Notifications
Clear all

What To Expect?

MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 01/02/2013 7:39 pm

Well, I'm going to cave and try and see a dermatologist. We have one right across from my high school, and I'm fairly certain my health insurance covers it as that's where I go to see my regular doctor.

I've never really been to a dermatologist before, so I was curious what those of you who have experienced. I imagine discussing my acne, then I have to dreadfully let him look at my skin, and then what? Do we discuss treatments or does he just prescribe something to me without my input?

Also, do you think it would be possible to set an appointment up by myself, or will I need my dad there with me? I'm 16, and I remember my guidance counsellor telling me that at this age I can set a doctor appointment up by myself. Is a dermatologist the same as a doctor?

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks guys! :P

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/02/2013 11:15 pm

Hello,

I live in England but I'm sure the process is the same sort of thing.

You can make the appointment yourself if you want, or you can get your dad to do it, i'm 16 myself and being the lazy pearson I am, I got my parents to make an appointment for me over the phone, why don't you just pop into the place and ask if you can make an appointment?

When I first went to the docs to try a different round, as well as using the regimen here on acne.org, he prescribed me a course of antibiotics, I went through a lot of different stuff, and only one really worked, oxytetricyclin (excuse my spelling, spell checker isnt working!) he basically just tried me on different pills, he offered I try an antibacterial 5% strength BP cream, which I immedinatly said no to, always remember you don;t have to do what he/she says if you don;t want too.

Going to the docs should be easy and hassle free, give it a go and see what he/she offers!

(Make sure you try antibiotics first, I don't like the topical stuff they offer)

All the best!

ThinMints liked
MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 01/03/2013 12:54 am

Hello,

You can make the appointment yourself if you want, or you can get your dad to do it, i'm 16 myself and being the lazy pearson I am, I got my parents to make an appointment for me over the phone, why don't you just pop into the place and ask if you can make an appointment?

When I first went to the docs to try a different round, as well as using the regimen here on acne.org, he prescribed me a course of antibiotics, I went through a lot of different stuff, and only one really worked, oxytetricyclin (excuse my spelling, spell checker isnt working!) he basically just tried me on different pills, he offered I try an antibacterial 5% strength BP cream, which I immedinatly said no to, always remember you don;t have to do what he/she says if you don;t want too.

Going to the docs should be easy and hassle free, give it a go and see what he/she offers!

(Make sure you try antibiotics first, I don't like the topical stuff they offer)

All the best!

Thanks so much for the input Kyle!

Okay, that's probably my best bet. :) I think I'll swing over to the doctor tomorrow and ask to set up an appointment. Acne gets to a point where if nothing is working, it's best to take it to a professional. The fact that I - and you - are still adolescences is probably a huge factor in our acne.

You think just like me, actually. I'm very... iffy about topicals, and the fact that I've tried many different BP treatments and know what BP does to my skin (extreme drying basically everywhere; flakes and acne is not a nice combination) I'd most likely refuse any topical creams the dermatologist would suggest.

In fact, it's sort of a relief to know that you can turn down certain treatments dermatologists want you to try.

Antibiotics would be ideal, because I've read up a lot about them and the overall outcome seems nice. Of course, there are many different kinds, and like you, I might have to go through multiple antibiotics before I find one that helps.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it! :)

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/03/2013 3:28 pm

Hello,

All the best!

Thanks so much for the input Kyle!

Okay, that's probably my best bet. smile.png I think I'll swing over to the doctor tomorrow and ask to set up an appointment. Acne gets to a point where if nothing is working, it's best to take it to a professional. The fact that I - and you - are still adolescences is probably a huge factor in our acne.

You think just like me, actually. I'm very... iffy about topicals, and the fact that I've tried many different BP treatments and know what BP does to my skin (extreme drying basically everywhere; flakes and acne is not a nice combination) I'd most likely refuse any topical creams the dermatologist would suggest.

In fact, it's sort of a relief to know that you can turn down certain treatments dermatologists want you to try.

Antibiotics would be ideal, because I've read up a lot about them and the overall outcome seems nice. Of course, there are many different kinds, and like you, I might have to go through multiple antibiotics before I find one that helps.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it! smile.png

It's no problem!

Also, try asking your doctor about oxytetracycline, and also erythromycin, they are my and a lot of peoples 2 most successful antibiotics, both are very good, unfortunatly I seem to be resistant to them now (especially oxytetracycline, it's well known that bacteria can develop resistance to it) however if you make sure to take them every day they have a good chance of working for you!

MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 01/03/2013 9:22 pm

It's no problem!

Also, try asking your doctor about oxytetracycline, and also erythromycin, they are my and a lot of peoples 2 most successful antibiotics, both are very good, unfortunatly I seem to be resistant to them now (especially oxytetracycline, it's well known that bacteria can develop resistance to it) however if you make sure to take them every day they have a good chance of working for you!

I'll definitely ask about those, then!

Sorry to here that Oxytetracycline is resistant for you now. :( I always feel defeated when something I find that works stops working after a few months. I wish the skin couldn't become resistant to things like that.

But, yes! It sounds awesome! I have an upcoming appointment in a week, so I'm really excited to talk to the dermatologist. I'll take the things you've said into accord and bring them up.

I really do appreciate the help a ton! :P

Kyle_ liked
MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/03/2013 9:50 pm

i recomend not going at all. antibiotics are dangerous. the dermatologist will most likely not care about you are a person. when you walk into his/her office all they see is money. cha ching. most dermatologists are payed by companies to endorse products. they would love to persrcibe you a drug that you most likely don't need. in addition, no pill or cream will cure your acne forever. once you go off it your acne will come back and it will come back worse than ever. asking my doctor and dermaotologists for help with me acne was one of the worst mistakes i ever made in my life. the only thing i think you should accept from them is retin a. do not accept any pills.

you should try alternatives. acne is a disease of insulin resistance. during puberty it is normal to become insulin resistant. i don't have time to explain it all and i'm sure you don't care and will go to your dermatologist anyway. you can not say i did not warn you though. i'm only saying this to you because i wish someone had told me that years ago. the best things i know for acne are in my signature. try them before you go to dermatologist.

and please read this: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/323689-my-heartbreaking-experience-with-minocycline/page__hl__heartbreaking

it explains how antibiotics are bad for some people.

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/04/2013 3:48 am

i recomend not going at all. antibiotics are dangerous. the dermatologist will most likely not care about you are a person. when you walk into his/her office all they see is money. cha ching. most dermatologists are payed by companies to endorse products. they would love to persrcibe you a drug that you most likely don't need. in addition, no pill or cream will cure your acne forever. once you go off it your acne will come back and it will come back worse than ever. asking my doctor and dermaotologists for help with me acne was one of the worst mistakes i ever made in my life. the only thing i think you should accept from them is retin a. do not accept any pills.

you should try alternatives. acne is a disease of insulin resistance. during puberty it is normal to become insulin resistant. i don't have time to explain it all and i'm sure you don't care and will go to your dermatologist anyway. you can not say i did not warn you though. i'm only saying this to you because i wish someone had told me that years ago. the best things i know for acne are in my signature. try them before you go to dermatologist.

and please read this: http://www.acne.org/...__heartbreaking

it explains how antibiotics are bad for some people.

Don't forget some stuff works for some people and some stuff doesn't, if an antibiotic can clear someones acne with the simple take of a pill, instead of a precise regimen every day with a lot of side effects, then I'm sure they will go for that.

I don't see how derms are only looking for money, considering I didn't go to a derm, I went to a doctor, and after quickly reading a huge dictionary of antibiotics, that's how he chose the antibiotics for me.

I don;t know if it's just like that in America, but here in England a doctor gets nothing out of prescribing me a certain antibiotic, I have the option to go to lots of different pharmacies to collect it each stocking their own brand, (It's also free for me, which I can't complain about! :P )

Also, I really dislike retin A, all that did was make my skin sore.