Notifications
Clear all

Going Vegetarian Cured My Acne?

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 01/01/2013 7:24 pm

I have been plagued by acne since I was 13. After many unhappy years, I found Dan & Benzoyl Peroxide when I was roughly 20.

Its 7 years on, and I recently decided to become vegetarian. I noticed an improvement in my skin, and tried stopping putting on benzoyl peroxide any more. I don't seem to get spots on my face any more, but still on my body.

Thoughts? Do you think turning vegetarian stopped me from getting spots on my face? Or do you think this is a natural plateau, as I am now 27 and out of the usual age range who get acne? My current guess is its a bit of both.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/01/2013 8:15 pm

I would guess that it would be a bit of both! One of my friends swears by the fact pork gives him acne, which makes sense, because one of the only actual diet related acne facts thats medicaly proven is iodides (high salt) and acne. I suppose by cutting out these things, and just generally incorperating more vitamin rich foods like veggies that they both worked in helping your overall complexon.

Good luck with your diet! (:

MemberMember
(@gman89)

Posted : 01/01/2013 8:28 pm

I've read that people have been sensitive to red meat (beef and especially pork) but were fine with chicken (no skin) and fish. I'm going to try reduce red meat and replace it with fish to see what happens.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/02/2013 12:28 am

Vegetarian diet is easy to digest and also anti-inflammatory possible reason for not getting acne. But make sure to have adequate zinc/B vitamins, might help to get rid of acne completely.

MemberMember
(@modman)

Posted : 01/02/2013 5:12 pm

Thanks Binga

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 01/03/2013 6:31 pm

I would guess that it would be a bit of both! One of my friends swears by the fact pork gives him acne, which makes sense, because one of the only actual diet related acne facts thats medicaly proven is iodides (high salt) and acne. I suppose by cutting out these things, and just generally incorperating more vitamin rich foods like veggies that they both worked in helping your overall complexon.

Six months ago I began eating a diet extremely heavy in pork and pork fat (lard). I also have been supplementing oral iodine on and off for the past year or so. I never had any unusual flareups of acne, and in fact, my acne is completely gone now.

Iodine "proven" to cause acne? Just another case of the general population believing and mindlessly repeating anything authority figures tell them.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/03/2013 6:57 pm

Six months ago I began eating a diet extremely heavy in pork and pork fat (lard). I also have been supplementing oral iodine on and off for the past year or so. I never had any unusual flareups of acne, and in fact, my acne is completely gone now.

Iodine "proven" to cause acne? Just another case of the general population believing and mindlessly repeating anything authority figures tell them.

That seems like a rather unusal diet! aha. I was just going by what a study, and my friend experienced. I suppose a lot of the studies on diet and acne get mixed results.. just trying to tell him what i heard! ;p

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 01/03/2013 7:03 pm

That seems like a rather unusal diet! aha. I was just going by what a study, and my friend experienced. I suppose a lot of the studies on diet and acne get mixed results.. just trying to tell him what i heard! ;p

I've been experimenting with an Inuit-style diet of high fat, high proteins, low carbohydrates. And yes, a lot of pointless arguments on the internet are started over "studies". The best advice is just to try everything and see what works for you. There is no best treatment or single cause.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:02 pm

Yeah- it's unlikely that becoming vegetarian helped your acne unless you were eating some bad quality meats, or you are sensitive to meats (rarely, people are). Vegetarianism is actually a poor choice for anti-acne...but I have definitely heard it has worked for a quite a few!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/03/2013 8:34 pm

iodine is in fish. a study showed people who ate more fish had less acne. and many other things have been proven to cause acne. the best diet for acne is an antiinsulin diet or diabetic diet. or a paleo diet. eliminate processed foods and white grains.

could not have said this better myself honestly.