Notifications
Clear all

Has Acne Ruined Your Life And Career?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/02/2013 7:14 pm

I posted on this forum specifically because its for people with acne 25 and over. I'm turning 27 this year. I never had a job before in my life. I have graduated college with a degree but never bothered looking for a job. The reason for this is because i used to play poker as my income for a bit before things went sour. However as a result i never bothered looking for a job because i have anxiety. The main reason for this is because of my acne and i read how acne causes anxiety which is true. I remembered how back when i was in college, i missed some classes because of how bad my acne was and thus stayed inside. I been staying inside so much inside my home because i dont want to leave the house as my acne has reappeared again and made me really depressed.

I know acne has ruined a lot of ppls social lives as it did when i was in college and when my acne went away few years ago i was so relieved. I read about the young ppl who stay inside because of acne and read about ppl here who dropped out of school because of it. I felt that way as well when i was younger but i never dropped out... i basically missed many days of classes.

My acne back then was moderate and a little bit close to severe. Now my acne is back to moderate but the biggest problem for me is i always have red marks that look worst than acne. I had this problem back a few years ago as well.

I would like to know is there anyone here that is at least 25 and over that just stays at home and never look for a job or anything like that DUE TO ACNE OR RED MARKS? I know there are ppl who are just depressed etc and have stuff like social anxiety and never get a job and i read about ppl like this in forums like socialanxiety.com but I'm talking about acne just prevented you from even looking for a job.

Because i know there are tons of ppl like this that are in their early 20s etc but its not big problem because you still are young. I'm talking about ppl who are 25+ and basically just do nothing with their lives due to acne. It could also be like if you work a job but then quit because your acne got so bad you dont even want to go outside.

I'm very curious if i'm one of the few like this that are 25+.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:02 am

Well...you have to understand that not having a job is not an option for most of us. If I were able, I would definitely stay at home and yes, my acne is the primary reason for that. However, in my case it's a bit different. I am a writer, so half my income comes from working from home anyway. I also clean houses, and it's a struggle to get through work every day doing that. I've written a lot on this forum about the panic attacks I've had from seeing my acne in people's mirrors while cleaning their bathrooms. It's a struggle every day and many times I've contemplated quitting that job and working entirely from home. The reason I haven't done it yet is that cleaning is guaranteed money (whereas freelance writing is always a gamble and you have to hustle to find work) and also I feel that if I didn't have this job, it might be difficult for me to ever leave the house again. As upsetting as it is, part of me wants to be forced out, just so I can remain a somewhat functioning member of society.

I don't have much of a social life, but that's not really my acne as much. Being a writer, I have always preferred to spend a Saturday night with a cup of tea, candles and my laptop than I've wanted to go out. I'm a homebody, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy my life at home very much and I don't find it lonely or depressing. I'm sure I'll still be this way even if my skin gets better.

I'm 30, btw.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 01/03/2013 10:00 am

I don't have much of a social life, but that's not really my acne as much. Being a writer, I have always preferred to spend a Saturday night with a cup of tea, candles and my laptop than I've wanted to go out. I'm a homebody, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy my life at home very much and I don't find it lonely or depressing. I'm sure I'll still be this way even if my skin gets better.

I'm 30, btw.

I like the sound of that. haha I can relate to that for sure. smile.png I wasn't aware of that English word "homebody". In fact I once spoke to someone and I thought that the proper word for that was actually "homely" but that means that someone is plain looking. lol.gif So that was awkward. ermm.gif Anyway the Dutch word is "huiselijk" which literaly translates to homely hence my goof up.

But yeah, I think I'm a somewhat of a homebody as well...but at the same time I also have another side. Just like I see myself as an ambivert(?) which means that you can be extroverted but also introverted; you're not only one of each but both...sort of. haha Anyway, I do like to go places and go out and do things. I'm not a recluse but that's probably not a synonym for homebody. sideways.gif

But like on a Saturday night e.g. a lot of people go out to the city's center to dance or to go to bars and spend time together... A lot of those bars have such a creepy atmosphere to me. haha I'm getting a bit off-topic but I'm sure the OP doesn't mind. Anyway, the music is also too loud so many times... Honestly, people take breaks from being inside as they know that if they stay too long they'll damage their ears. It's like just turn the music down already! eusa_doh.gif I sound like an old man. sideways.gif Anyway, I do go to certain places in the city where people are civil, they don't get wasted, the music isn't too loud neutral.gif and the houserules are followed where no one's irritating. smile.png

Oh and since people are posting their age... I'm 32. haha

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 01/03/2013 10:50 am

I posted on this forum specifically because its for people with acne 25 and over. I'm turning 27 this year. I never had a job before in my life. I have graduated college with a degree but never bothered looking for a job. The reason for this is because i used to play poker as my income for a bit before things went sour. However as a result i never bothered looking for a job because i have anxiety. The main reason for this is because of my acne and i read how acne causes anxiety which is true. I remembered how back when i was in college, i missed some classes because of how bad my acne was and thus stayed inside. I been staying inside so much inside my home because i dont want to leave the house as my acne has reappeared again and made me really depressed.

I know acne has ruined a lot of ppls social lives as it did when i was in college and when my acne went away few years ago i was so relieved. I read about the young ppl who stay inside because of acne and read about ppl here who dropped out of school because of it. I felt that way as well when i was younger but i never dropped out... i basically missed many days of classes.

My acne back then was moderate and a little bit close to severe. Now my acne is back to moderate but the biggest problem for me is i always have red marks that look worst than acne. I had this problem back a few years ago as well.

I would like to know is there anyone here that is at least 25 and over that just stays at home and never look for a job or anything like that DUE TO ACNE OR RED MARKS? I know there are ppl who are just depressed etc and have stuff like social anxiety and never get a job and i read about ppl like this in forums like socialanxiety.com but I'm talking about acne just prevented you from even looking for a job.

Because i know there are tons of ppl like this that are in their early 20s etc but its not big problem because you still are young. I'm talking about ppl who are 25+ and basically just do nothing with their lives due to acne. It could also be like if you work a job but then quit because your acne got so bad you dont even want to go outside.

I'm very curious if i'm one of the few like this that are 25+.

My previous post in this thread wasn't really a direct anwer to your question but it's just that I thought deja's post was so interesting. haha Anyway, here's a direct answer then.

Like I said, I'm 32. So that's 25+ for sure. I'm super old... No, just kidding. I consider 27 and 32 to be young. So hopefully we've still got a whole life ahead of us. And it's important not to let fear dictate what that life looks like to any degree.

What you need to understand is that your acne is what it is; it's probably going to be present for years to come...so you've got to make a decision. Are you going to dwell in gloom whilst time keeps passing by? Or are you going to rid yourself of the burden that is your negativity and be as happy as you can be? Which may not be as happy as you'd like to be but hey, join the club.

Because you can have a life with acne. It all doesn't hinge on being spotless (pun intended). It all i.e. being able to go out and do the things you want to do in life. There are many, many examples of people who have full lives regardless of their physical imperfections. I could name a few but I assume you are aware of these yourself as well.

It's such a shame to let beautiful opportunities go to waste. And you know, everyone has things in their lives that they could do without. We're all in the same boat that way, having said that indeed some people have more luck than others. This all sounds somewhat like an unoriginal clich© but it's true. You need to take that step. You need to say "You know what? I just have to accept things and make the best of things". That's not to say that acne isn't in and of itself undesireable in that it's something you can do without but you can't let something like this slow your whole life down.

Here's another clich©; it's easier said than done. eusa_doh.gif I used to let my imperfection get to me as well. For years it bothered me and indeed it was something that held me back to a degree. But I did what I could to improve things and then moved on. I let it go. You should do the same. I am fortunate to be able to say that I have been able to have things improved (through laser treatments) to a point where it was easier for me to accept it but I'm sure that in many cases people who have acne (I don't have acne myself, just a scar due to an accident) see themselves as being less "attractive" than they really are; I'm sure that you will be able to make some kind of peace with things once you have realized that you are "stuck with it" which sounds kind of awful (the stuck with it part) but what I mean is that you need to realize that it is something that you have to come to terms with. There's no other way for you to be able to move past it. I suppose everyone needs to find their own path to acceptance but it's important that you find yours. You can't let life slip through your fingers when there's no need...

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 01/03/2013 6:49 pm

I'll post more later when I get more time, or i'll even send you a PM.

Anyhow.. lots of similarities here. I am also turning 27 this year. I also graduated college recently. And I also used to play poker for income, for a few years before things went sour (us govt fuked us). I used to play on full tilt and pokerstars regularly, and I have two close friends to left the states just so they could continue playing, and well they are still making some decent money.

Anyhow.. I have also dealt with social anxiety most of my life. This was not caused by acne, only heightened by it.

And last year I isolated myself from all my friends and contacts for several months, mainly due to acne. At one point I was losing my mind and forced myself to get the first job I could, even when my acne was at its worst. I have to say now, that is one of the best decisions I made b/c in the end, even though it was tough, I experienced first hand that other people didn't give a shit.

MemberMember
(@cass16)

Posted : 01/05/2013 1:23 am

I feel you..

I'm not 25+ but I just wanna share what I've been going through.

I'm 23 years old, fresh graduate and I just recently passed licensure exam..Licensed professional with a bright future ahead..YAY! but guess what? I can't faced this bright future with enthusiasm. I am currently hiding at home due to my severe cystic acne. This is really difficult, my friends been asking me go out and have fun, but I always decline with pathetic excuse that I'm busy when the truth is I'm already bored to death. I don't wanna go out when the sun is up, I don't want to be in a room with bright lights. I feel so down, I've already received interview request but I decline cause I feel like all the interviews would see these disgusting acne on my face. I know I can't hide forever, I have too find a job and make money at some point in time. It's just really painful physically and psychologically. Before I sleep at night, I keep wishing that tomorrow would be a better day, but then I'd wake up and things are worse. I hate looking at mirrors, I always feel dirty when I look at my face.

I currently starting week2 on Isotretinoin (or commonly known as accutane), MY LAST RAY OF HOPE. I know this is probably the initial breakout phase but its really taking its toll on me. I've been suffering acne since I was 14, finished my first course at 15 and been clear till 17(Isotretinoin is good, people have been commenting on how nice and glowing my skin is during that time). But unfortunately since 18 I've started breaking out again and they hit the worst lately, lots of bumps, oil, pus..it's disgusting. I'm tired of feeling insecure when supposedly during those years I'm supposed to have the time of my life. I'm tired of not being able to look people in the eye, hiding my face behind my long hair, hiding from cameras. I'm not a make up girl, I don't like having concealer and thick foundation on so it's difficult for me to cover this up.

I just wanna live again, I wanna go out, apply for jobs and do interviews confidently. I'm really afraid, if I got a job in this state and then force to face a new environment, workplace and a lot of people, they'd just see me as this acne faced insecure girl. My doctor said it would take about 3 to 4 months before I see the full effect of Isotrenoin, i just have to bear this acne flare and hope it will die down soon. I'm currently off to take cortisone shot, this shots work like magic, few hours they stop aching. after 24 hours it dries pimples especially cystic acnes fast (mind you it just dries them but doesn't really prevent them from coming back). I just had a shot last week 1st day on Isotretinoin, dried them up but this past few days the came back with vengeance.(initial breakout from Isotretinoin)

I hope we all recover from this, people don't really understand the effects of acne unless your suffering from them. this is my first time to post on this board, I've been reading a lot of post lately and it become some sort of motivation so I decided too join, to interact too people who suffers as well and treat it like a support group. I'm just tired, this feels like a curse. I wanna get rid of my acne and feel a brand new me.