Is It A Bad Idea To...

Notifications
Clear all

Is It A Bad Idea To Get A Spa Facial?

MemberMember
(@doctorobvious)

Posted : 01/03/2013 7:08 pm

The regimen is working pretty well for me, a little slower than what's "normal" but my acne has always been stubborn anyway tongue.png However, my skin is also really dry and flaky and it looks like it's getting an odd texture, not to mention some weird orange-y tan skin tone all over my face and also PIH. Of course this is all preferable to acne for me, but I was thinking it might be beneficial for me to go and get a facial treatment at a spa. Would this interfere with the regimen at all?

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:04 pm

YES! Bad idea. You have no idea what they are putting on your skin. They tend to be kind of harsh in terms of exfoliating. The one time I got a facial I broke out pretty bad, between all the rough exfoliation and the oils they put on- and unless you're going to a holistic day spa, the products are probably full of chemicals and fragranced. Don't get me wrong, they tend to give people with "normal skin" a healthy glow...but for acne prone skin, gentle and simple is better!! Trust me :)

MemberMember
(@realme2008)

Posted : 01/05/2013 5:55 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't either. I've always been really reluctant to get facials at spas, because you just don't know everything they might be putting on your face and it can end up breaking you out in return. What's going on with the moisturizer you are using? Or are you using one?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/05/2013 6:56 pm

Yea I agree with the other users. I went to a spa for a facial to help with some moderate acne and it did not help it one bit! I ended up getting severe cystic acne that left deep scarring on my face.

Moroccan red clay powder works great for toning and so does lavender essential oil mixed in with your moisturizer. If you're looking to fade dark marks and brighten skin you can mix vitamin c powder with your moisturizer or vegetable glycerin.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/07/2013 2:01 am

The regimen helped me to get completely clear within 3-4 months, but then I got over confident and used some exfoliating pads I had in my little drawer of banned facial product goodies. Within 3 days my face was covered with 10 pimples again.

So going for a spa is a bad idea. Your skin will eventually adjust to the BP and will no longer be dry and flakey but you have to be patient. No extra products or steps is the key to success. The only thing you can try adding is AHA+. that will help with the flakiness of your skin.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/07/2013 7:41 am

Yea I agree with the other users. I went to a spa for a facial to help with some moderate acne and it did not help it one bit! I ended up getting severe cystic acne that left deep scarring on my face.

Moroccan red clay powder works great for toning and so does lavender essential oil mixed in with your moisturizer. If you're looking to fade dark marks and brighten skin you can mix vitamin c powder with your moisturizer or vegetable glycerin.

How did you get rid of your cystic acne once this had happened?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:58 am

i think a facial is a great idea. i have had them done before with extractions and my face never looked so good after i left. my skin glowed and i didnt have any breakouts afterwards. my pores were so clogged that with getting the extractions i think i avoided a lot of future acne. just make sure you go to a reputable place to get the facial done.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:19 pm

How did you get rid of your cystic acne once this had happened?

My friends mom gave me a bar of homemade african black soap. It worked pretty well but did not get rid of it completely. After that I started using the Murad acne complex and it cleared my skin up in just two weeks! It eventually stopped working though. For the past 3 1/2 years I was dealing with a small amount of cystic acne. What worked best for me was clay masks and essential oils. I use tea tree oil and lavender oil. The clay masks I think are the best are calcium bentonite clay, moroccan red clay and French green clay. You can get all those clays in powder form and are very affordable.

I just bought a jessners peel from MUAC not too long ago and it works great on cystic acne. It's not that harsh of a peel. If you want a good peel to start out with just mix vitamin c powder with glycerin( both can be found at a pharmacy) which helps remove the dead skin so your masks and oils can penetrate better. I've also did some derma rolling with a 0.5mm roller.

That's kinda a lot haha :) I had to go through so much trial and error to find what works the best.

So here is a list of what I feel works the best!

Vitamin c and glycerin serum

Tea tree oil and lavender essential oil

Bentonite clay mask and moroccan clay masks

Oh and the face wash I use is a plant based bar soap. It's desert essence tea tree oil bar soap and I think it had jojoba oil in it too. I use cerave lotion with one drop if lavender oil in it. I just mix the two in the palm of my hand.

My face is looking good now! :D I'm really pleased with how well the masks and oils have worked for me.

MemberMember
(@doctorobvious)

Posted : 02/01/2013 4:47 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :) seems that the general consensus is not to get the facial, but someone did say it worked well for them so maybe once I'm 100% clear for a while I'll try it out and see if I get a breakout then.

Yeah, I wouldn't either. I've always been really reluctant to get facials at spas, because you just don't know everything they might be putting on your face and it can end up breaking you out in return. What's going on with the moisturizer you are using? Or are you using one?