Notifications
Clear all

Started Spiro...should I Stop The Antibiotics?!

MemberMember
(@iamraquie)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:42 pm

So my doc put me on spiro 100 mg x 1 per day about 3 weeks ago. Within 2 weeks my oily skin, and I mean OILY, had drastically improved. Now I don't have to wipe the slick off my face 3 times a day. So that's great...I'm so happy with this result. BUT, my acne is doing pretty bad. My jawline and neck are COVERED in large, red, and flaking cysts. Covered, as in too many to count. Nasty. right? Not to mention it's climbing up my cheeks and I have a few zits on my forehead as well. This sucks. Especially when my sister has flawless skin and we always go out together, side by side. I feel so self-conscious. It's hard to raise my head. To look people in their eyes and hold a decent conversation. Ughhh. Luckily I'm pretty patient and I've heard that Spiro is worth the wait, even if it's a good 6 months. So I'll wait.

Now, before I started the Spiro I had already been put on minocycline 100mg x 2 per day. It never did anything good for me really, but who knows. Maybe what seems to be horrible acne now would only be much worse without the Minocycline. I'm currently taking both prescriptions and need some opinions. Should I continue taking both until the Spiro kicks in (hopefully) and then wean myself off of the antibiotic, or should I start to wean myself of the the antibiotics NOW, early in the game? I'm just afraid that if the Spiro really does help out my severe acne, stopping the antibiotic then would screw things up.

Also, what dosage do you guys recommend I take for spiro? I'm not sure if I should wait it out on 100mg or up it to 200mg...

Any help? Just want to be free of all this mess. So sick of it. sad.png

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:47 pm

i am on 50mg of spiro now and breaking out pretty bad so i think my derm is going to up mine to 100mg soon but i was on zithromax then switched to erthromycin but none of them did anything but make me feel awful so i just stopped taking them yesterday. the plan was to have me on them for a total of 8 weeks though before stopping so its totally fine to be on them with taking spiro. i wouldnt up the dosage unless you talk to your derm and they say its ok. i started out at 25 for a week then they want me to be on the 50mg for 3 weeks before i go up to the 100mg. so stick with it and hopefully it starts to work soon. i can feel your pain though because these breakouts are terrible. i hate the cysts so bad they are destroying my life and my confidence so i just pray everyday that the spiro will start to work. good luck!!

MemberMember
(@iamraquie)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:56 pm

i am on 50mg of spiro now and breaking out pretty bad so i think my derm is going to up mine to 100mg soon but i was on zithromax then switched to erthromycin but none of them did anything but make me feel awful so i just stopped taking them yesterday. the plan was to have me on them for a total of 8 weeks though before stopping so its totally fine to be on them with taking spiro. i wouldnt up the dosage unless you talk to your derm and they say its ok. i started out at 25 for a week then they want me to be on the 50mg for 3 weeks before i go up to the 100mg. so stick with it and hopefully it starts to work soon. i can feel your pain though because these breakouts are terrible. i hate the cysts so bad they are destroying my life and my confidence so i just pray everyday that the spiro will start to work. good luck!!

Thank you so much for the quick response! I know, it's hell living through these breakouts. I just hope that someday I can have my confidence back... 🙂 That's what keeps me going. I think you're right about sticking with 100 mg to see how I respond. I want to take the lowest possible dose to keep my skin clear. As for the antibiotic, I might talk to my derm soon because, like you, I didn't notice any improvement while taking it. Maybe I should get it out of the way now.

Thanks again. I really do hope the spiro works out for you! I've heard lots of good things about it 😉

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/03/2013 9:03 pm

you are very welcome and yeah the thought of clear skin again one day is what keeps me going thats for sure. i was clear and then got dermatitis from a new cleanser i was using so once that cleared up i started to get more cysts than i ever had in my life. i cant figure out why this all started to happen now but i think somehow all my pores got clogged from not being able to exfoliate for 2 months while i had the dermatitis. it got so bad that i only could wash with water for a while - ugh! anyway yeah i was on doxy for almost 2 years and then it stopped working so my derm gave me those stronger antibiotics but i think at this point i am resistant to them which totally sucks. thanks i hope the spiro starts working soon too. tomorrow is 3 weeks so i think next week i will be able to start taking 100mg a day but i see the derm tomorrow so i am going to ask again to be sure. my skin is dryer now so thats good but my pores are just so clogged so i might get a good peel to clear this all out for now. i need to do something because i dont want to get anymore cortisone shots.