Notifications
Clear all

Is Chemical Peels My Best Option?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/02/2013 7:20 pm

I'm 26 male. I use to have moderate acne back when i was younger. I always got red/brown marks as a result of it. My acne cleared up and then i got happy. Now it has returned and my red/brown marks are very very bad now. I use glycolic acid and all those products and even though it works... it takes like 6 months minimum for those marks to go away.

Should i go and get a chemical peel at a dermatolgist? And if so, should i try glycolic or TCA? The thing is my red and brown marks are REALLY BAD. My acne isn't that bad. I'm really feeling sad because of these marks and my life is going no where.

Has anyone here had bad experience with glycolic acid peels? I'm really desperate right now and I feel like i wasted my time using all those over the counter products.

I dont care if it cost $1000 to fix my red and brown marks. Anyone?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/04/2013 7:46 pm

Has anyone who done a chemcial peel immediately saw improvement in their red marks? How many days does it take in general?

Anyone from the nyc area can recommend me to this is the best place to do it?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/06/2013 10:56 pm

You should try mixing vitamin c powder in with your body lotion. Vitamin c had a bleaching affect on skin and isn't as harsh as a chemical peel.

If you try this make sure your lotion is in a white bottle or white tub because light causes the vitamin c to loose its potency. Or you can wrap foil around your lotion container.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 01/07/2013 4:29 am

No offense if vitamin c powder would work ,all of us would know.

Your right even with the AHA use it still takes about 6-9 months for those marks to fade, if you are impatient like myself(im getting V-beam soon) you can get either get peels or laser.

Take care

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/07/2013 5:59 pm

Has anyone had a peel done whether its glycolic or TCA and as a result had more red marks because of it and it basically scarred? Do they do like extractions on the face when doing these peels? I remember few years ago this doctor plucked my skin and basically after that... my skin was horrible and really messed up. She basically said thats to take care of the acne from deep within the skin and i recalled my skin was horrible for like 1 year because of it.

Is there a chance a glycolic acid peel could cause something like this? I know those doctors are professionals but has any one of them done a peel on you and then you're face got scarred as result of it and had even more red marks than ever before? That is the one thing im scared of.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/08/2013 5:46 pm

Anyone??? :(

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/14/2013 9:45 pm

No offense if vitamin c powder would work ,all of us would know.

Your right even with the AHA use it still takes about 6-9 months for those marks to fade, if you are impatient like myself(im getting V-beam soon) you can get either get peels or laser.

Take care

You can't really say that and a lot of people do know about the skin bleaching affects of vitamin c. It's an acid so its going to slough off layers of skin just like any chemical peel would. It's a very mild and safe way to treat dull or uneven skin texture. I have used it before and it does work.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/14/2013 10:00 pm

Has anyone had a peel done whether its glycolic or TCA and as a result had more red marks because of it and it basically scarred? Do they do like extractions on the face when doing these peels? I remember few years ago this doctor plucked my skin and basically after that... my skin was horrible and really messed up. She basically said thats to take care of the acne from deep within the skin and i recalled my skin was horrible for like 1 year because of it.

Is there a chance a glycolic acid peel could cause something like this? I know those doctors are professionals but has any one of them done a peel on you and then you're face got scarred as result of it and had even more red marks than ever before? That is the one thing im scared of.

If you decide to get a chemical peel whether it be glycolic, lactic acid, jessners or TCA your skin should only get better not worse. If your skin reacts badly to a chemical peel you might be allergic to it or it wasn't done corectly somehow. It is possible if you have really sensitive skin for a chemical peel to be way to harsh and irritate your skin resulting in more acne.

I have had three at home jessner peels done and my skin has responded very well to them. So far I really like the jessners solution and I recomend it. It will not fix pitted scaring but it works great for hyper pigmentation. I got mine from MUAC

Just remember to have a patch test done before your peel and try the vitamin c first.

My vitamin c mask:

1 tablespoon of vitamin c powder

1 tablespoon of pure glycerin

Mix until you get a milky consistency and apply a thin layer to face for ten minutes and wash off with warm water. You can proceed with your normal skin car regimen.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/15/2013 3:07 pm

i like peels and feel they help red marks a bit but the ipl's work way better for me in that regard because they target the brown marks as well so they are way more effective and there is hardly any downtime since they are only zapping the marks not your entire face. i used to get my ipl's during my lunch break and come right back to work. i would take some aleve for the swelling and that was it. the red marks would be red for a bit then over a few days they would start to fade a lot but the brown marks will kind of scab up a bit then fall off after 3-5 days. its the easiest thing to do because you can get it done on a monday or tuesday and be fine for the weekend. i should note though that you have to get 3 passes done on each spot every single time to see major results and they should up the setting too once they know what your skin can tolerate. if you are scared about it get a test spot done and wait a week to see how your skin responds before doing the whole thing. i pay $130 for a spot treatment and that covers around 10-15 marks.

one more thing it works really good for broken caps too! i took my friend to get it done around her nose and she was so happy with the treatment that she didn't need to go back for another one.

i have had tca peels, glycolic peels and salicylic acid peels and i like them for clearing up my acne as well as improving my skin tone and shallow scarring but if you want the marks gone like in the next few months i would definitely do the ipl. they can do them 3 weeks apart and many times you will only need 2-3 sessions to get rid of them. i am fairly pale and every zit leaves a mark that is more like blood red color so if you are light skinned then this will work even better for you. good luck!