Notifications
Clear all

Completely Frusterated

MemberMember
(@xnavehx)

Posted : 01/03/2013 3:15 am

Hello, I have been an acne sufferer since I can't even remember when but around the start of high school. I am currently 22. In high school my acne was BAD. It covered my face in pustules and red inflamed bumps, and black heads. It covered my chest, back, shoulders, face, neck, and random pimple pretty much everywhere else. My skin has cleared up a lot since then and I feel like my face is clear compared to what it used to be, but still, its not very pretty and I want to actually know what it feels like to have clear skin again. )=

I am so frustrated at this point as I feel like I've tried everything in the past from over the counter meds, dermatologist visits, prescriptions, natural remedies, changing my diet, etc etc, and nothing ever really helped. Currently I have been using a oatmeal soap to wash my face about twice a day, and occasionally rub green tea onto it. I don't really know if this has really helped, but it at least seems to have kept it at bay and not gotten any worse. I am so afraid of trying new things (particular medicines and other harsh things) as I don't want it to get worse again. But It is just not getting better!!

It gets particularly bad around my jaw, and painful sometimes. I know I have a problem with leaning my face against my hands and I feel like this probably is what makes it worse in that area. But still, my back is gets acne and I know I don't really touch that.

I just hate my skin. ._. attached is some photos of my current skin..

If anyone has any insight into my acne in particular and and suggestions, please, help.

I am so sick of my face being in pain.

post-194100-0-59867900-1357200822_thumb.

post-194100-0-03488000-1357200824_thumb.

post-194100-0-52040400-1357200826_thumb.

post-194100-0-59867900-1357200822_thumb.

post-194100-0-03488000-1357200824_thumb.

post-194100-0-52040400-1357200826_thumb.

MemberMember
(@drumatic)

Posted : 01/03/2013 1:48 pm

Looks like hormonal problems as I see acne around jawline and lower cheeks. Have you tried stuff that balances your hormones? I seen many females had successful results from it.

MemberMember
(@xnavehx)

Posted : 01/03/2013 1:58 pm

I've been taking birth control for years now, I originally thought it would help, but didn't do anything significant. ):

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/08/2013 1:06 pm

I've been taking birth control for years now, I originally thought it would help, but didn't do anything significant. ):

Which birth control? Every brand of birth control contains a completely different mix of hormones.

MemberMember
(@xnavehx)

Posted : 01/11/2013 10:11 am

It is called Enpresse. I don't really know much about the differences in birth controls.

How is it that one can differentiate acne... Like how do I really know if mine is hormonal or not?

I feel like I haven't noticed my acne changing or getting worse around my period or anything like that, like some people do.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:33 pm

It doesn't have to fluctuate. No sure way to know. not sure why everyone is intent on testing for it. Do derms test you before they put you on creams or antibiotics? No they just give you a prescription and see if it works. For many women hormones are the first culprit.

Enpresse contains levonorgestrel which is HIGHLY androgenic meaning it causes acne. I would switch birth controls immediately.

MemberMember
(@xnavehx)

Posted : 01/11/2013 9:45 pm

Darn, I really wish I knew this sooner. ._.

I've been on enpresse for so long and I feel like its been working well for me over all without other bad symptoms, I'd hate to get on something else and mess that up.

I'll have to talk to my doctor I guess. You seem to know a lot about this kind of thing. I just find it weird because I've had this acne like this before I got on birthcontrol, it was even worse, so I never would have thought the birth control would be the cause of the acne.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/12/2013 12:13 am

Darn, I really wish I knew this sooner. ._.

I've been on enpresse for so long and I feel like its been working well for me over all without other bad symptoms, I'd hate to get on something else and mess that up.

I'll have to talk to my doctor I guess. You seem to know a lot about this kind of thing. I just find it weird because I've had this acne like this before I got on birthcontrol, it was even worse, so I never would have thought the birth control would be the cause of the acne.

Because all birth control contain estrogen, they can help because (usually) better estrogen levels equals less acne. But yes, you are basically splashing water on the fire with the estrogen, then pouring gasoline on it with the levogestrel progestin. So it's a losing battle.

Here are the types of progestin. I also included some birth controls they are used in. I didn't show every possible brand, but this will give you some ideas. You can find out what type of progestin is in a pill by googling it.

For acne you want a pill that is LOW in androgenic activity. There are other factors but that is the first place to start.

Drospirenone. Low androgenic. Used in Yaz and BeYaz.

Norgestimate. Low androgenic. Used in Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Cyproterone. Low androgenic. Used in Diane-35. (UK and Canada only)

Cyproterone acetate. Low androgenic. Used in Dianette. (UK and Canada only)

Ethynodiol diacetate. Medium androgenic. Used in Zovia.

Desogestrel. Medium androgenic. Used in Mircette.

Norethindrone acetate. Medium androgenic. Used in Estrostep and Ortho Novum.

Levonorgestrel. High androgenic. Used in Enpresse, Plan B, Mirena IUD.

Norgestrel. High androgenic. Used in Ovrette.

Be aware that most (if not all) implant types of birth control or the shot birth controls make acne worse. The only exception is the COPPER Paraguard IUD which does not use hormones.