Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Feeling Like Me?

MemberMember
(@adamask1)

Posted : 01/06/2013 3:52 pm

Hi i have suffered from mild/moderate acne since the age of 17 (im 19 now)

This summer i went on vacation to Barcelona with my fam and i don't know why -but all my marks and zits went away. The rest of the summer was heaven, i got my confidence back, got some girls and where feeling overall really great.

Then during this autumn my acne started coming back. More and more, and i couldnt do anything about it. Now when i look at old pictures of myself when i had acne before the summer i'm like "pft, how could i be self-counscoius about that?" i feel lonely when im with my friends since none of them is suffering from acne like i do and i spend all of my time alone looking in mirrors and trying to "evaluate" my skin :( I think all of it would be a lot easier if a couple of my friends experienced the same thing as i do.

I would litteraly trade anything to get clear skin again. I dont get any girls anymore, i am ashamed to show up at partys with my friends because of my skin and when im out i feel like everyone is looking at my skin. Even when i talk to my family.

People have asked me lately "how are you doing?" and i just cant say that im doing good -and at the same time i dont wanna talk about my problems so my answers to the question is usually something avoiding. I keep telling myself that it will go away and stay positive, but FUCK! I cant anymore. I just need to talk to someone i dont know!

So is anyone feeling the same?

MemberMember
(@tony1990)

Posted : 01/06/2013 4:23 pm

I feel you bro, I feel like this every single day.. I do try to stay positive but at times its just really hard, on the vacation did you do anything different? Your diet? the way you wash your face? or did you go to the beach alot? Ive seen many people on this forum claiming their acne dissapeared after going on vacation and being out in the sun and swimming in the ocean really helped their skin. Try to pin point what you did differently.

MemberMember
(@lilylily89)

Posted : 01/06/2013 9:20 pm

It'll be okay :( I know hearing that phrase doesn't really help but it really will be okay. I'm 22 and just around two years ago I started to get acne. And it hit me hard these last few months. At my job, I have to interact with lots of people and honestly, I really wonder what they think about me because of my skin. I don't wear makeup because I'm too afraid that it'll just irritate it further when in reality, it's my picking habits that's out of control. And I understand about the confidence thing but I realized that the zits aren't going anywhere even if I feel bad about myself. It takes time for your skin to heal. And the whole family thing? I get it too. No one in my family has acne and it sucks being the only one that does and at such an age. Don't be so harsh on yourself and just distract yourself from picking or worrying about it so much. I don't look at myself in the mirrors unless I need to, I eat healthy and exercise regularly. So don't give up! :) mind over matter as they say :D

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/06/2013 11:42 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. And most people around here will be able to relate, so you're definitely not alone.

I can relate especially to what you said about when people ask 'how are you?' - I usually will say I'm good or ok, and for the most part that's true, but I just find it hard to talk to people about how having acne effects me and makes me feel. None of my friends have acne either. But I guess that's one of the good things about this site - just about everyone here is going through or has gone through acne or scarring and can relate to how it impacts you mentally/emotionally. I find that people who haven't had acne before just don't understand how hard it can be to deal with. If you do want to talk then you're welcome to message me, I find it easier to speak to someone I don't know too sometimes.

You said you try to stay positive and I think that's a great thing to keep doing. It doesn't mean you have to be cheery all day every day, you're 'allowed' your down days but if you can, try and not have them become a habit. Try and remember that acne can't stop you from enjoying life if you don't let it. Easier said than done, I know. Do what you can to distract yourself from your skin. Spend less time in front of the mirror - use it for what you actually need it for and then get out of the bathroom. Force yourself to get out and have a good time - try and worry less about your skin so that you can do that - I'm sure that we think our acne is much more noticeable than anyone else we meet does.

What were you doing different on holidays? Could have been diet, stressing less, salt water (from swimming in the ocean) etc that might have helped your skin then. So maybe making sure you're eating right now, trying to relax and maybe looking into making/trying a sea salt toner could be things to try? There's a thread for a green tea and sea salt toner that you could find if you searched acne.org for it. Just a suggestion.

So anyway, you're not alone. Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@aurielle357)

Posted : 01/08/2013 5:27 pm

I agree with the above post, try to figure out what it was about your time in barcelona that made your skin clear up, and then try to apply that to your daily life..but the biggest issue is that your confidence in your own worth as a person should not rest on a temporary skin condition. Find other things you love about yourself, and realize other people dont really care whether or not you have acne. I used to be so self conscious, and one thing that helped me was looking at other people with acne and realizing that I don't care at all about their acne. People are way more wrapped up in their own insecurities to give much thought to yours.

MemberMember
(@blottedscience)

Posted : 01/09/2013 3:09 pm

I know that feel man. It's so fucked up. It became natural to me to anwser " I'm good. " because I dont want to talk about my problem. Worst years of my life... should be the best

MemberMember
(@adamask1)

Posted : 01/20/2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the kind answers. I'm feeling a bit better now than when i wrote this. Hanging out with my old really good friend more now and thats helping some. I think the combination of less stress sun and sea water made my skin better during my holiday and thats kind of hard getting around here during this time of the year (i live in sweden haha)

its dark about 20 hours/day and the air is really dry and cold outside. Personally i think thats what fucks up my skin so bad. But well maybe i shouldnt complain to much on the other hand -my acne is my one and generally only problem. I use to think to myself that everybody got their problems just like me -but other ones that i cant relate to! Just finding myself wishing i could trade mine against their for a while.