Notifications
Clear all

A 2013 Wish?

MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 12/31/2012 9:33 pm

Happy almost 2013 everybody!

Hello there. This is my first time coming to these boards, and my first time with an account on acne.org. Granted, I've been watching, reading, and learning things from this site for years.

As proper introduction etiquette states, I'll discuss who I am and my condition.

First off, I'm 16 years old and a female. My name is Krysta, and I'm really pleased to meet you all! You all seem very sweet and informative, which is really helpful.

I've had facial acne for a few years now. It's not terrible, sure, but it's still there and extremely bothersome. My cheeks are normal and rarely dry, and I've yet to have a spot on them. The same can't be said for my forehead, nose, and chin. My chin was the first to breakout, much to my dismay. Then it traveled to my nose, and then resided on my forehead. It's terrible, and definitely injuring to my self-esteem.

I've tried at least a hundred products with little luck. My current regimen is to drink 12 glasses of water (which I have been doing for a year) a day, drink 3 cups of tea (green, ginger, and rooibos - again, I've been doing this for a year), wash twice a day with Neutrogena Acne-Prone Soap, and refrain from touching my face (though that is extremely difficult and I find myself doing it anyway).

This year for 2013, my only resolution is to get clear skin. I know it sounds crazy, but it'd be wonderful. I'm willing to try anything at this point, and I look forward to advice in the future/recommended products and such from this site.

Alright, keep warm you guys. Happy new year! :P

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 12/31/2012 10:05 pm

I bet most people around here will also have clear skin as a goal for 2013, myself included.

In a way though I think it's better to be realistic about it. It can still be a goal or a wish or a hope (rather than a resolution as such) but I don't think people should get completely hung up on having a deadline to get clear skin. It's not always so easy - and I think for some people it could lead to a pattern of obsessive thinking / be more detrimental emotionally. Who knows what will happen this year? It would be awesome if we were all able to reach clear skin this year and maybe we will! But at the same time, we shouldn't be really really upset if it doesn't 'go to plan' by the end of 2013. Life goes on and it's what you make it, - acne or not!

Acne takes time (and sometimes a lot of it and trial error) to work out and get rid of!

But in the mean time - I'm in no way giving up trying for clear skin. I'm just also working on the emotional effects of acne and learning to accept and love myself as I am now with acne.

Anyway, - here's hoping 2013 brings great things for all of us smile.png

Happy new year all!

(also - I love drinking rooibos tea too - I drink heaps of that stuff!) :P

MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 12/31/2012 11:36 pm

I bet most people around here will also have clear skin as a goal for 2013, myself included.

In a way though I think it's better to be realistic about it. It can still be a goal or a wish or a hope (rather than a resolution as such) but I don't think people should get completely hung up on having a deadline to get clear skin. It's not always so easy - and I think for some people it could lead to a pattern of obsessive thinking / be more detrimental emotionally. Who knows what will happen this year? It would be awesome if we were all able to reach clear skin this year and maybe we will! But at the same time, we shouldn't be really really upset if it doesn't 'go to plan' by the end of 2013. Life goes on and it's what you make it, - acne or not!

Acne takes time (and sometimes a lot of it and trial error) to work out and get rid of!

But in the mean time - I'm in no way giving up trying for clear skin. I'm just also working on the emotional effects of acne and learning to accept and love myself as I am now with acne.

Anyway, - here's hoping 2013 brings great things for all of us smile.png

Happy new year all!

(also - I love drinking rooibos tea too - I drink heaps of that stuff!) tongue.png

Thank you very much taking the time to post a pretty insightful message. I read it over a few times, and I really like the way you think!

I have a tendency to over think my acne. I know how terrible of a thing that is, but I do obsess over it from time to time and I'm really trying not to. It's hard to let go of the worry, but I bet it would do wonders to the mental and even emotional aspect of my acne if I did. I'll try to think more like that in the future! Maybe that'll be a sort of addition for my 2013 resolution; be kinder to myself and the acne on my face - life is whatever I want it to be. nod.gif

I second that wish! Let's hope 2013 will be a wonderful new year. 2012 wasn't the greatest for me, so I pray 2013 will. biggrin.png

And yes, rooibos tea is just the best! amused.gif I love the different flavors available, and how authentic it tastes!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 12/31/2012 11:48 pm

Well I'm glad it was of some sort of help to you then :)

Same here - 2012 wasn't the best in some ways for me so I hope 2013 will be great. New start and all that..

And yeah I think that's a great thing to try - being kinder to yourself and your skin :) I often think - 'Kill it with kindness' regarding acne, even though I'll stick to chemical products if that's what works for me. Being kinder to yourself though is always a good thing

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/01/2013 12:50 am

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!!!

ThinMints liked
MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 01/01/2013 1:05 am

Well I'm glad it was of some sort of help to you then smile.png

Same here - 2012 wasn't the best in some ways for me so I hope 2013 will be great. New start and all that..

And yeah I think that's a great thing to try - being kinder to yourself and your skin smile.png I often think - 'Kill it with kindness' regarding acne, even though I'll stick to chemical products if that's what works for me. Being kinder to yourself though is always a good thing

This reminds me of Bubzbeauty. Have you heard of her? She's a beauty guru on Youtube, and she's a fantastic person who gives out wonderful advice.

I remember in one of her skin videos (as a high school student, she had very, very severe cystic acne) she talked about how if you think too much about acne and stress over it, it can be detrimental to your skin. Her advice was to just be happy, look in the mirror and say, "Y'know, my skin isn't that bad. It's nice."

Maybe I'll try to do something akin to that. Killing it with kindness, as you say. :)

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/01/2013 1:26 am

I actually have seen a few of her videos! Mainly the skin care related ones

She's right - It's good advice to try and worry less about it I think. At the end of the day all the stress and worry over your skin won't be doing any good anyway :)

MemberMember
(@thinmints)

Posted : 01/01/2013 2:50 am

I actually have seen a few of her videos! Mainly the skin care related ones

She's right - It's good advice to try and worry less about it I think. At the end of the day all the stress and worry over your skin won't be doing any good anyway smile.png

I watch most of her skin care videos too! I like some of her DIY videos, even if I didn't get the same results. She introduced me to organic honey masks, and that seems to calm down some of the redness I get occasionally.

Yes! I agree whole-heartedly! I'm going to definitely work on stressing less, eating better foods for my skin and the like. I hope it helps, even if only in a minor way or with emotional health. :P