Notifications
Clear all

Does Anything Compare To Proactiv?

MemberMember
(@thaddeusmiles)

Posted : 01/06/2013 5:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there who has used Proactiv and has had success with it has used anything similar that gave them equal success. I love Proactive, I love the way it works, smells, and feels. The only thing I don't like about it is the monthly club billing BS they have. I used it a few years back (I'm a 32 year old male) and when I was finally able to cancel my skin was clear and it remained clear. About a year ago my skin started to break out again and around three months ago I noticed it was for sale at the local shopping mall. A three month supply was $80.00, but it worked so well for me in the past I was willing to pay that much. I am almost out and I would rather not pay that much and there are a few 3 step systems I have seen in stores. Any suggestions? Should I just stay with what works and what I like?

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 01/06/2013 6:13 pm

I've never tried any tre step system besides Clinique but it didn't work that well for me so I can't really compare but I think proactive has a option where you can order without them resending it to you however often they send it. I think I remember seeing it in a magazine before. Or you can at least order it then cancel the next orders.

It says on there website when you go to check out that it will send every 3 months unless you call costumer service and cancel or you can customize when you want it to ship.

I also think you should just stick with it sometimes it breaks your skin out more to change products. Also I've heard some horror stories from people how they switched and they had horrible skin after that. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 01/06/2013 6:17 pm

I use Proactiv and I have had great success with it! I am not really sure of what could replace step 1 or 2, but I recommend as a starting place, to get rid of step 3, just buying generic 2.5% benzoyl peroxide from the drug store. Thats all step 3 is, so theres no need to pay a premium. Also, Proactiv is a benzoyl peroxide based system, so any alternative to step 1 should be a benzoyl peroxide based wash. I hope I helped :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:50 pm

I used ProActive in the past, and I also used the AcneFree knockoff. Get the original version (not the "severe" version) if you want it to be formulated exactly like ProActive. I would say the products are pretty comparable. A month's supply was $10 last time I used it.

You can also get ProActive cheaper on QVC.com and loads of people who are unhappy with it sell their excess kits on ebay.

MemberMember
(@thaddeusmiles)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:04 am

Thanks for the responses and yes they helped, however I am still undecided. From what I understand the Walmart Equate system has the same ingredients as Proactiv and it's much cheaper, so I may try that. As weird as it may seem I will probably end up going ahead and getting another box of Proactiv simply because of how good it smells. The smell of every acne medication I've ever used has sickened me and I'm afraid that the Equate system will probably do the same. Has anyone reading this made the switch from Proactiv to the Equate system with any success? Thanks again for the responses everyone.