Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Not Progressing!

MemberMember
(@anonymous0909)

Posted : 01/04/2013 2:08 am

Hi!I started 100 mg of spiro about two months ago and I have seen no improvements in my acne! :( the only thing that changed immediately was that all my oil is GONE!like..it stopped the next day!But I am breaking out worse on my cheeks with clogged pores that eventually turn to pustules...yuck!I have zits on my forehead and mainly my cheeks.

I also had a few dark stray dark hair on my chin that are now Gone!!!They haven't grown back since the last time I plucked them!

I don't know if spiro is for me cuz my acne is not presentably hormonal..as in nothing on the chin and stuff.

Please guide if I should increase my dosage or If I am being paranoid too soon.The last week has been the worst with big pimples that I so hate and I refused to step out!!My zits are not Cysts, never were!Just the angry red inflamed ones!Any help will be much appreciated!!Thanks..and when do I expcet recovery and how do I know that spiro is not the drug for me..which I so pray for! :( thanks

so now I have 6-7 clogged pores ready to turn into pustules and 4 acytive pustules...gross!!The most ever on my face!!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/04/2013 10:05 am

Hey there. I'm not on Spiro currently but thought I'd share what my endo said. He said Spiro takes 6-9 months to kick in and most people give up before this. It's a real committment. However, I know many here have seen results as early as a few months. So I would say you've made it 2 months and hang in there if you can. Do you think it's making your acne worse? As far as whether your acne is hormonal...I believe that all acne is hormonal. Androgens, whether in the blood or skin, are responsible for your sebacous glands producing oil. However, if you have low levels of testosterone in your blood I'm not sure whether Spiro would work or not - that's what I'm currently trying to figure out!

MemberMember
(@mommabear)

Posted : 01/04/2013 11:37 am

Hi!I started 100 mg of spiro about two months ago and I have seen no improvements in my acne! :( the only thing that changed immediately was that all my oil is GONE!like..it stopped the next day!But I am breaking out worse on my cheeks with clogged pores that eventually turn to pustules...yuck!I have zits on my forehead and mainly my cheeks.

I also had a few dark stray dark hair on my chin that are now Gone!!!They haven't grown back since the last time I plucked them!

I don't know if spiro is for me cuz my acne is not presentably hormonal..as in nothing on the chin and stuff.

Please guide if I should increase my dosage or If I am being paranoid too soon.The last week has been the worst with big pimples that I so hate and I refused to step out!!My zits are not Cysts, never were!Just the angry red inflamed ones!Any help will be much appreciated!!Thanks..and when do I expcet recovery and how do I know that spiro is not the drug for me..which I so pray for! :( thanks

so now I have 6-7 clogged pores ready to turn into pustules and 4 acytive pustules...gross!!The most ever on my face!!

Hang in there! It sounds like its working because your skin is less oily and it's purging all your old gunk out. I highly recommend going to a esthetician and get a salicylic peel/microdermabrasion treatment to clear out all your congestion, it did wonders for my daughter. She is also on her 2nd month of spiro (100 mg) and it has been a miracle! I would say her skin is 75% better. Do you know exactly how many weeks you have been taking spiro? It seems like it takes 8 (horrible) weeks until you say "hey I think this is really working"!!

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

MemberMember
(@anonymous0909)

Posted : 01/06/2013 5:00 am

Hey!Thanks for the answers,,,I don't know about it getting worse...but I guess it has given rise to a large number of yucky whitehead pustules.I am worried of this drug is for me.I have been taking it for more than 8 weeks for sure, started on the 7th november.

Hope I find my cure this time around...sigh :(

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/07/2013 5:44 am

I am exactly in the same shoes!!!! Started 9 days after you.

I am also getting nasty whiteheads surfacing, but I hope it is all part of the clearing process!

Right now I'm getting on an antibiotic, maybe that would help you too to stick it out :)

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/07/2013 11:46 am

MommaBear is right, I have been on the spiro for almost 4 weeks, and all my cystic acne is basically gone. The Saliclyic acid peels are keeping topical acne at bay and helping everything to dry up and go away faster. It takes t least 3 months for the zit to go through its total cycle, so continue what you are doing, and look into light chemical peels to help expedite the active acne process. Once that's clear you can look into deeper peels for any scarring or hyperpigmentation.

As far as you know, you don't have any deep cystic acne BECAUSE the Spiro is working. I'm just working on the final stages of healing, and reducing PIH. Keep going, be patient!! We are all in this with you

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/07/2013 1:05 pm

Well I still get some cysts... but those are whiteheads that were there before and when they flare up, they become cystic... Spiro doesn't affect that, does it?

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/07/2013 2:32 pm

Yes. Spiro works on the deep acne that cannot be reached by topicals. They help prevent them from forming. The exception to that is, if you are squeezing a surface zit, the bacteria gets pushed deeper into the skin causing a deeper infection like a cyst. Sometimes, the only cure for those are oral antibiotics. It depends on how they start. True cystic acne begins as a deep cyst, and hardly ever comes to the surface. Spiro is ideal for this type.

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/07/2013 4:34 pm

Can I have a question?

Don't know how relevant...

When we get whiteheads/clogged pores, are those or a result of excess oil or bad skin shedding, or BOTH?

I mean, if Spiro gets rid of the oil, are they still able to form? Or are the dead skin cells enough to create bumps?

I, for one have quite dry skin after Accutane and still getting inflamed clogged pores (somehow every single clogged pore gets inflamed in time). So will Spiro deal with that also?

Hope that's not only interesting for me ^^

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:38 pm

Can I have a question?

Don't know how relevant...

When we get whiteheads/clogged pores, are those or a result of excess oil or bad skin shedding, or BOTH?

I mean, if Spiro gets rid of the oil, are they still able to form? Or are the dead skin cells enough to create bumps?

I, for one have quite dry skin after Accutane and still getting inflamed clogged pores (somehow every single clogged pore gets inflamed in time). So will Spiro deal with that also?

Hope that's not only interesting for me ^^

Multiple things we're dealing with here

1) Excess oil from hormone issues - spiro usually takes care of this

2) Excess inflammation from hormone issues - spiro also usually takes care of this

3) Many people with acne have, in addition to excess oil, abnormal keratin production and abnormal skin shedding. It depends on which scientist you ask, some say acne patients don't shed enough skin, others say we shed too much skin. Fortunately exfoliation helps both. Even if spiro stops your cysts, you will probably need to have a good exfoliation regimen for the rest of your life to keep clogged pores at bay.

4) Impacted pores. Pores are not very resilient. If you've had an acne/oil problem for a while, you've pretty much killed an individual pore's ability to stay clean. You will find that these impacted pores clog up again and again. Exfoliation will manage it, but the only real "cure" is Accutane (which actually shrinks pores) or certain types of laser treatment which resurface the pore.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/07/2013 9:19 pm

I also get both. The clogged pore/whiteheads are usually from wrong ingredients or not taking care if my skin which worsens topical acne. Spiro does help by making my face more resilient to external factors, while helping the internal factors. It's part of a skin regimen, not the whole ball if wax!

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/08/2013 1:55 am

Actually, I wouldn't mind them too much if they wouldn't ALL flare up over time.

So when people say they get 100% clear on Spiro, they only mean deep/cystic stuff?

And if Spiro reduces the inflammation (or hormones that cause it), does it mean they'd still form and NOT get inflamed?

I've been on Accutane twice and still get some of them, extremely annoying. However I notice that for a long while after Accutane they wouldn't flare up, just sit in my skin.

I can have a facial and have them popped out, but then they end up looking even worse than normally.

Does salicylic acid prevent them or make existing one dissolve?

I have AHA 10%, is that also working?

Thank you

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:21 am

Spiro helps prevent whatever is caused by excess oil and hormones. SA peels are excellent for active acne, helping it dry up and die faster. Glycolic and lactic acid peels are not good for active acne, but help reduce scarring and pigmentation after acne is resolved. The SA peels also help prevent new ones by exfoliating excess skin and sebum and reducing oil production, OVER TIME. It takes a couple to start seeing overall results, but I notice when I use 20% SA, active pimples dry up within 48 hours and are gone within 4 days.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:37 am

Actually, I wouldn't mind them too much if they wouldn't ALL flare up over time.

So when people say they get 100% clear on Spiro, they only mean deep/cystic stuff?

And if Spiro reduces the inflammation (or hormones that cause it), does it mean they'd still form and NOT get inflamed?

I've been on Accutane twice and still get some of them, extremely annoying. However I notice that for a long while after Accutane they wouldn't flare up, just sit in my skin.

I can have a facial and have them popped out, but then they end up looking even worse than normally.

Thank you

Sure, I no longer get cysts but still get a little (non-inflamed) clogged pore now and then. Spiro for me means no bumps. It also brings down the number of clogged pores because the oil goes down. But it doesn't prevent them 100%.

I get by with regular exfoliation (Clarisonic brush) and 5% BHA.

BHA/Salicylic dissolves existing ones.

MemberMember
(@redredred)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:38 am

Spiro is known to take ~3-9 months to kick in. You've probably heard that. My skin hasn't improved either (its been a bit over a month), but I'm also pairing it with Tretinoin gel which is known for its horrible initial breakouts. I would recommend a topical regimen (anti-biotics, benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, aczone, tea tree oil, etc. etc.) that is known to successfully combat acne until you're through the initial phase. This helps me maintain patience to get through the waiting period.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/08/2013 3:56 pm

Thank you

Sure, I no longer get cysts but still get a little (non-inflamed) clogged pore now and then. Spiro for me means no bumps. It also brings down the number of clogged pores because the oil goes down. But it doesn't prevent them 100%.

Do you you apply salicyclic on the spots, or all over your face? And how frequently?

I bought 10% salicylic acid but the pharmacist warned me that it has vaseline too, that might break me out. So is there a point in spot treating with it?

She told me I needed a derm's prescription for 20%.

(Sorry about so many questions...)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:06 pm

Thank you

Do you you apply salicyclic on the spots, or all over your face? And how frequently?

I bought 10% salicylic acid but the pharmacist warned me that it has vaseline too, that might break me out. So is there a point in spot treating with it?

She told me I needed a derm's prescription for 20%.

(Sorry about so many questions...)

I don't know where you bought it, but you can get pure salicylic acid in a glycerin/water base that won't break you out.

I apply in "patches" on the areas where I get clogged pores, such as on my chin. At first I used the 10% about 4 times a week, now I only need it about twice a month. Just be careful with your skin, don't give it more than it can handle.

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:56 pm

Here in Germany I've been told there is only the vaseline one. Tried to get Diana Yvonne's but the site is unavailable. :/

If it's working, should it dissolve over night or in a few days?

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/09/2013 5:54 pm

Spiro helps prevent whatever is caused by excess oil and hormones. SA peels are excellent for active acne, helping it dry up and die faster. Glycolic and lactic acid peels are not good for active acne, but help reduce scarring and pigmentation after acne is resolved. The SA peels also help prevent new ones by exfoliating excess skin and sebum and reducing oil production, OVER TIME. It takes a couple to start seeing overall results, but I notice when I use 20% SA, active pimples dry up within 48 hours and are gone within 4 days.

Did you have an initial breakout with the 20%?

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/09/2013 7:17 pm

Nope. Flaking and peeling on day3-5 but it dries up everything. Can't wait until I get through the 3 month cycle and new ones stop coming up! Then I cn do glycolic or lactic peels and just work on the PIH!

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/10/2013 3:28 am

So you think it takes 3 months for new acne to form. Where do you get this information from?

That'd explain why most people start to see clearing at the 3 months mark.

But I'm sure some acne still forms for a few weeks after starting Spiro, don't they?

Even now on 200mg I'm not sure if the stuff that's coming out formed in a matter of days, or been there for months.

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:12 am

Oh, and just for me to get this straight: by clogged pores I mean these tiny whiteheads, halfway under the skin that cannot be squeezed out. Is it the same thing?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:15 am

Honestly, feel free to disagree with me but I don't think it takes 3 months for acne to form - at least not all acne. I have had too many times where acne popped up suddenly when I could relate it to something that just happened. For example, when I got pregnant - BOOM - cysts. They came on before I took the test even. I've also had sudden clearances when my hormones shifted. So maybe some acne takes 3 months, but i"m not sure I'm even convinced of that...

MemberMember
(@redredred)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:03 pm

I don't think she meant 3 months to pop up. I think she meant the first 3 months of spironolactone... the amount of time it takes for many people to see significant results once starting the medication? Is that right?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:02 pm

I don't think she meant 3 months to pop up. I think she meant the first 3 months of spironolactone... the amount of time it takes for many people to see significant results once starting the medication? Is that right?

Yes, the main issue is that spironolactone is mostly a prevention tactic. It creates a hormonal state where acne does not form. It doesn't do anything for your existing acne. Think of how long it takes for just one pimple to go away completely on its own and then for the red mark to fade. Since spiro isn't attacking your existing pimples, you're not going to see clear skin until your existing ones fade heal on their own and the new skin comes up.