Moisturizer Recomme...

Notifications
Clear all

Moisturizer Recommendation? Dry Skin, Fine Lines, And Acne

MemberMember
(@sam1129)

Posted : 01/02/2013 2:58 pm

I'm 27 and after two rounds of Accutane my cystic acne is finally gone (yay!) but I've been left with terribly dry skin, and am starting to notice fine lines cropping up on my forehead and around my mouth. I'm still left with some acne that is kept at bay with regular use of Clearasil gel and/or Persagel (salycilic acid or benzoyl peroxide) and am wondering if anyone can recommend an acne-fighting moisturizer that also has strong moisturizing power--I would love to stop layering products on my face!

I've tried anti-aging retinoid moisturizers that I hoped would help with acne, fine lines and general blah-ness, but all the ones I've tried--most recently Neutrogena and Vichy--have broken me out. I'd be willing to splurge on a great product, but reviews of "fancier" acne moistizurizers like Clinique, Boscia, or Vichy Normaderm tend to say that they're not very moisturizing.

I currently use Garnier very dry moisturizing gel during the day and Cetaphil moisturizer at night, along with the aforementioned OTC acne creams. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/04/2013 7:35 pm

You're not going to find an anti-acne moisturizer that is as moisturizing as a non-acne moisturizer. Every OTC anti-acne ingredients dries your skin: benzoyl peroxide, AHA, BHA/salicylic, sulfur...

For the record, however, sulfur is one of the least irritating and is often used in adult acne because adults usually have drier skin to begin with.

Look into getting a prescription antibiotic cream. A topical antibiotic is the only thing that can fight acne without drying your skin.

MemberMember
(@sam1129)

Posted : 01/08/2013 8:14 am

Thanks so much! Have you had any luck with the Olay Pro-X line, or any other product with sulphur?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:39 am

Thanks so much! Have you had any luck with the Olay Pro-X line, or any other product with sulphur?

I have a Clarisonic brush, which is good for clogged pores.

De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment or the 6% sulfur Refining Mask from ProActive are good.