26 Years Old, Still...

Notifications
Clear all

26 Years Old, Still Break Out, And Super Sensitive Skin

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/01/2013 2:42 pm

I don't know what to do anymore sad.png

I've been breaking out since I was probably about 11, PMS time is always the worst. I get it on my face, my neck, shoulders, chest, back... You can see my pores and see them clogged.

I feel like I have tried everything. The only thing that worked really well for me was Neutrogena's Pore Refining Cleanser and Toner, which they have stopped making

My skin is really sensitive, so I currently don't use anything on my face except witch hazel. I think it helps, but it doesn't help as much as I need it to. I also am on birth control and I don't see much of a difference on it. I'm allergic to fragrance (so most soaps, lotions, deodorants, detergents, etc). I attempted Neutrogena's Organics cleanser, and as soon as it starts working, all the sudden I get worse break outs. My face is also oily, but depending on how much product I use, it dries out quickly.

I work in a vitamin store though and we sell Dr. Bronners Castile soap, and John Masters Organics (I actually just got some samples but I'm afraid to use it), Indian Healing Clay, Tea Tree Oil, African Black Soap, Turmeric, Neem, etc.

What do you think is the best to try for really sensitive skin? I'm so sick of this and I don't know what to do anymore sad.png

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/04/2013 7:43 pm

Since you already notice your acne is worse at different times in your menstrual cycle, you're best off treating it hormonally.

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/05/2013 11:14 pm

Well I currently take birth control pills, and it's definitely better than when I'm not taking them, but I still get break outs on my face/neck/back/chest.

I'm going to get my estrogen levels checked this week, maybe there's something else I can take with the bc pills?

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:43 am

Birth control is a synthetic hormone. Basically- pick one- birth control or better skin. It's flawed logic to try to fix something that is really going on inside with an outside remedy, so I wouldn't try to fix the damage bc can do. It's harder to reverse the longer you're on it.

MemberMember
(@gq101)

Posted : 01/06/2013 3:03 am

Well I currently take birth control pills, and it's definitely better than when I'm not taking them, but I still get break outs on my face/neck/back/chest.

I'm going to get my estrogen levels checked this week, maybe there's something else I can take with the bc pills?

you can try taking a zinc supplement. its non prescription, affordable, and pretty much available at walgreens, cvs, or similar drugstores. :) I got mine for about $5. hope this helps. :)

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/06/2013 9:29 am

Birth control is a synthetic hormone. Basically- pick one- birth control or better skin. It's flawed logic to try to fix something that is really going on inside with an outside remedy, so I wouldn't try to fix the damage bc can do. It's harder to reverse the longer you're on it.

Well this is my problem though, I was put on bc pills because I supposedly have low estrogen levels and because of that my cycle is all messed up... Going to give TMI lol sorry... but i spot for 2-3 weeks after my period. So they really put me on them to regulate me more so than helping my skin. That was kinda just a bonus. If I stop taking them, my cycle goes crazy again and I break out even more than when I take them.

So is there anything else I can take that would help me? a supplement? i don't mind going off bc pills because I don't want to be on them forever but I don't know what else would help me? Every gyno just gives me bc.

MemberMember
(@faded12)

Posted : 01/06/2013 11:05 am

Look into spironolactone if your acne is hormonal. I feel your pain girl, I am 24 and finally got on accutane because I just COULD NOT take having acne at this age anymore. Best of luck to you.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/06/2013 11:43 am

BC and Spiro are correcting hormones from the inside - although you have to stay on them forever. What BC are you on? Spiro is a good idea for sure. Also if you get your estrogen levels checked while you're on the pill it won't give you an accurate result - obviously they will be higher from the pill. Unless this is what you're trying to measure.

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/06/2013 1:31 pm

Right now I'm taking sprintec

My dr knows I'm on them though and didn't tell me to stop taking them for the bloodwork... But I'm not going just for that reason, I have little swollen glands everywhere so they're testing me for multiple things

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/06/2013 2:32 pm

I've been breaking out since I was probably about 11, PMS time is always the worst. I get it on my face, my neck, shoulders, chest, back... You can see my pores and see them clogged.

I feel like I have tried everything. The only thing that worked really well for me was Neutrogena's Pore Refining Cleanser and Toner, which they have stopped making

My skin is really sensitive, so I currently don't use anything on my face except witch hazel. I think it helps, but it doesn't help as much as I need it to. I also am on birth control and I don't see much of a difference on it. I'm allergic to fragrance (so most soaps, lotions, deodorants, detergents, etc). I attempted Neutrogena's Organics cleanser, and as soon as it starts working, all the sudden I get worse break outs. My face is also oily, but depending on how much product I use, it dries out quickly.

I work in a vitamin store though and we sell Dr. Bronners Castile soap, and John Masters Organics (I actually just got some samples but I'm afraid to use it), Indian Healing Clay, Tea Tree Oil, African Black Soap, Turmeric, Neem, etc.

What do you think is the best to try for really sensitive skin? I'm so sick of this and I don't know what to do anymore sad.png

Another clay mask to try would be moroccan red clay. It tones and shrinks pores and it actually works! Lavender essential oil is great for healing too. One bar soap I think is good is desert essence tea tree soap.

In case you don't already know, real african black soap isn't black. It's brown and marbled looking. If you ever see african black soap that is black dont buy it because its kind of a waste if money. It will just dry out your skin making your skin worse.

I have extremely clogged pores and the things that help the most are moroccan red clay, lavender and tea tree oil. Love the stuff!

Like Green Gables said, you most likely have a hormonal problem and should try fixing that. Sometimes topicals aren't enough and you have to get to the root of the problem. Topicals can help you along the way though.

Some natural supplements to look into are evening primrose, l lysine (helps immune system) some people take it when they have a cold sore outbreak and it helps heal it faster. Apple cider vinegar capsules can help with your skin as well.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:17 am

BC and Spiro are correcting hormones from the inside - although you have to stay on them forever. What BC are you on? Spiro is a good idea for sure. Also if you get your estrogen levels checked while you're on the pill it won't give you an accurate result - obviously they will be higher from the pill. Unless this is what you're trying to measure.

No they aren't. Not at all. Sorry, but bc and spiro are synthetic. In fact, they can hinder our own body's production of hormones. It screws up our natural rhythm. If you look at it one way, yes, it is chemically/synthetically fixing the hormonal imbalance. But that's not fixing it at all- it's putting a bandaid on the problem instead of figuring why your levels are low to begin with. You can do this diligently and naturally!!

Well this is my problem though, I was put on bc pills because I supposedly have low estrogen levels and because of that my cycle is all messed up... Going to give TMI lol sorry... but i spot for 2-3 weeks after my period. So they really put me on them to regulate me more so than helping my skin. That was kinda just a bonus. If I stop taking them, my cycle goes crazy again and I break out even more than when I take them.

So is there anything else I can take that would help me? a supplement? i don't mind going off bc pills because I don't want to be on them forever but I don't know what else would help me? Every gyno just gives me bc.

I know it's tough to give advice here- because I was in the same boat a few years ago and opted for bc. Big mistake, so many side affects- and i fear it has done so much damage inside. But, I have balanced my hormones naturally...my own body's hormones- through specific diet, supplements and herbs. Many people have corrected imbalances and even infertility through elimination diets, Changes in lifestyle habits or sleep patterns, etc. I have a lot that I could recommend you, but you'd have to be in it 100%. And don't worry about the tmi- it helps us better understand what you are going through.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/07/2013 9:02 am

I am curious to know what you did Indigo. Did it clear you 100%? Do you know what you're underlying hormonal problem was?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/07/2013 11:59 am

Right now I'm taking sprintec

My dr knows I'm on them though and didn't tell me to stop taking them for the bloodwork... But I'm not going just for that reason, I have little swollen glands everywhere so they're testing me for multiple things

If Tri-Sprintec isn't clearing you, there are better options for birth control that helps acne. Yaz/Yasmin, Ortho-Novum, Dianette, Diane-35.

You can also stay on Tri-Sprintec and take spironolactone as well, that works for some.

I tried for many years to cure my acne naturally but it didn't work. I've had very very severe acne since puberty. Something about going through puberty seems to have permanently disrupted my hormones (I never went on birth control pills anyway, so they're not to blame.)

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:41 pm

I am curious to know what you did Indigo. Did it clear you 100%? Do you know what you're underlying hormonal problem was?

Oh God, I've done so much :P I've tried everything. I even tried natural progesterone cream which I think might have helped a bit but ended up screwing up my natural balance even more in the long run and when I told my Dr. about it she was like, "whhhattttt? That stuff is for menopausal women!"

And I'll be the first to tell you how hard this is butttt- currently I eat Paleo. That means (no unnatural meats, no preservatives, no sugar, no legumes like peanuts, no soy, no wheat or grains, even rice, no white potatoes, no sugar, no dairy). In any form. And that's good for anyone's skin, but also anyone's overall well being. It makes you superhuman as long as you eat enough fruits, veggies and lean organic meats and healthy fats to keep you going.

For supplements I take

-Green pastures cod liver oil and butter oil blend in cinnamon tingle flavor (because cinnamon also helps control blood sugar).

-A vitamin D3 supplement, because its winter and I don't get out in the sun enough

-A daily smoothie with cocoa nibs, cocoa powder (high antioxidant), coconut milk, melted coconut oil, milled flaxseeds, chia seeds, hemp powder, maca powder (specifically to balance hormones), raspberries, nutritional yeast (has a lot of minerals in it). These smoothies have lots of omega 3 content and have helped me tremendously in many areas.

-Going to be adding in something called "zinc for acne" which also has vitamin A in it, and a few other things.

-With breakfast and dinner, I take 2 stress relief (adrenal health) capsules, and 1 capsule of Vitex (to balance hormones)

-I drink a lot of anti-inflammatory teas throughout day-- but absolutely no coffee because caffeine content screws with hormones

-I exercise about 3 times a week (zumba, nothing too strenuous because this could worsen adrenal/hormonal issues)

-At night I take a probiotic before bed on empty stomach with lots of water. Gut ecology has a lot to do with hormone levels in body.

-I also use benzoyl peroxide on problem areas of my face which helps A LOT

-I still need to work at sleep, restoring circadian rhythm. Sleep has a lot to do with hormone levels. We are meant to sleep at dark and get up at dawn.

I know this seems like a lot and borderline crazy but its all very healthy regardless. I would say though, that balancing hormones from the inside out takes TIME. Many months to years. So I'm not expecting an overnight change because the body systems are interconnected and depend on eachother to balance out. However- my face is clear right now. I'm at a phase in my 'monthly cycle' though where I am usually clear, so we will see how my face changes in the next few weeks. I can tell you though, that I've noticed FOR SURE less heavy and less painful periods. It gets better every month. This last time, I only had slight cramping and a completely normal flow. And this is extremely rare for me (sorry on my behalf, tmi). This is a great sign that my hormones are regulating.

So, yeahhhh. That's my story haha. Hope it lent you some hope. I've been on BC 3 times in the past 10 years. I regret it a lot. I just want to show people how connected the body and nutrition is to acne and overall health.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/07/2013 1:24 pm

Good work! How long have you been doing paleo? I just re-started it a few days ago. I am wondering about eating fruit and sweet potatoes though because of the sugar... but I would be so much more hungry if not for these things. Yeah I bet it takes a long time, considering Spiro can take up to 9 months to work...I bet diet changes could that long or longer. Honestly, I'm not totally convinced this will solve my problems...but it definitely can't hurt. I just think we are pre-wired to over/under produce certain hormones. Or in my case, my endo thinks the enzymes that convert testosterone to DHT in my skin are overactive - so how would diet help that ya know? It's not the actual hormone...it's the enzyme. Yet when my estrogen was sky high in late pregnancy I was 100% clear and not oily at all. Hormones are beyond confusing. Do you still have oily skin? I think until the oil is gone, there will always be acne.

Also can I ask which bc pills were you on? Did they make it worse?

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/08/2013 12:24 am

Another clay mask to try would be moroccan red clay. It tones and shrinks pores and it actually works! Lavender essential oil is great for healing too. One bar soap I think is good is desert essence tea tree soap.

In case you don't already know, real african black soap isn't black. It's brown and marbled looking. If you ever see african black soap that is black dont buy it because its kind of a waste if money. It will just dry out your skin making your skin worse.

I have extremely clogged pores and the things that help the most are moroccan red clay, lavender and tea tree oil. Love the stuff!

Like Green Gables said, you most likely have a hormonal problem and should try fixing that. Sometimes topicals aren't enough and you have to get to the root of the problem. Topicals can help you along the way though.

Some natural supplements to look into are evening primrose, l lysine (helps immune system) some people take it when they have a cold sore outbreak and it helps heal it faster. Apple cider vinegar capsules can help with your skin as well.

I actually work at a vitamin store and sell all of that, i did just buy black african soap. it is black, but it has little pieces of i guess real black african soap lol theyre brownish. do you use actual tea tree oil, or the soaps? there is a desert essence tea tree face wash i was thinking of maybe getting. im just nervous because i know my skin is sensitive so i hope im not going to break out or itch or dry out from it!

I know it's tough to give advice here- because I was in the same boat a few years ago and opted for bc. Big mistake, so many side affects- and i fear it has done so much damage inside. But, I have balanced my hormones naturally...my own body's hormones- through specific diet, supplements and herbs. Many people have corrected imbalances and even infertility through elimination diets, Changes in lifestyle habits or sleep patterns, etc. I have a lot that I could recommend you, but you'd have to be in it 100%. And don't worry about the tmi- it helps us better understand what you are going through.

I've asked my gyno for something else, but she couldnt recommend me anything other than bc

i have so many problems with that area its ridiculous lol i used to have a cyst on my ovary, which was ANOTHER reason I was put on it - to shrink it. my cramps are so bad its like im being stabbed, i get sick and im pretty much out for the day. Aleve is the only thing that's helped that (i only take it the first day i get it).

I actually tried a product called Oona, that regulated my period but didn't help my acne. I went back on the pill hoping it would help. maybe ill go back to taking Oona and try to find something else to go with it, maybe I'll try the evening primrose oil. i take a probiotic now and enzymes too, maybe that'll help.

If Tri-Sprintec isn't clearing you, there are better options for birth control that helps acne. Yaz/Yasmin, Ortho-Novum, Dianette, Diane-35.

You can also stay on Tri-Sprintec and take spironolactone as well, that works for some.

I tried for many years to cure my acne naturally but it didn't work. I've had very very severe acne since puberty. Something about going through puberty seems to have permanently disrupted my hormones (I never went on birth control pills anyway, so they're not to blame.)

my sprintec i think is generic for ortho-cyclen. i used to take Yaz, that helped a lot with my skin, but i starting getting this sharp pain behind my knee and panicked because of all the talk of a blood clot.. and the pain did go away when i switched to the sprintec. so i don't really trust yaz anymore :\

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/08/2013 9:09 am

So you had a cyst on your ovary? Is it possible you have PCOS? If Yaz helped you, then I think Spiro most definitely would...especially if you have PCOS.

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/08/2013 4:03 pm

I honestly dont know, they just told me i had a cyst, gave me BC pills and i had sonograms done every few months to check it, and as far as i know, i am currently cyst free. they never said what kind of cyst it was, what caused it, or anything like that

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/08/2013 5:42 pm

Doctors are so ridiculous sometimes...when you get your hormones checked see if they can check your androgens as well. At least testosterone, free testosterone and DHEA. Do you have trouble losing weight? How are your periods when you're not on the pill? PCOS is really just any two symptoms combined: irregular periods, high testosterone, insulin resistance and ovarian cysts.

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:09 pm

Doctors are so ridiculous sometimes...when you get your hormones checked see if they can check your androgens as well. At least testosterone, free testosterone and DHEA. Do you have trouble losing weight? How are your periods when you're not on the pill? PCOS is really just any two symptoms combined: irregular periods, high testosterone, insulin resistance and ovarian cysts.

i didn't get to ask them to check all that :(

but no, i dont have trouble losing weight, but i do have irregular periods and ive had cysts in the past. i could try and make an appointment with my gyno and see if they could test me there

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:20 pm

I use both, 100% tea tree oil and the tea tree oil bar soap by desert essence. I mainly use the tea tree oil as a spot treatment and mixed in with my clay masks. Essential oils are kind of drying if you apply them directly to the skin. You should mix them with a carrier oil like sweet almond oil or mineral oil works too. I always have mineral oil at my house so that's what I use and it doesn't clog pores. If your adding a few drops of tto to a clay mask you don't need a carrier oil.

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/22/2013 5:01 pm

got my results today!

they were checking me out for a bunch of things, and I mentioned I've heard my estrogen levels were low. Got a copy of the test, and the estrogen level came back 60 pg/mL with Reference Ranges - Early Follicular Phase - 70-400 Late Follicular Phase 100-900 Luteal Phase 70-700 Postmenopausal 130 or less

She didn't tell me anything about it being low though?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/22/2013 8:50 pm

Hmmm can you call back and ask? It would be low according to those ranges. Not sure which phase of your cycle you are in though.

MemberMember
(@bitherj)

Posted : 01/25/2013 9:12 am

I was having similar issues. Check out my recent post titled Turning To All Natural Face Regimen And Going Off Birth Control - Proves To Be Best Solution. Or something like that. Sounds like yours is definitely hormonal, as was mine. I went off my birth control and my face has never been clearer. My face is super sensitive too, and witch hazel was too harsh for my skin. I use rose/chamomile/geranium water concoctions as my toner and it is MUCH gentler and very effective. Have your doctor do a hormone test on you to see what your levels are at, and adjust accordingly. But for some people, like me, birth control really doesn't help acne.

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/25/2013 9:30 am

Hey, hun!

As I was reading, I was about to suggest Castile soap. I will be 26 thks year, still have awful breakouts, especially "that time of the month" and horribly sensitive skin. Dr. Bronner's is the only soap i'll use. It's saponified oils. My gramma used to swear by it, and honestly I wish I had started using it as a teen. I have oily skin, so it's good that the soap lathers up, but not so much that it's over drying. I tried the tea tree oil Dr. Bronner's, but the tea tree was too harsh, but the lavender oil one is great, very mild and gentle and lavender has antibacterial properties. Best of luck dear, I know how awful acne is... Hang in there!

P.s I used "zum face" witch hazel toner in the morning, and wash my make up off with Dr Bronner's at night, then apply diluted raw ACV as a "chemical exfoliant" (always wanted to "scrape dead skin off in the shower with the castile soap...which felt clean after, but it aggravated my skin...ACV fixed that) add jojoba oil only to my T zone (got rid of forehead congestion and "melts" blackheads out,) then wait 10 minutes and wipe it all with the zum face hitch hazel toner.