Notifications
Clear all

I Thought I Would Have Clear Skin By Now...

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 01/05/2013 10:11 pm

Hey guys! I'm sort of new to the message boards so I thought I would introduce myself. =)

Also wanted your opinion of just how bad my acne is and how you would describe it. I've been lurking around this community for awhile and you all seem more knowledgeable than many of the professionals I've seen. I've attached a picture to this post. It's only of my chin, I wanted to maintain as much anonymity as possible. =) My chin and forehead break out the most as far as my face is concerned. The sides of my forehead look the same as my chin with the center being more mild. My cheeks are typically clear although I'm getting a couple of blemishes there now, too. I had mild-moderate acne on my chest but it has actually cleared up (well, all but some mild hyperpigmentation), I had severe acne on my back but it has simmered down to what I would consider moderate. I don't know what I would consider my face, sometimes I look at it and feel like it's improving, other times I think it looks worse than ever. I'm finding it really hard to be objective...

As far as history goes, I had beautiful skin until I was twenty. Then for whatever reason it flipped out and hasn't been the same since. I have been on one acne medication or another for ten years. I have used topicals, antibiotics, birth control pills and nearly every drug store/OTC product available. The past several years I had gotten by on just the birth control pill after weaning off Differin and Solodyn but then I quit taking it earlier this year and I've been a mess every since. I thought surely I had outgrown my acne. I thought wrong.

I am currently on doxycycline, clindamycin, benzoyl peroxide and Yaz. I have seen mild improvement in the inflammation and body acne, but I still have active spots particularly on my face. My dermatologist and gynecologist think that my problem is likely hormonal but don't feel hormone testing is necessary. ??? My dermatologist is recommending Accutane. Any thoughts? The thought of taking a 4-6 month course and *never having acne again* sounds wonderful but the side effects scare the bejesus out of me. The only other thing I haven't tried is spironolactone but I am also hesitant to start another medication that I will have to take for years upon years.

Sorry so long but any impressions on my skin and current situation would be greatly appreciated. Best to you all. =)

post-191931-0-22328400-1357441722.jpg

post-191931-0-22328400-1357441722.jpg

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:27 pm

How long have you been on Yaz? It can be very effective for acne but it takes about 6 months to see clear skin.

If your acne is hormonal, Accutane will be useless for you. Many women relapse after Accutane ends for this very reason.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:41 pm

Thanks so much for your response! I've actually been on Yaz for three years. When I first started taking it, I saw an IMMEDIATE improvement in my acne, especially the body acne. I stopped taking it early last year thinking I had outgrown my acne, once I started breaking out horribly I started up again and have been on it again for about six months with no improvement. cry.gif I've debated changing birth control pills but I really don't like being on the pill. My dermatologist keeps suggesting Accutane but I am reluctant to take the leap due to the potential for serious side effects, I am also considering spironolactone but I am also hesitant to try another medication that I will have to be on for years.

MemberMember
(@hazza1)

Posted : 01/09/2013 10:55 pm

I would recommend accutane

It was the greatest decision I ever made and I suffered no side effects except dry lips and I was on 80 mg a day

You will no longer need things to improve your acne

It will completely go

Also trust your dermatologist :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:21 am

Thanks so much for your response! I've actually been on Yaz for three years. When I first started taking it, I saw an IMMEDIATE improvement in my acne, especially the body acne. I stopped taking it early last year thinking I had outgrown my acne, once I started breaking out horribly I started up again and have been on it again for about six months with no improvement. cry.gif I've debated changing birth control pills but I really don't like being on the pill. My dermatologist keeps suggesting Accutane but I am reluctant to take the leap due to the potential for serious side effects, I am also considering spironolactone but I am also hesitant to try another medication that I will have to be on for years.

By the way Yaz works for acne mainly because it contains drospirenone, which is a form of spironolactone. Yaz only contains about a 25mg dose though. For severe acne like mine, it took 100mg of straight spiro. May be why Yaz didn't work the second time...

I personally don't like the Accutane option...I had a roommate a few years ago who went bald halfway through her first Accutane course. It makes me a bit biased, but weird things definitely do happen to some Accutane patients. I have also talked to many women whose acne came back after Accutane. My personal belief is that a good portion of women who were "cured" by Accutane in their teens and early twenties weren't...they became sexually active and got on a good form of birth control that kept them clear.

But if it's something you're determined to try, go for it. Just watch carefully for side effects like low back and knee pain...it's those side effects that lead to the nasty stuff in the long run. I know another girl who was aiming to be a professional dancer and her career was RUINED by a relatively low dose course of Accutane. She just pushed through the course, though, and then her knee pain was so severe that she stopped dancing completely.

I don't know how old you are, but if you want to do Accutane for sure, it is better to do it sooner rather than later. Many insurance companies stop covering Accutane and other acne treatments (like Retin A) around age 24."Adult acne" is considered a resistant disease and is a big money drain from the insurance company point of view.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:11 am

I think Green Gables gives you some pretty good advice. A friend of mine just said her derm told her that he has seen relapses on Accutane many times because of the underlying hormonal issues. That being said, if you are going to do it, you should do it sooner rather than later. As for the Spiro - I think it depends how old you are and if/when you want kids. For me, I'm almost 32 with fertility issues and my endo gave me a good stern talking to that I had to be adamant I do not want any more children if I'm going on Spiro. He said it can take up to 9 months ot kick in, so for me there is no point in going on it if I need to get pregnant in the next few years. It does seem like it would be very effective for you though. I don't know why they are denying you hormonal testing because there could certainly be underlying abnormalities - if I were you I would go elsewhere to get that.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:10 am

Thanks again to everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

I am thirty years old. I have not had children yet but do hope to if I meet the right person. That is a topic for an entirely different board. rolleyes.gif I was under the impression that spiro was similar to the birth control pill in that it did not have a negative impact on fertility long-term. If it would effect fertility, then that may not be my best option.

My gut feeling when offered Accutane in the past has been no but am reconsidering. I feel like I don't have a lot of options and I really want this stuff gone. And my dermatologist seems so optimistic about it, he says he has never seen any of his patients have severe side effects. It's hard to know what to do.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:59 am

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it would negatively impact fertility! I have no idea if it does. Just that the amount of time it takes for it to work - doesn't make sense if you are getting pregnant soon and would just have to go off of it.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:38 pm

Ohhh, gotcha. I think I may have misunderstood also. Sounds like it would be more of a timing and planning issue, not so much that it effects ability to conceive.

MemberMember
(@lurveskin)

Posted : 01/10/2013 4:09 pm

I was the same way with YAZ! It worked great at first, then it was like my body got used to it or something. I have been on it for 4 years. It also helps me with other female related issues though. I feel your pain... it is the most frustrating experience.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/10/2013 5:34 pm

Thanks again to everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

I am thirty years old. I have not had children yet but do hope to if I meet the right person. That is a topic for an entirely different board. rolleyes.gif I was under the impression that spiro was similar to the birth control pill in that it did not have a negative impact on fertility long-term. If it would effect fertility, then that may not be my best option.

My gut feeling when offered Accutane in the past has been no but am reconsidering. I feel like I don't have a lot of options and I really want this stuff gone. And my dermatologist seems so optimistic about it, he says he has never seen any of his patients have severe side effects. It's hard to know what to do.

It doesn't impact fertility.

There was also a study that concluded spiro was safe to take while pregnant and even breastfeeding. If you do a thorough google search you can find it. Of course many doctors will tell you to go off all medications just to be safe, and so they don't get sued :)

MemberMember
(@fiercebadrabbit)

Posted : 01/29/2013 4:28 pm

Hi,

I don't mean to scare anyone (this is simply a warning) but my doctor took me off Yaz because he felt it was too risky. A few months after I saw a CBC program on the dangerous side-effects of Yaz/Yasmin, they interviewed the family of a young woman who died from taking this brand. FDA claims Yaz and Yasmin are 2-3 times more likely to cause blood clots than any other birth control pill.

I highly recommend you do some research on the dangers and side-effects of this pill (just do a quick web search) - obviously it's not going to cause problems for every woman that takes it but if it's not doing anything for your skin, my opinion is why risk it? Again I'm not out to scare anyone or cause trouble, I just want to share what I know.