Notifications
Clear all

Obsessed!

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:49 am

I find that now I'm about 95% clear. Clear enough that I don't have to wear make up out, unless I was going to a party or some occassion, thnaks to my strict skin regimen... For info, inquire and I can send pics. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of when my skin was bad because I BURNT THEM ALL!! , I'm sure you can understand. Anyway... I do find myself getting obsessed when I break out. I had a cyst and I wanted to cut it open! I was so close till mom stopped me, it would have been a disaster!. Point is... How do I stop being so obsessive and vain??

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/30/2012 4:49 am

I find that now I'm about 95% clear. Clear enough that I don't have to wear make up out, unless I was going to a party or some occassion, thnaks to my strict skin regimen... For info, inquire and I can send pics. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of when my skin was bad because I BURNT THEM ALL!! , I'm sure you can understand. Anyway... I do find myself getting obsessed when I break out. I had a cyst and I wanted to cut it open! I was so close till mom stopped me, it would have been a disaster!. Point is... How do I stop being so obsessive and vain??

can you tell us what is the condition of your skin now,you say you are 95% clear but you had a cyst,does that mean you overall have a clear complexion but occasionally your face is blighted by a cyst?

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 8:09 am

can you tell us what is the condition of your skin now,you say you are 95% clear but you had a cyst,does that mean you overall have a clear complexion but occasionally your face is blighted by a cyst?

Yes, my over all skin is clear, that's why the cyst too me by suprise.... And I got really obsessed with getting rid of it

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 12/30/2012 9:34 am

Firstly I want to say how impressed I am that you go out without make up. I know a lot of girls find this difficult even if they have clear skin! Funnily enough I refused to wear make up while my skin was bad (I was so fearful it would aggravate it), I wear make up much more frequently now my skin is clear.

For me, I was so obsessed and vain when my skin was bad... It was all I could think about and talk about. It was rigidly vigilant with my diet (I never ate out), my drinking (drinking unhealthy amounts of water and green tea), vitamins and supplements (I had to buy a jumbo pill box). Even when my skin cleared up I was still OBSESSED! Once I went on a vacation and I forgot my topical, I made my boyfriend get a key from a neighbour, find my cream and post it to me. If anything got in the way of my strict skin care regime, I freaked out.

Now... I'm much more laid back. I've had a big break from having the constant break out and covering of spots and as a result, the odd spot doesn't bother me. I just cover it and get on with life.

I realised that constantly talking about my skin, my remedies and how shitty my life was because of acne was boring me big time. I was really BORED of my skin... and I stopped being so obsessed.

Having acne and bad skin is awful. It's on your face! I don't know how anyone can have acne and not be obsessed. I'm sure that whilst you're 'obsessed' right now, you won't be when you get used to your skin actually being normal. Everyone gets the odd spot now and again and soon you'll realise you're one of those people.

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 10:23 am

Thanks Abigail! You made a lot of sense, and yes... as for the make up, i never liked it and only used to use it to cover up spots and I tended to put on too much cause I had lots to cover and I wasn't and I'm still not very good with make up, so since my skin got better, I just gave it up completely and it feels very good.

I'd react thesame too if I went on vacation and forgot my tropicals or facial stuff lol... Your skin looks great on the pic you have on your profile! I couldn't post my pics on here, don't know why, even though I post lots on social medias.

How strict is your diet now?

Firstly I want to say how impressed I am that you go out without make up. I know a lot of girls find this difficult even if they have clear skin! Funnily enough I refused to wear make up while my skin was bad (I was so fearful it would aggravate it), I wear make up much more frequently now my skin is clear.

For me, I was so obsessed and vain when my skin was bad... It was all I could think about and talk about. It was rigidly vigilant with my diet (I never ate out), my drinking (drinking unhealthy amounts of water and green tea), vitamins and supplements (I had to buy a jumbo pill box). Even when my skin cleared up I was still OBSESSED! Once I went on a vacation and I forgot my topical, I made my boyfriend get a key from a neighbour, find my cream and post it to me. If anything got in the way of my strict skin care regime, I freaked out.

Now... I'm much more laid back. I've had a big break from having the constant break out and covering of spots and as a result, the odd spot doesn't bother me. I just cover it and get on with life.

I realised that constantly talking about my skin, my remedies and how shitty my life was because of acne was boring me big time. I was really BORED of my skin... and I stopped being so obsessed.

Having acne and bad skin is awful. It's on your face! I don't know how anyone can have acne and not be obsessed. I'm sure that whilst you're 'obsessed' right now, you won't be when you get used to your skin actually being normal. Everyone gets the odd spot now and again and soon you'll realise you're one of those people.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 12/30/2012 11:27 am

Your post has inspired me to finally finish writing my blog post about going out without make up! If you have any interest in this here's the link :) http://abi-girl.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/going-without-make-up-bare-faced-freedom.html

It sure does feel good not to wear make up!

My skin used to be rather terrible. I actually took lots and lots of photos of it which are in my gallery on the org and here. Looking at them as a reference puts things in perspective for me when I get the odd spot.

My diet isn't at all strict any more. At the time I ate no dairy, no processed foods... I drank no alcohol or juice. I was living off a caveman diet and drinking only green tea and water. It made absolutely no difference to my skin, I just lost a lot of weight and lacked energy. I still have a healthy diet but it is in no way strict; I drink wine again, go out for a curry or a thai most weeks. I think if I survived on pizza I'd soon see that in my skin but personally, diet doesn't affect my skin.

Does your diet affect your skin?

Thanks Abigail! You made a lot of sense, and yes... as for the make up, i never liked it and only used to use it to cover up spots and I tended to put on too much cause I had lots to cover and I wasn't and I'm still not very good with make up, so since my skin got better, I just gave it up completely and it feels very good.

I'd react thesame too if I went on vacation and forgot my tropicals or facial stuff lol... Your skin looks great on the pic you have on your profile! I couldn't post my pics on here, don't know why, even though I post lots on social medias.

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 11:40 am

Your post has inspired me to finally finish writing my blog post about going out without make up! If you have any interest in this here's the link :) http://abi-girl.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/going-without-make-up-bare-faced-freedom.html

It sure does feel good not to wear make up!

My skin used to be rather terrible. I actually took lots and lots of photos of it which are in my gallery on the org and here. Looking at them as a reference puts things in perspective for me when I get the odd spot.

My diet isn't at all strict any more. At the time I ate no dairy, no processed foods... I drank no alcohol or juice. I was living off a caveman diet and drinking only green tea and water. It made absolutely no difference to my skin, I just lost a lot of weight and lacked energy. I still have a healthy diet but it is in no way strict; I drink wine again, go out for a curry or a thai most weeks. I think if I survived on pizza I'd soon see that in my skin but personally, diet doesn't affect my skin.

I'll defintely take a look at your posts :) you should definitely finish your blog, I just might start one too.

For me, diet doesn't affect my skin either, it just seems to be mostly hormonal and I think that's probably worse than it being caused by diet because you can't do anything about it lol

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 11:58 am

I'll defintely take a look at your posts you should definitely finish your blog, I just might start one too.

For me, diet doesn't affect my skin either, it just seems to be mostly hormonal and I think that's probably worse than it being caused by diet because you can't do anything about it lol

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 12/30/2012 12:04 pm

My derm said something like that to me. She told me it wasn't my fault and that it wasn't anything that I was doing.... That's worse! If it's something in your lifestyle that causes spots, at least you can change or stop that thing. Have you tried BC for hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 12:18 pm

My derm said something like that to me. She told me it wasn't my fault and that it wasn't anything that I was doing.... That's worse! If it's something in your lifestyle that causes spots, at least you can change or stop that thing. Have you tried BC for hormonal acne?

It's so true!! So sometimes I feel helpless...

I thought about going on birth control a dew years back but I know that it would come back when I go off the pill, so I decided not to do that and I heard about side effects too, didn't want to risk it. Did it help you?

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 12/30/2012 12:22 pm

It's so true!! So sometimes I feel helpless...

I thought about going on birth control a dew years back but I know that it would come back when I go off the pill, so I decided not to do that and I heard about side effects too, didn't want to risk it. Did it help you?

I was put on Yasmin to help my acne and to, well, control birth... I didn't notice an improvement as a result of the pill but I think my acne was more a result of unfortunate genetics than hormones. I do have a friend who had great success with BC, but her acne did come back when she came off it (ended up having permanent success with roaccutane).

I've had no side effects with Yasmin, although my boobs were ENORMOUS (to the joy of my partner) but so painful (to the disappointment of said partner) to begin with but they have now deflated back to normal size and I go back to waiting forever to be served in a bar. I had huge problems with Dianette, I didn't stay on it long enough to see skin results but I was an emotional wreck!

What did you use to get to 95% clear?

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:52 pm

Yes, my over all skin is clear, that's why the cyst too me by suprise.... And I got really obsessed with getting rid of it

I suffered week in week out for 10 years until the age of 25,it was always one cyst the rest of my face was healthy

fortunately I discovered quite by accident what was causing them,I am 55 this year and have got caught out once every year or two years since I was 25,it was my fault,the last time was before xmas,check out the photo if you want,the one spot is all but gone.

(Pics)Phew! My Cystic Spot Is Dissappearing Fast For Christmas Day

MemberMember
(@prissygirl)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:08 pm

I suffered week in week out for 10 years until the age of 25,it was always one cyst the rest of my face was healthy

fortunately I discovered quite by accident what was causing them,I am 55 this year and have got caught out once every year or two years since I was 25,it was my fault,the last time was before xmas,check out the photo if you want,the one spot is all but gone.

(Pics)Phew! My Cystic Spot Is Dissappearing Fast For Christmas Day

Wow that looked serious, never had one like that before, and I'm glad it's gone :) it's barely noticeable

MemberMember
(@mameha)

Posted : 12/31/2012 4:52 am

Honestly, to curb the obsession, NOT visiting these forums helps a great deal.

Obviously these topics are centered on acne....and by dwelling on possible treatments and reading about depression triggers, you can lapse into a mindset that your biggest priority should be clear skin.

I noticed that when I'd see a new blemish (even a very minor one), my mood would be affected much more severely if I'd been visiting these forums than if I hadn't.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/31/2012 11:23 am

Obviously these topics are centered on acne....and by dwelling on possible treatments and reading about depression triggers, you can lapse into a mindset that your biggest priority should be clear skin.

I noticed that when I'd see a new blemish (even a very minor one), my mood would be affected much more severely if I'd been visiting these forums than if I hadn't.

Yeah. What you've said is the reason I don't really go in the diet forum anymore. You'll be driven to insanity.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/31/2012 1:09 pm

just wondering if you have the same intolerance/allergy as me because I have ever got only one cyst at a time and never suffered from "true acne"

Yeah. What you've said is the reason I don't really go in the diet forum anymore. You'll be driven to insanity.

just wondering if you have the same intolerance/allergy as me because I have ever got only one cyst at a time and never suffered from "true acne".

just wondering if you have the same intolerance/allergy as me because I have ever got only one cyst at a time and never

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 12/31/2012 4:17 pm

I know completelyyyyy how you feel. In fact, your problem is pretty much the exact same as mine. My skin is MUCH better now, I don't get big pimples very often, my marks are fading, etc. However, when a pimple does surface, I nearly go crazy. I become obsessed with getting rid of it as soon as possible, if it's noticeable or not, etc. One 'bad' pimple is enough to make me not want to leave the house, see friends. It's almost ridiculous. I see other people in public with worse skin than me, and I feel self conscious about one spot?

I think the root problem IS the fact that we've had 'bad' acne in the past. My acne was about moderate, but it was noticeable and it brought me down a lot. It took a few months to get it under control. Ever since that one bad breakout, my skin has been my biggest insecurity. I freak out over every little thing and feel like everyone is judging me for it.

So, as you can see, I really know how you feel. Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is seek help. I started taking Prozac a few months ago and I feel it's helped a lot. I also started therapy, but I'm switching psychologists because I didn't connect with mine that well. I have seen improvement in my ways of thinking, though. I'm less obsessed and less affected by my skin. Once you get a clearer state of mind, you'll realize you can overcome the psychological effects of acne. For me, looking at other people and seeing them have the same skin as me also helps. Acne is more common than you think.

Also I agree with the above poster. Not coming to these forums actually DOES help in some cases. It helps you not obsess as much and think clear skin is the ultimate goal. Often, the people I've seen with acne that are really happy, have something else to distract them; a passion, a hobby, school, work, etc. Find something to work towards that doesn't include your looks and you'll feel more fulfilled and less distraught over a spot or two.

Andddd finally, I have a cystic pimple right now too. The first one I've gotten in months, and it's on my chin. It's not actually that bad, but it's red so that makes it more noticeable. And I feel distressed over it! But it's helping to post things like this to put my problems into perspective. It's just one spot. Your cyst will be gone soon, and if it's not, there's always bunches of methods that a derm can use to get rid of it. It won't be there forever, that's for sure :)

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/01/2013 10:12 am

I know completelyyyyy how you feel. In fact, your problem is pretty much the exact same as mine. My skin is MUCH better now, I don't get big pimples very often, my marks are fading, etc. However, when a pimple does surface, I nearly go crazy. I become obsessed with getting rid of it as soon as possible, if it's noticeable or not, etc. One 'bad' pimple is enough to make me not want to leave the house, see friends. It's almost ridiculous. I see other people in public with worse skin than me, and I feel self conscious about one spot?

I think the root problem IS the fact that we've had 'bad' acne in the past. My acne was about moderate, but it was noticeable and it brought me down a lot. It took a few months to get it under control. Ever since that one bad breakout, my skin has been my biggest insecurity. I freak out over every little thing and feel like everyone is judging me for it.

So, as you can see, I really know how you feel. Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is seek help. I started taking Prozac a few months ago and I feel it's helped a lot. I also started therapy, but I'm switching psychologists because I didn't connect with mine that well. I have seen improvement in my ways of thinking, though. I'm less obsessed and less affected by my skin. Once you get a clearer state of mind, you'll realize you can overcome the psychological effects of acne. For me, looking at other people and seeing them have the same skin as me also helps. Acne is more common than you think.

Also I agree with the above poster. Not coming to these forums actually DOES help in some cases. It helps you not obsess as much and think clear skin is the ultimate goal. Often, the people I've seen with acne that are really happy, have something else to distract them; a passion, a hobby, school, work, etc. Find something to work towards that doesn't include your looks and you'll feel more fulfilled and less distraught over a spot or two.

Andddd finally, I have a cystic pimple right now too. The first one I've gotten in months, and it's on my chin. It's not actually that bad, but it's red so that makes it more noticeable. And I feel distressed over it! But it's helping to post things like this to put my problems into perspective. It's just one spot. Your cyst will be gone soon, and if it's not, there's always bunches of methods that a derm can use to get rid of it. It won't be there forever, that's for sure smile.png

just wondering if you have the same intolerance/allergy as me because I have ever got only one cyst at a time and never suffered from "true acne".

MemberMember
(@mameha)

Posted : 01/02/2013 4:23 am

I haven't ventured in that section of the forum yet but I can totally imagine!