Notifications
Clear all

Sulfur-Based Medicine Supply Problems?

MemberMember
(@erasmus8)

Posted : 01/05/2013 5:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have had this problem. I have been using prescription sulfur-based acne medicines for years, and they've worked great for me. Specifically I was using a Sodium Sulfacetaminde 10% and Sulfur 5% Suspension. A few months ago I moved and switched health care providers (from Pennsylvania to California, and from Aetna to Kaiser Permanente, respectively). I recently tried to get a refill of my medicine, but the pharmacist at Kaiser told me that there was no sulfur-based acne medicine available from their supplier in any form - cream, lotion, wash, soap, etc. They've *all* been discontinued. I was stunned that this happened so suddenly.

Since this happened just after I moved I wanted to see if this is a problem specific to Kaiser and/or California, in the hopes that I could find what I need somewhere else. Have any of you who use prescription sulfur acne medicines had the same problem?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 01/05/2013 5:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have had this problem. I have been using prescription sulfur-based acne medicines for years, and they've worked great for me. Specifically I was using a Sodium Sulfacetaminde 10% and Sulfur 5% Suspension. A few months ago I moved and switched health care providers (from Pennsylvania to California, and from Aetna to Kaiser Permanente, respectively). I recently tried to get a refill of my medicine, but the pharmacist at Kaiser told me that there was no sulfur-based acne medicine available from their supplier in any form - cream, lotion, wash, soap, etc. They've *all* been discontinued. I was stunned that this happened so suddenly.

Since this happened just after I moved I wanted to see if this is a problem specific to Kaiser and/or California, in the hopes that I could find what I need somewhere else. Have any of you who use prescription sulfur acne medicines had the same problem?

Thanks.

I think it is specific to Kaiser because that happened with me as well. I have been with Kaiser for years in California and was prescribed sodium sulfacetamide for approximately 5 years and then last spring they said that it was discontinued from their distributor.I asked if they had other sulfur based medications and they said no.

MemberMember
(@erasmus8)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:54 pm

I think it is specific to Kaiser because that happened with me as well. I have been with Kaiser for years in California and was prescribed sodium sulfacetamide for approximately 5 years and then last spring they said that it was discontinued from their distributor.I asked if they had other sulfur based medications and they said no.

That sucks cry.gif Have you been able to find anything else that works as well for you?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:52 pm

If you have a prescription you can legally get it from a certified canadian pharmacy.

MemberMember
(@drny)

Posted : 01/18/2013 1:20 pm

Hi there-

I'm in a similar situation and was Googling to find alternate treatment options, and stumbled upon your post. Unfortunately, it's not California-specific (I'm on the East Coast.) I had been using a wash called Clenia for about two years, and it has worked wonders. When I went to get a refill in November, I was told that it had been discontinued. My doctor suggested Plexion or Avar as a replacement, but those have both been discontinued as well. I managed to track down one pharmacy that had a bottle of Clenia left, and have been using that sparingly for the last two months, but now it's almost gone and I need to find a replacement.

There IS still a generic available, but I wouldn't recommend it--it's in a petroleum jelly base that feels exactly like slathering Vaseline on your skin, and leaves behind an oily film. The products aren't manufactured anymore (I've had pharmacists at several drugstores call the companies for me!) so I don't think Canadian pharmacies are an option, even with a prescription. I had a dermatologist appointment this week and she suggested going back to something OTC, since there really aren't any other options for sulfur-based things to prescribe.

I'd love to know what others are using as a replacement for these washes?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/18/2013 3:17 pm

I have found several places selling Sulfacet-R and Clarifoam, both of which are the typical sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur combo. They are not in a vaseline base.

I believe Sulfacet-R is still in produciton.

Sulfacet-R

Sulfacet-R #2

Sulfacet-R #3

Clarifoam EF (The Clarifoam may be going out of stock as it is pretty pricey)

As long as you have a prescription that you or your doctor can fax them, you're good to go.

There really isn't an OTC replacement. There are sulfur creams but part of the reason Clenia etc. work so well is they are combined with the sulfacetamide antimicrobial.

MemberMember
(@drny)

Posted : 01/22/2013 10:59 am

I'm pretty sure the Sulfacet products have been discontinued as well--my dermatologist and pharmacy had them as an option in the past, but no longer. And they have been removed from the product list on the manufacturer's website. Unfortunately I had a horrible experience with Clariform a few years ago, so I won't be giving that one another shot even if it is still on the market.

I ended up with a prescription for Sumaxin, but couldn't afford to fill it--even with insurance it was almost $300/bottle ($450/bottle without!) As far as I know that is the only oil-free wash still on the market. Too expensive for me, but maybe it will help someone who has $300 a month to spend on face wash!