Notifications
Clear all

Mixing Fats

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/29/2012 5:48 pm

Is it okay to eat different fats at one time (i.e. coconut oil and olive oil. Or coconut oil and butter (ghee)?

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/29/2012 8:09 pm

It's not going to kill you- but fat impedes digestion...especially if eaten with protein. Nevertheless it's extremely important to include healthy fats in your diet like the ones you listed. Just- do it in moderation- and I wouldn't think it's necessary to include more than one fat source in the same meal. Think about our ancestors and what they ate. There's no naturally occurring food that contains multiple types of fats.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/03/2013 6:15 am

I agree that there is no naturally occuring food that contains multiple fats. The question then lies... how do we cook our food then?

If i want to make beef mince, should i cook it without any coconut oil or ghee (butter)? Should i eat the healthy fats on their own, or with only veggies?

What consititutes moderation?

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 01/03/2013 9:05 am

There's a big elephant in the room and it could actually be an elephant

but fat impedes digestion...especially if eaten with protein
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/03/2013 10:21 am

Yeah, and I think just about everything contains an assortment of different fats. Look foods up on nutrition data for the lipid profile. I just saw a mercola article that said bacon from naturally raised pigs is predominately oleic acid.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/03/2013 10:30 am

Hahaha I should rephrase. I mean that there is no animal that contains fats like avocado or butter...or any plant fat- peanuts for example- that contain lard and such- so it's OPTIMAL (from an evolutionary standpoint) to take animal fat with animal protein like you would when eating a whole food in nature. Our ancestors couldn't really be picky- pulling stuff out of the fridge, mixing and matching random pieces of foods and making a meal. I just wouldn't make an effort to like...pour olive oil on your nuts, then eat a chunk of coconut oil with your turkey for a snack- lard with your apple, etc.

And what I meant by piling on fats and impeding digestion is just that. The more fats you add to your protein meals the slower it will digest which could cause many issues. But a normal amount of fat with meals is necessary and beneficial. You be the judge of this amount. Just enough to cook the food will suffice.

I repeat- never cook with olive oil! To answer your question, I cook most animal products (meat, fish, eggs) in butter and I use coconut oil to cook my veggies (pepper, onion, broccoli etc.) On salads , I usually just put a bit of olive and balsamic on my greens.

This sample meal- for me, constitutes moderation. Also the only reason I eat so much fat is because I eat no starches...practically...and especially no grains. The combo of grain and fat is deadly in the arteries. It's not the healthy fats that are the problemo. Let us know how your meals are doing!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/03/2013 10:29 pm

What kind of crazy freak animal would have both?!

I cook beef with coconut sometimes, rarely. Doesn't seem to compliment the taste well, but it goes down alright. Normally I use either Olive Oil or Butter, both work. Melted cheese on bacon = amazing, though it's a similar kind of fat. Eggs and Olive Oil = amazing. You can definitely mix fats, and of course it's good to mix them with vegetables. It helps extract the nutrients from every food you eat and gives them an easier ride to your cells.

Moderation means don't eat when you're not hungry.

Your post is slightly confusing. I am assuming the following is sarcasm? "What kind of crazy freak animal would have both?!"

I mean most meats out there have protein and fat (animal fat), and i am pretty sure animals eat both?

Hahaha I should rephrase. I mean that there is no animal that contains fats like avocado or butter...or any plant fat- peanuts for example- that contain lard and such- so it's OPTIMAL (from an evolutionary standpoint) to take animal fat with animal protein like you would when eating a whole food in nature. Our ancestors couldn't really be picky- pulling stuff out of the fridge, mixing and matching random pieces of foods and making a meal. I just wouldn't make an effort to like...pour olive oil on your nuts, then eat a chunk of coconut oil with your turkey for a snack- lard with your apple, etc.

And what I meant by piling on fats and impeding digestion is just that. The more fats you add to your protein meals the slower it will digest which could cause many issues. But a normal amount of fat with meals is necessary and beneficial. You be the judge of this amount. Just enough to cook the food will suffice.

I repeat- never cook with olive oil! To answer your question, I cook most animal products (meat, fish, eggs) in butter and I use coconut oil to cook my veggies (pepper, onion, broccoli etc.) On salads , I usually just put a bit of olive and balsamic on my greens.

This sample meal- for me, constitutes moderation. Also the only reason I eat so much fat is because I eat no starches...practically...and especially no grains. The combo of grain and fat is deadly in the arteries. It's not the healthy fats that are the problemo. Let us know how your meals are doing!

Does this keep you completely clear of acne? The whole goal is to have no acne..

According to your post ind1go, butter is okay to eat with animal protein (only one tablespoon i assume?)

What happens if you cook your meat with coconut oil?

I am just so baffled what diet is best for me when it comes to acne.

I have tried paleo (which consisted of a lot of food mixing), and it gave me like no results..

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/03/2013 10:41 pm

What kind of crazy freak animal would have both?!

I cook beef with coconut sometimes, rarely. Doesn't seem to compliment the taste well, but it goes down alright. Normally I use either Olive Oil or Butter, both work. Melted cheese on bacon = amazing, though it's a similar kind of fat. Eggs and Olive Oil = amazing. You can definitely mix fats, and of course it's good to mix them with vegetables. It helps extract the nutrients from every food you eat and gives them an easier ride to your cells.

Moderation means don't eat when you're not hungry.

Your post is slightly confusing. I am assuming the following is sarcasm? "What kind of crazy freak animal would have both?!"

I mean most meats out there have protein and fat (animal fat), and i am pretty sure animals eat both?

Does this keep you completely clear of acne? The whole goal is to have no acne..

According to your post ind1go, butter is okay to eat with animal protein (only one tablespoon i assume?)

What happens if you cook your meat with coconut oil?

I am just so baffled what diet is best for me when it comes to acne.

I have tried paleo (which consisted of a lot of food mixing), and it gave me like no results..

Eating a certain way, on its own, will probably only completely cure your acne over a good many months if you strictly stick to it. The hormones, digestive processes, damage/inflammation internally etc. all takes time to correct. A good many months indeed...but that is, of course, if you have no preexisting intolerances or sensitivities. If you do, and a food you're consuming is causing your acne, your acne will probably clear up in a few weeks with an elimination diet.

My recommendation is to go 100% paleo. If you add this fat balancing thing onto a horrible diet it probably won't help your acne at all. On top of the paleo- increase omega 3. The biggest thing I want to say it please don't stress too much about this proper ratio of fat etc. It seems like you're really concerned and at a point, so was I. But stress is a huge culprit in acne and myself and a few others on this site had become so obsessed with what we were eating that we were causing psychological unrest. Don't worry too much about portions (tablespoon is fine). Nothing will happen if you cook meat in coconut oil- in fact, it makes it more moist. I cooked my natures promise chicken in coconut oil tonight.

I guess I really should re-clarify my first post. No: it doesn't matter to mix fats, most of the time. Just don't go out of your way to throw in a bunch of crazy different kinds of fats with meals, keep it simple. Choose one main fat per meal- if you're cooking with coconut oil that night, stick with it. If you're cooking with butter, stick with that.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/04/2013 7:08 am

It's not going to kill you- but fat impedes digestion...especially if eaten with protein. Nevertheless it's extremely important to include healthy fats in your diet like the ones you listed. Just- do it in moderation- and I wouldn't think it's necessary to include more than one fat source in the same meal. Think about our ancestors and what they ate. There's no naturally occurring food that contains multiple types of fats.

Impedes? Not the word i would use. Slows down digestion and has very low insulin response which is a good thing.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/04/2013 11:27 am

Impedes? Not the word i would use. Slows down digestion and has very low insulin response which is a good thing.

Well, yes. Impede is used to mean delay. The insulin factor is a great thing about fats- but like I said, there is a limit, especially with poor digestion during high protein meals.