. But many of the other B vitamins can actually increase the likelihood of acne.

Besides upping your B5 dosage, I would add in some vitamin A.

I will definitely be throwing some B-50 into the mix to counter the imbalances with the other B vitamins, I am wary of starting to take copious amounts vitamins and becoming a slave to them and dolling out a small fortune to them. I used to take 3 250mg caplets of B5 three times a day, and planned on changing to 2 500mg caplets 3 times a day while taking vitamin E twice a day (400 IU's). Then if I start adding in vitamin B-50 (presumably twice a day, I don't know the specifics yet), and possibly biotin AND vitamin A, then I could be taking 8 different vitamins at one sitting idea.gif . Surely I'm missing something here? This seems like a bit much. Perhaps theres something I'm missing here?

MemberMember
(@aknekure)

Posted : 01/09/2013 2:56 pm

Unless you have deficiencies that require a bunch more supplements then I would bet that you'd be safe with just a basic multivitamin (especially a whole food based multi) and stick to your b5 regimen. if you're going to stay on a lower dose of b5 then yeah i guess you will need other 'helpers' to get you body to heal faster or on a more consistent basis.

Keep in mind, if you add 20 supplements right away the worst thing you could do (money wise) is to get clear, lol. Now you think you'll need all these supplements every month and, spending a fortune, when it is highly possible your system only needed a fraction of what you were taking.

Of course if you're looking to use supplements for other things, not just clearing your skin, then disregard this. But if you're looking to supplement with your b5 intake in hopes to achieve faster results... then you might not need to overload your system and/or drain your wallet

surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@cammytammy)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:39 am

Holland and barrett sell 500mg of these, it says times release, does this mater?

MemberMember
(@aknekure)

Posted : 01/24/2013 1:01 pm

Hey there cammytammy, sorry for the late reply. I haven't been online much lately and missed your post. B5 is good to have in your system over a prolong er period of time. B5 is water soluble so it will be out of your system within a matter of a few hours. This is why (for acne) you need to take such a large amount on a daily/ongoing basis.

I don't think the time released would hurt you in any way, but in large amounts I am not how much more bebefit it would give you. in theory it would seem to be better because you can only absorb so much of a vitamin (including B5) at one time... and each person may absorb more than others... with the rest being flushed out of the system.

So, again in theory, you could possibly absorb more over time (with less being flushed out) since only a certain amount of the vitamin is being aborbed at any given time and not the whole amount.

The only thing I would question is even if everything was running optimally in your system... when you're on the higher daily dosages of B5 which are required during the first 2-3 months... you would end up having some type of overlap with the delayed release of the vitamin into your system. So, I would believe the delayed response may not be as beneficial until you're on the lower daily dosages (the maintenance phase).

This is also why I believe that breaking up capsule regimens of B5 into 4 dosages each day. This helps to insure more B5 in your system each day and helps to limit the amount that is flushed from your system right away (again because your body can only take in so much at one time and the rest isn't processed at all). Then go to a 3 dosage system in months 3,4,5, etc. and eventually a 2 dosage plan for the maintenance phase.

Anyway, I hope this helps surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@lady_c)

Posted : 02/01/2013 8:17 am

I've been taking B5 intermittently for years now I find it effective to a degree, it doesn't help with hormonal breakouts, that's something I'm working on separately. I've never taken the recommended dose (10g), mostly due to finances and side effects (I'll explain in a minute). Throughout my years of ingesting B5 I ALWAYS took no more than 5g, because I took B5 periodically I'd often experience an initial breakout which would last for weeks. I recently tried to wean myself off B5 due to experiencing insatiable hunger. I began to wean off it to the point where I took B5 every few days. Currently, my skin (forehead and neck area region) has breakouts. I don't know if it's a combination of hormonal acne and possibly from weaning off B5. I decided to resume my intake of 4g at night to avoid feeling hungry.

MemberMember
(@aknekure)

Posted : 02/01/2013 9:00 pm

That clearcomplexion stuff looked familiar. I have a friend that had tried a product called Clear Skin B5 by a company called Liquid Health with some overall success. I thought it was the same after reading the ingredients. There are a few slightly different concentrations but the product looks to be the same, just in smaller packages. They sell it in 2oz bottles over the 32oz bottle from Liquid Health.

My friend said that the taste wasn't all that good, but in all fairness I know firsthand how hard it is to make a high dose B5 drink even slightly palatable... it's very tough!

They have some testimonials on their site though so hopefully it can be a benefit to others as well. This product looks to be pretty expensive so it better work for many of us that have to cuont our pennies, lol. Side note, looks like a lot of sugar each serving so if ur carb sensitive watch out.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 02/10/2013 12:43 pm

Week 8 just one small weird pimple on my ear.

Week 9 coming up