Notifications
Clear all

Can You Take (Ro)Accutane If You Already Have Ibs?

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/04/2013 4:13 pm

Hi all,

So i have my roaccutane prescription now. Due to be starting 25mg for the first month, however I also suffer with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Lately it's been really really bad because I've been so stressed by the fact my acne is so bad. My Derm seems to think it won't be an issue but I am skeptical. Is there any other users out there who have used roaccutane with stomach issues or any advice? Many thanks!

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 01/04/2013 4:20 pm

I haVE IBS (it wasnt actually diagnosed prior to my accutane course but has been since) and took Accutane for 7 months at 40mgs

I dont know if it worsened it or not but it does seem to flare more lately BUT i did get married, and have made some big decisions to do work on my scarring so I can see why it has flarred lately.

I didnt have any really bad issues while taking the medicine with my tummy.

GOOD LUCK!

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/04/2013 5:15 pm

Oh cool, that's kind of comforting to know. What symptoms did you mainly get?

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:32 pm

If you have IBS-D your symptoms will go away because accutane makes you constipated. Now if you have IBS-C....I would definitely get with your doctor on that.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:56 pm

I get anxious, then severe stomach pains that come in waves, diarrhea

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/07/2013 10:17 am

I have IBS-D. So i guess that might be ok?... I am going to see my doctor tomorrow to talk about it. Ironically, i'm pretty sure my gut issues have come from being on so many antibiotics for acne.

Constant stress has been making my guts really bad. I guess it might be best to check it out before I start. I don't know, when you have other pre-existing health issues, it makes roaccutane all the more terrifying.

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:09 pm

Yeah my MD told me to 100% not get on accutane because of the IBS... but I had an allergy test done and found out I was allergic to a ton of food and sine I cut those foods out I rarely have a problem. You should look into that if you haven't had that test done. I wish I would have done it years ago.

Try taking Culturelle too. That helped me out alot It's like $20 for a month's worth.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/09/2013 6:26 am

So you have ibs too? I've just had an allergy test done at my doctors so hopefully i'll find out that way. Are you still on accutane? How's it going?

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 01/09/2013 7:03 pm

So you have ibs too? I've just had an allergy test done at my doctors so hopefully i'll find out that way. Are you still on accutane? How's it going?

I was diagnosed with it yes, but I feel like people are diagnosed with "IBS" whenever an MD is not able to find a more serious cause for your symptoms. After I stopped eating the foods I am allergic to I, for the most part, stopped experiencing IBS symptoms. Make sure your MD uses the test that tests for around 100 foods. Most MD's use the standard 10 food test. For example, I am severely allergic to oats and that would not be on the standard allergy test.

I am still on accutane and have not had any IBS symptoms while taking the drug. If anything I'm having trouble going the bathroom (the complete opposite of what my problem used to be). I'm 100 days in. Just make sure you are taking it with meals so it is not too harsh on your stomach. Good luck!