My Transition Into ...

Notifications
Clear all

My Transition Into Acne Hell (Pics)

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/05/2013 7:37 am

Well, this is who I was, a mere few days before my face BETRAYED me and transcended into the infernal depths of acne hell.

When my acne started to 'blossom' I thought I'd use my old trick of getting a 30% glycolic peel done at SK:N to melt the beast off my face as I had done so sucessfully in the past, but this wasn't like the acne i had before and not only did it just make my acne worse, the glycolic has seemingly given me scarring too and wrinkles to boot. And i think it has given me broken cappillaries too. Brilliant.

Then, it exploded, and has continued to explode. I've lost so much on the way; the man i love, my job, my whole self really. I'm desperate to get some semblance of my old life back. I've tried so much in the last 6/7months: diet change, blue light, all OTC products, antibiotics, differin, so much! Nothing shifts this beast and quite frankly I am physically and emotionally drained.

I am not the same person I was. Unrecognisable.

I have lost a lot of weight and cried so so much. Pretty much everyday, so I've ruined my eyes too! And it's not just from the acne but because I miss my old life, and i'm so angry at myself for letting my initial reaction to my acne lead me to this. I admit i desperately miss my ex boyfriend but even he says I look a complete wreck!

And then aside from my acne, well my overall complexion is terrible. I don't know if it's the active acne but my skin just looks dull, blotchy and lifeless.

And now - I have roaccutane staring me in the face. I am sh*t on a stick scared of this medication. I am not sure if this is the right thing. Goddamn Derms here in UK won't prescribe Spironolactone; so this is it. Is this the path to redemption or further hell? I don't know. I still don't know what to do. Would you chaps and chapettes take the risk and do the tane??

Simply put; acne destroyed me. I can't help but feel betrayed by my goddamn body! Acne is cruel but somewhere i still have hope. I think...post-187402-0-85668600-1357388695_thumb.post-187402-0-78739700-1357389351.jpgpost-187402-0-32706700-1357388743_thumb.post-187402-0-44752300-1357390722.jpg

post-187402-0-85668600-1357388695_thumb.

post-187402-0-32706700-1357388743_thumb.

post-187402-0-78739700-1357389351.jpg

post-187402-0-44752300-1357390722.jpg

MemberMember
(@williamrickard)

Posted : 01/05/2013 7:47 am

Try Danne Montague King, there is a link to my blog on my profile. Read up about it, it has cured my acne!

Best of luck, William x

Also inbox me if you want to talk about it, been through it all just like you x

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/05/2013 7:53 am

Hey thanks Will, do you really reckon it will work on my kind of acne?

Mine seems to be the deep 'leaves-massive-bullet-type-holes' in the face kinda acne. Would it really work? Doesn't putting so many chemicals on your face affect your skin??

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/05/2013 7:55 am

Hey Miss Soloist,

I'm sorry to hear that accutane is the last resort for you. I know it must be rough to be weighing up the pros and cons right now.

For some reason I can't see attatched photographs on this site, but I believe I've seen a picture of you before and what I could see of you looked beautiful. I've also seen you posting around the boards and you seem like a very warm and caring person with a big heart.

Please don't let this hurt you too much. I know all too well how easy it is to think of yourself as somehow damned or ruined, but the person I've met on these boards is neither of those things.

comfort.gif

[Edit: Pictures are showing up now, yay. Gosh girl, you're gorgeous! And your acne isn't as bad as you think. Any man that says you look like a wreck - any liar, basically - isn't worth it, no matter how much you miss him right now. You *will* get your life back on track. We all fall of the horse at some time or another. You're beautiful and lovely and you'll meet the right person for you. He's probably out there right now, wishing he could just meet you already]

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/05/2013 9:00 am

Thank you chick! That's so sweet and lovely of you to say. Your words really comforted me.

Yes, i used to look ok but now i look really bad - i'd be too ashamed to post pics of myself now. I let everything affect me badly. But thank you, you've very kind xx

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/05/2013 9:17 am

Your actual face is beautiful. No amount of acne or crying can change that.

MemberMember
(@italiangeek)

Posted : 01/05/2013 10:08 am

I hate to hear how much this is effecting you! I echo what Spotthedifference said, you really are gorgeous, and no acne can take that away from you. I don't know what to suggest as treatment, but try and remember that anyone that matters will notice how pretty you are and not that youre struggling with your skin.

MemberMember
(@wilsypt)

Posted : 01/05/2013 1:26 pm

Hey there, im 26 have had perfect skin for 25 years.....then boom. I split up with my girlfriend and got suspended from work and got really depressed and stressed out. That seemed to trigger mental acne which i have been dealing with for nearly a year. Much like yourself ive tried everything under the sun.

Tried loads of products from clean and clear, different clinique toners and products, different shaving techniques and products. In the end I sort of just gave up and assumed when live was slightly less stressful they would disapear on thier own. However if anything having these spots is making me more socially withdrawn than ever before. I am a physical trainer by proffession and eat very healthy so i know my diet couldnt be better so im not convinced about changing your diet to help with acne. Just putting that out there incase you where considering it.

Been the doctor recently who told me I had folliculitus (an inflammation of the skin) she told me to take fluxocillin (an antibiotic) for 2 weeks and it would be gone. I was ready to make out with her, i was delighted to hear I didn't have the acne which i was convinced i had. The spots actually started to clear up over christmas, i was delighted. Then.......I finished the course and they came back just as bad as before.

4 days ago I found this site, actually i dabbled before looking for answers for my little sister but didn't really go in depth. Anyway I had a look at dans regime and tried to find similar uk products to give it a bash.

Im totally serious about this, ive been on regime for 4 days and im already starting to look like the old me. A HUGE difference in size of spots, healing and general condtion of my skin. Even one MASSIVE cystic spot (been getting one or two of these each month, they are so horrible a complete eye sore) is healing much quicker than before.

Uk product routine based on Dan's

Clinique for men facial scrub (I always used this before and loved it so I just stuck with it, however I know I will get better results with a non exfoliating wash, just waiting for this one to be done as it was 22)

Panoxyl 2.5 BP (you can get this over the counter at most chemist's)

Clinique for men gel moisturiser (I love this because I have really oily skin and it dries that up)

my skin is getting a little flakey around healing areas of spots and in places on my neck, ive read about people adding jojoba oil to their moisturiser with great resulsts but im too scared as of yet to try that. I'll let you know if i go there.

Follow dans routine perfectly, especially the bit about being gentle and starting the routine slowly as far as BP is concerned.

I wish you all the luck in the worle because I understand how much acne can ruin your self efficacy and spill into everything in life.

Any questions then just fire them at me.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:27 pm

Hi --- I think we've talked before but I totally understand your anguish. You have exactly the same kind of acne that I have struggled with for my whole adult life (decades). Why are you resisting accutane? It really is not that bad and it sets your pores up so that medications that didn't work before suddenly start working. How does it do this? By resetting the amount of oil that your pores have to deal with. So you will be clear while on it and better able to control acne when finished.

Chances are your hormones cause you to have too much oil and then on top of that you are sensitive to the hormones (androgens). There are ways to get around this without doing spironolactone. First off you have to have a regimen that is for sensitive skin but still kills acne bacteria and gets your skin to shed better. There are 4 things I do that I feel have been the cornerstone of my FINALLY having clear skin. It was my current derm who prescribed my regimen (see bottom of page). He is the tops in our area for adult acne.

1. Wash with a benzoil peroxide cleanser. I use Panoxyl-4 which is patented for keeping skin clear eventhough it is mostly washed off. It is also good for sensitive skin that otherwise could not tolerate BP.

2. Use an antibacterial toner. I use Cleocin-T. This is a perscription toner but is hands-down absolutely amazing for stopping acne bacteria and inflammation. I can put it on emerging bumps and they never get bigger or become infected. It is a lifesaver for me!

3. Use a topical retinoid. I use a 1% generic tretinoin cream very sparingly. This is essential for good cell regrowth and refining the pores. Also kills acne bacteria.

4. Do a monthly microdermabrasion. This also has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD as far as my skin texture and ability to shed dead skin cells. Persistent red acne that is deep and cystic like yours means that your skin is not shedding properly at all. This may be a genetic problem but the regular monthly microdermabrasion can compensate for this.

As you can see attacking this kind of acne takes a multi-prong approach. This is how my derm explained it. If I don't do all the steps then my acne comes roaring back and I am 60 years old...I know - hard to believe someone can have acne this long but I did.

I sincerely worry when I see others searching for the one thing they can do to control their acne, especially when they have painful cystic acne. I worry because there is no one thing that will control this...it takes a multi-prong approach (above) that also includes diet and lifestyle. It is like any other inflammatory disease.

Hope this helps. And I agree with the others you are very pretty so hang on to that. I too have been called attractive and yet I had to deal with awful cystic acne forever. I just kept on trying to deal with it. Now I have skin that looks at least 10-15 years younger than my peers (...due to all the topicals?...) and I still have my "looks".

Never lose hope!

And when you get clearer your life will come back as before --- even better! Life can continue while flaring with cystic acne but it is hard to keep going. I agree with another poster above that a good man will stick by you. My husband did and I love him all the more for it.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/11/2013 1:42 pm

The only thing I see is a beautiful woman freaking out for no reason. Tears and all this unnecessary stress is just making your acne worse, believe me! Stop having such high requirements for yourself - you don't have to be perfect. Your body didn't betray you, it just shows you small signals that something inside of you is not quite well. It actually asks for your help, so stop hating yourself - help yourself instead! :)

I have some different advises for you:

1. Stop crying so much. I know you want to be flawless and beautiful, but you are despite those few bumps on your face. I was starting a modelling job when my acne got worse. Of course, I had to quit, modelling job requires to wear a lot of heavy make up and stuff. It felt like my world fell apart at first, but then I asked myself - is this what defines me? Some god damned pimples? Life doesn't revolve around acne, be happy with the way you are!!

2. Don't take accutane. My derm said that it's the last resort for extreme cases when there's a risk of permanent scarring.

3. Do some research calmly. Have patience. Listen to your body, it's not your enemy.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 01/11/2013 2:11 pm

Okay first - you are STUNNING... seriously, gorgeous and please do not think that those clusters on your chin are a sign for accutane!!

Stop stressing - it will get better, the stress does not help. Severe levels of stress cause hormonal imbalances and that is, my dear, what i think is happening here! Lets work in helping you fix it - message me, i have this awesome article that I read when i was having the same acne and it helped me BIG TIME! And dont worry, it will get better but the first thing you need to do is believe it will... and BELIEVE that you are beautiful - absolutely without a doubt. Do not allow your mind to think twice about this boy you miss... he is causing you heart ache and a lot of pain and that will trigger this unhealthy hormonal releases also... let him go, its time to think about YOU and how great YOU ARE... forget anyone who doesnt support that.

MemberMember
(@rumplesilkskin)

Posted : 01/11/2013 3:11 pm

Okay first - you are STUNNING... seriously, gorgeous and please do not think that those clusters on your chin are a sign for accutane!!

Stop stressing - it will get better, the stress does not help. Severe levels of stress cause hormonal imbalances and that is, my dear, what i think is happening here! Lets work in helping you fix it - message me, i have this awesome article that I read when i was having the same acne and it helped me BIG TIME! And dont worry, it will get better but the first thing you need to do is believe it will... and BELIEVE that you are beautiful - absolutely without a doubt. Do not allow your mind to think twice about this boy you miss... he is causing you heart ache and a lot of pain and that will trigger this unhealthy hormonal releases also... let him go, its time to think about YOU and how great YOU ARE... forget anyone who doesnt support that.

I'll second this for sure! So beautiful also... If all of us think it, u better start believing it! x

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/11/2013 4:55 pm

Thank you, you're all so lovely and kind. That photo was just before all hell broke loose. I've deteriorated so much since then but i hope one day i might feel pretty again.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/11/2013 5:11 pm

Accutane may work for you, but as you are in the UK you have access to some of the best birth control that helps hormonal acne. Diane-35 or Dianette. Can't get that stuff here in the states.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/11/2013 5:20 pm

Accutane may work for you, but as you are in the UK you have access to some of the best birth control that helps hormonal acne. Diane-35 or Dianette. Can't get that stuff here in the states.

Yes you can get those here. Is it realistic that I could stay on those longterm? I'm guessing since I'm 28 my acne is going to be with me a long time.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/11/2013 11:57 pm

Yes you can get those here. Is it realistic that I could stay on those longterm? I'm guessing since I'm 28 my acne is going to be with me a long time.

Yes, many women are on birth control pills for years on end.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/12/2013 5:44 am

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/12/2013 6:03 am

something for you to consider,

It's unusual to start getting spots at 28 and I thought like you "it's going to with me for a long time",but I found out what was causing the spots about the age of 25 and every couple of years (my fault) I get an outbreak for a couple of years,

it was your photo of the big spot on your cheek that made me think do you suffer from the same condition as me,as it is exactly like I suffer from,

I found out by accident,now at the age of 54 and hate the thought that you could spend the next 30 or more years suffering,

I am allergic to chemicals added to certain food products,as I live in the UK,the food brands probably have a different name where you live,but I can certainly give you advice.

MemberMember
(@myadultacnecure)

Posted : 01/13/2013 4:05 am

Your acne looks very similar to mine (I know that this is a weird comment lol). I have had acne since 13 and am now 22, and MIGHT have found the cure. I'm not sure yet, but my face is acting differently to this treatment than anyother and I've tried near-everything except Roaccutane. If it works, I'll post my cure in the next 2 weeks. I don't think many people (in the world) have tried it so don't want to jump the gun yet. Whatever the case, I can really relate to the upset. I've unfortunately had those same weird skincolored bumps on my chin (along with the acne of course) for many years now HOWEVER 2 times in my life they disappeared for around 1 week...so there is obviously a way for them to disappear. Good luck!

PS: Kasyani, would love to hear what you were allergic too. Very interested. Thanks

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/13/2013 6:21 am

Your acne looks very similar to mine (I know that this is a weird comment lol). I have had acne since 13 and am now 22, and MIGHT have found the cure. I'm not sure yet, but my face is acting differently to this treatment than anyother and I've tried near-everything except Roaccutane. If it works, I'll post my cure in the next 2 weeks. I don't think many people (in the world) have tried it so don't want to jump the gun yet. Whatever the case, I can really relate to the upset. I've unfortunately had those same weird skincolored bumps on my chin (along with the acne of course) for many years now HOWEVER 2 times in my life they disappeared for around 1 week...so there is obviously a way for them to disappear. Good luck!

PS: Kasyani, would love to hear what you were allergic too. Very interested. Thanks

first of all I would like to say I only ever got the one big spot,maybe cystic and never had lots of smaller pimples,the above pics (miss soloist) is a good example of how they firsy appeared before they blossomed,I suffered week in week out from the ages of 14/15 to 24/26 and like you I had a few of periods in my life where they disappeared,this when I wasn't living at home and eating my mother's cooking,when I left home at the age of 25/26 they completely vanished,although I was eating fried food daily,

30 years on(suffering every couple of years) I know for a fact that the chemcals contained in ramen/pot noodles,instant soup/tea,gravy/coffee granules,mix in packet sauces like in the UK, schwartz,colemans,coloured rice,etc etc positively give me huge spots FACT.my daughter also has the same condition as me but not my son.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/13/2013 7:08 am

It's unusual to start getting spots at 28 and I thought like you "it's going to with me for a long time",but I found out what was causing the spots about the age of 25 and every couple of years (my fault) I get an outbreak for a couple of years,

it was your photo of the big spot on your cheek that made me think do you suffer from the same condition as me,as it is exactly like I suffer from,

I found out by accident,now at the age of 54 and hate the thought that you could spend the next 30 or more years suffering,

I am allergic to chemicals added to certain food products,as I live in the UK,the food brands probably have a different name where you live,but I can certainly give you advice.

I'm from the UK too. Any advice welcome!

Wow - i'd love to hear about that!

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:04 am

I'm from the UK too. Any advice welcome!

Wow - i'd love to hear about that!

I am allergic/intolerant to instant food mainly granular or things like pot noodles,gravy granules,cup a soup,schwartz/colemans,homebrand packet mix in sauces,coloured rice,instant pot rice/tea/oats(add boiling water to activate),somethings from the sweet/pudding sections that you don't add hot water too but the chemical is already in them,even some prescription tablets have the chemical that is poison for me,FACT

i am worried about my 21 year old daughter,she also suffers the same as me,the one big spot,but the last few weeks her face is starting like yours,going back to the pic in november,the trouble is lately she is eating out at restaurants and fast food places,these are places I have to avoid and her to,so she is being forced back to this and she doesn't like it.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 01/14/2013 2:50 pm

kasyani --- what exactly is the chemical you are allergic to?

From what you say it sounds like you may have the papule-pustule form of rosacea. This kind of rosacea looks much like cystic acne but often without the flushing common with rosacea and also is different from regular acne because there are no blackheads, etc. One of the signs that you have this form of rosacea is a skin reaction to overprocessed foods that often have high concentrations of salts, sugars and artificial ingredients. Things like soy sauce or vinegary foods can be triggers too.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/15/2013 4:51 am

kasyani --- what exactly is the chemical you are allergic to?

From what you say it sounds like you may have the papule-pustule form of rosacea. This kind of rosacea looks much like cystic acne but often without the flushing common with rosacea and also is different from regular acne because there are no blackheads, etc. One of the signs that you have this form of rosacea is a skin reaction to overprocessed foods that often have high concentrations of salts, sugars and artificial ingredients. Things like soy sauce or vinegary foods can be triggers too.

I don't actually know the name of the chemical,I just know what food brands contain these chemicals,most of them have a long shelf life and you add boiling water to activate,the most potent is, in the USA is ramen noodles and in the UK pot noodles,also gravy/coffee granules,instant soup/tea/rice&noodles,mix in packet sauces,these are widely used in restaurants and fast food outlets,

recently I was prescribed tablets(long term) and I had the same problem,but now my doctor has given me tablets that don't seem to have these chemicals in.

So now I generally avoid eating out,I can say with definetly that this unknown chemical causes my big spot after being virtually spot free for 30 years(getting caught out every couple of years) after previously suffering week in week out for 10 years of my youth.

I am glad that you are taking an interest in my condition,as my 21 year old daughter has suffered a recent breakout and it will be interesting for you and me to see if her condition can be prevented rather than cured,

she also has a very clear complexion apart from 3 or 4 larger spots which aren't in a cluster