My Face Is Clear Fo...

Notifications
Clear all

My Face Is Clear For The First Time In Ages, So I Am Writing About It!

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 12/28/2012 12:22 pm

well, i thought i'd write about it since this is the clearest my face has been in a long time. what i think has helped me is the recent addition of Flaxseed Oil supplements to my daily routine. although i am not entirely sure that these are solely what has helped me, i am nearly certain because it is the only thing different i have been doing and as soon as i started taking them my acne seems to have subsided. i'll try to be concise and spare my life story...

i take Nature Made organic flaxseed oil 1000mg supplements and have been taking 2-3 a day for the past week. aside from that, i have also been taking 450mg Saw Palmetto a few times a day, as well as 175mg Milk Thistle, 50mg L-lysine (i try to take these handful of supplements regularly), and less frequently have been taking 25000iU beta carotene, 30mg zinc, and i had D3 but ate it all.

to wash my face i have been using regular ol' Noxzema (although i got Equate, the generic brand) when i shower. i don't really wash my face over the sink as it is rather difficult to effectively do with this stuff, so at night i generally just rinse with water before bed. i have also been using the AcneFree Sulfur Mask at night, i put some over my problem areas and/or on active pimples that i have and it really seems to help. it evens my skin tone and makes my skin look better, and it also seems to help exfoliate. i was using Clearasil 10% BP spot cream, the "vanishing" kind, and i don't even know if it really helped. but recently this system has been working for me. i wash with Noxzema in the shower and leave it on for a couple minutes before i rinse it off. it can be a bit drying, but i have had really oily skin in the past year so the dryness kind of evens out, plus it is winter so dry skin is expected. then i just use some of the the Sulfur mask at night and wash it off in the morning. this has worked well to keep my pimples manageable, but only this past week since i've taken flaxseed oil has my skin REALLY cleared up.

i mean it. normally i would always have around 10 pimples on my face at all times, and right now i have none except for a little spot on the side of my forehead that's healing. also i have a lot of acne scars, which sucks, the past 4 years have been a living nightmare for me but right now i show promise, and it seems to be because of flaxseed oil.

i am keeping my fingers crossed that my face continues to clear up and stay clear. i have been taking numerous supplements for a long time with little to no results and in this past week that i've taken flaxseed oil my skin looks a lot better. i still have oily skin, but i have less blackheads now, little to none (i would always have a lot of blackheads, especially in my nose). i will post again after a few days to let you know how progress goes. i just wanted to say something because i have been going insane trying to figure out why i have acne and how to get clear.

p.s. i was also drinking GoodBelly probiotic juice drink for a couple weeks, which i think may have helped. i also take probiotic supplements but i don't know if they do/did anything, but the GoodBelly probiotic is supposed to be good. i want to continue drinking it as i have digestive problems.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:37 pm

Good for you! Have a good day and enjoy your "clearness"!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:58 pm

leaky gut syndrome is the link i have found to acne. it explains vitamin d, all the antiobiotics working, and why diet causes acne. its cool how you used that probiotic drink. that is probably what cleared your acne. i will have to try it too! and congratz on ur clear beautiful skin!

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 01/02/2013 2:31 pm

well, i still have been getting a few little spots here and there but they are mostly manageable and not nearly as bad as the acne i used to get. it seems that they are mostly blackheads/whiteheads that will appear in my regular problem areas. it sucks because my skin is very pale so when i get any kind of blemish/redness it stands out much more. however, my skin is mostly clear and i do not seem to be developing bad pimples as usual. i can only attribute this new found help to the flaxseed oil i have been taking, i think it has made a noticeable difference in my skin. no other supplements seem to have had much effect on my skin, which really makes me wonder.

i want to use this new year as a fresh start so i can make positive changes in my life. i intend to start working out regularly and eating even more fruits and vegetables. although i have never believed that my diet effected my acne too much (i eat fairly well) i am sure that eating even better could only help. so here's to new beginnings! i hope to finally get clear this year and to rid this disease once and for all.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 01/02/2013 4:07 pm

I'm not surprised, because flaxseed oil contains a high amount of Omega-3's. I would try, and drop all the other supplements you're taking to see if the flaxseed oil is your "magic bullet". This may sound scary, but worth it. Last month I took a multivitamin everyday for a month, my skin was less oily (could just be the winter weather), but I was not pleased with the overall results. I'm on my 3rd day of switching over to Fish Oil Capsules, which also contains high amount of Omega-3's. I haven't posted in awhile, but your post interested me.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/02/2013 5:21 pm

I'm not surprised, because flaxseed oil contains a high amount of Omega-3's. I would try, and drop all the other supplements you're taking to see if the flaxseed oil is your "magic bullet". This may sound scary, but worth it. Last month I took a multivitamin everyday for a month, my skin was less oily (could just be the winter weather), but I was not pleased with the overall results. I'm on my 3rd day of switching over to Fish Oil Capsules, which also contains high amount of Omega-3's. I haven't posted in awhie, but your post interested me.

me too. im taking 2 teaspoons flaxseed oil a day and two tablespoons of fish oil.

i have been reading your posts from years ago about how bad your struggle with acne is. i feel for you man. have you ever given vitamin d a shot?

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:15 pm

I'm not surprised, because flaxseed oil contains a high amount of Omega-3's. I would try, and drop all the other supplements you're taking to see if the flaxseed oil is your "magic bullet". This may sound scary, but worth it. Last month I took a multivitamin everyday for a month, my skin was less oily (could just be the winter weather), but I was not pleased with the overall results. I'm on my 3rd day of switching over to Fish Oil Capsules, which also contains high amount of Omega-3's. I haven't posted in awhie, but your post interested me.

me too. im taking 2 teaspoons flaxseed oil a day and two tablespoons of fish oil.

i have been reading your posts from years ago about how bad your struggle with acne is. i feel for you man. have you ever given vitamin d a shot?

It has been quite a struggle, and I've tried many "vitamin experiments" on myself, including Vitamin D to no avil. I've decided to give Fish Oil another shot. I'm glad to see you've followed my posts, I'm sure I've had some interesting tidbits, here and there. I've been on here since 2006.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/02/2013 10:15 pm

well, i thought i'd write about it since this is the clearest my face has been in a long time. what i think has helped me is the recent addition of Flaxseed Oil supplements to my daily routine. although i am not entirely sure that these are solely what has helped me, i am nearly certain because it is the only thing different i have been doing and as soon as i started taking them my acne seems to have subsided. i'll try to be concise and spare my life story...

i take Nature Made organic flaxseed oil 1000mg supplements and have been taking 2-3 a day for the past week. aside from that, i have also been taking 450mg Saw Palmetto a few times a day, as well as 175mg Milk Thistle, 50mg L-lysine (i try to take these handful of supplements regularly), and less frequently have been taking 25000iU beta carotene, 30mg zinc, and i had D3 but ate it all.

to wash my face i have been using regular ol' Noxzema (although i got Equate, the generic brand) when i shower. i don't really wash my face over the sink as it is rather difficult to effectively do with this stuff, so at night i generally just rinse with water before bed. i have also been using the AcneFree Sulfur Mask at night, i put some over my problem areas and/or on active pimples that i have and it really seems to help. it evens my skin tone and makes my skin look better, and it also seems to help exfoliate. i was using Clearasil 10% BP spot cream, the "vanishing" kind, and i don't even know if it really helped. but recently this system has been working for me. i wash with Noxzema in the shower and leave it on for a couple minutes before i rinse it off. it can be a bit drying, but i have had really oily skin in the past year so the dryness kind of evens out, plus it is winter so dry skin is expected. then i just use some of the the Sulfur mask at night and wash it off in the morning. this has worked well to keep my pimples manageable, but only this past week since i've taken flaxseed oil has my skin REALLY cleared up.

i mean it. normally i would always have around 10 pimples on my face at all times, and right now i have none except for a little spot on the side of my forehead that's healing. also i have a lot of acne scars, which sucks, the past 4 years have been a living nightmare for me but right now i show promise, and it seems to be because of flaxseed oil.

i am keeping my fingers crossed that my face continues to clear up and stay clear. i have been taking numerous supplements for a long time with little to no results and in this past week that i've taken flaxseed oil my skin looks a lot better. i still have oily skin, but i have less blackheads now, little to none (i would always have a lot of blackheads, especially in my nose). i will post again after a few days to let you know how progress goes. i just wanted to say something because i have been going insane trying to figure out why i have acne and how to get clear.

p.s. i was also drinking GoodBelly probiotic juice drink for a couple weeks, which i think may have helped. i also take probiotic supplements but i don't know if they do/did anything, but the GoodBelly probiotic is supposed to be good. i want to continue drinking it as i have digestive problems.

Hmmm...can I ask you, why did you start taking the flaxseed oil in the first place? What did you read about it, and how is it supposed to aid in acne treatment?

MemberMember
(@rumplesilkskin)

Posted : 01/03/2013 3:30 pm

It has been quite a struggle, and I've tried many "vitamin experiments" on myself, including Vitamin D to no avil. I've decided to give Fish Oil another shot. I'm glad to see you've followed my posts, I'm sure I've had some interesting tidbits, here and there. I've been on here since 2006.

oh sweet mother of god, sorry coolguy, thats almost 7 years here! thats a long time, it saddens me u haven't found a cure yet

and leaves me with a daunting feeling about acne, will it ever just piss off? im sure u've tried accutane, gonna try search out posts from you now :)

x

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/03/2013 6:23 pm

Hmmm...can I ask you, why did you start taking the flaxseed oil in the first place? What did you read about it, and how is it supposed to aid in acne treatment?

its omega 3 so it lowers insulin. there are ncbi studies showing that it helps acne. just go to google and search "omega 3 acne ncbi"

MemberMember
(@buttsoup)

Posted : 01/03/2013 7:09 pm

leaky gut syndrome is the link i have found to acne.

This! A million times, this!

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 01/08/2013 9:41 pm

well here's my status thus far...

my face was pretty clear for a minute but my acne just came back as i was hoping it wouldn't. i really don't understand what the hell is wrong with me. right now i have this big nasty thing on my forehead that just came out of nowhere. although i suspect a hat might be partially to blame... my aunt knitted me this nice winter hat for christmas but it seems to irritate my skin! :( maybe after i wash it it'll be alright.

so i went to the doctor to find out about getting my hormones and gut bacteria checked/tested. i am currently in the process of doing this, which won't be easy because i have to shit in a cup and then scoop it into a little container on three separate days and keep it refridgerated! good thing it's cold outside. the doctor also gave me some trentinoin because i have super oily skin, but after reading some reviews on here i am wary to use it. i was prescribed RetinA before but it never did anything for me, but then again i wasn't consistent with it. i really don't know what to do anymore and i'm at the end of my rope. if i don't find out something about myself with these medical tests then i don't know what i'll do.

the worst part is that my skin is already very sensitive to sunlight because of all the acne treatment i've been doing for however long, so my face turns red if i'm in the sun for 5 minutes. i don't want to have to wear sunscreen on my face in the middle of winter. i don't know what to do...

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/08/2013 10:58 pm

my face was pretty clear for a minute but my acne just came back as i was hoping it wouldn't. i really don't understand what the hell is wrong with me. right now i have this big nasty thing on my forehead that just came out of nowhere. although i suspect a hat might be partially to blame... my aunt knitted me this nice winter hat for christmas but it seems to irritate my skin! sad.png maybe after i wash it it'll be alright.

so i went to the doctor to find out about getting my hormones and gut bacteria checked/tested. i am currently in the process of doing this, which won't be easy because i have to shit in a cup and then scoop it into a little container on three separate days and keep it refridgerated! good thing it's cold outside. the doctor also gave me some trentinoin because i have super oily skin, but after reading some reviews on here i am wary to use it. i was prescribed RetinA before but it never did anything for me, but then again i wasn't consistent with it. i really don't know what to do anymore and i'm at the end of my rope. if i don't find out something about myself with these medical tests then i don't know what i'll do.

the worst part is that my skin is already very sensitive to sunlight because of all the acne treatment i've been doing for however long, so my face turns red if i'm in the sun for 5 minutes. i don't want to have to wear sunscreen on my face in the middle of winter. i don't know what to do...

I'm on the same boat unfortunately. My skin clears up with changes to diet and herbs/ supplements for a while, then back to square one. Hopefully the tests will shed some light on what's going on, I'm getting them done soon too but they are so expensive. Just take what the doctors say with a grain of salt and do your research before taking any of the meds they might recommend. Sometimes doctors have standardized approaches to certain conditions that don't work for everyone. Have you tried acupuncture by the way? It really takes into account nuances that Western medicine tends to overlook (e.g. nutrition, stress levels, body temperature, heat etc).

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:31 pm

So since I realized that you guys were taking flaxseed because of the omega 3 content alone- I understood that ANY omega 3 would really make the difference you were seeing. So since reading this thread, (I already take fish oil daily), but I have been making "omega 3" smoothies daily. I put a good amount of coconut oil, hemp powder, maca powder, chia seeds, etc. I feel a lot better than I usually feel, so I'd recommend it to anyone. I think bumping up omega 3's for anyone living in the Western world....or anywhere really....is beneficial in so many ways.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/09/2013 10:21 pm

So since I realized that you guys were taking flaxseed because of the omega 3 content alone- I understood that ANY omega 3 would really make the difference you were seeing. So since reading this thread, (I already take fish oil daily), but I have been making "omega 3" smoothies daily. I put a good amount of coconut oil, hemp powder, maca powder, chia seeds, etc. I feel a lot better than I usually feel, so I'd recommend it to anyone. I think bumping up omega 3's for anyone living in the Western world....or anywhere really....is beneficial in so many ways.

but how is your acne? i have started taking 6,400 mg fish oil a day. my acne is ok

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/09/2013 11:06 pm

but how is your acne? i have started taking 6,400 mg fish oil a day. my acne is ok

I definitely see my acne getting better. I mean, taking omega 3 works over the long term, because you are steadily lowering the level of inflammation in your body. I use BP on each of my cheeks, my most problem area. I have not got any forehead or chin acne...which I sometimes do get....so that's a good sign. You need more than what you're taking in fish oil. That's too much, first of all. And is it in capsule form? Because if so- you should be taking it directly from the source (I get mine in a gel form)

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/09/2013 11:55 pm

I definitely see my acne getting better. I mean, taking omega 3 works over the long term, because you are steadily lowering the level of inflammation in your body. I use BP on each of my cheeks, my most problem area. I have not got any forehead or chin acne...which I sometimes do get....so that's a good sign. You need more than what you're taking in fish oil. That's too much, first of all. And is it in capsule form? Because if so- you should be taking it directly from the source (I get mine in a gel form)

what do you mean that is too much? why is it too much? and its on a bottle. i put in a teaspoon and drink it.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 01/10/2013 1:06 am

my face was pretty clear for a minute but my acne just came back as i was hoping it wouldn't. i really don't understand what the hell is wrong with me. right now i have this big nasty thing on my forehead that just came out of nowhere. although i suspect a hat might be partially to blame... my aunt knitted me this nice winter hat for christmas but it seems to irritate my skin! sad.png maybe after i wash it it'll be alright.

I'm on the same boat unfortunately. My skin clears up with changes to diet and herbs/ supplements for a while, then back to square one. Hopefully the tests will shed some light on what's going on, I'm getting them done soon too but they are so expensive. Just take what the doctors say with a grain of salt and do your research before taking any of the meds they might recommend. Sometimes doctors have standardized approaches to certain conditions that don't work for everyone. Have you tried acupuncture by the way? It really takes into account nuances that Western medicine tends to overlook (e.g. nutrition, stress levels, body temperature, heat etc).

i have not noticed any real fluctuations in my skin as affected by my diet. perhaps i'm wrong, but i don't believe that my diet has much to do with why i have acne. i have never tried acupuncture although i am open to the idea. i am really sick of having acne

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 01/10/2013 8:51 am

I'm not surprised, because flaxseed oil contains a high amount of Omega-3's. I would try, and drop all the other supplements you're taking to see if the flaxseed oil is your "magic bullet". This may sound scary, but worth it. Last month I took a multivitamin everyday for a month, my skin was less oily (could just be the winter weather), but I was not pleased with the overall results. I'm on my 3rd day of switching over to Fish Oil Capsules, which also contains high amount of Omega-3's. I haven't posted in awhile, but your post interested me.

The "fish oil experiment" was a bust. After about a week, breakouts on the back of the neck/behind the ears/lower scalp area. I scrapped these, and went back to the multivitamin, except I broke the dose in half (easily done). Clearing up yet again, so now I'm weary of any supplement with the word oil or containing oil. Almost immediately, the fish oils gave my skin an icky feeling, I started at 2X a day, and cut that right back to 1X a day.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/10/2013 10:45 am

what do you mean that is too much? why is it too much? and its on a bottle. i put in a teaspoon and drink it.

Well- the recommended dose for fish oil, for normal people daily is A MINIMUM of 300 mg. However, for things like heart disease, the suggested dose is 1000 mg, and for very severe inflammatory conditions, the appropriate dose is said to be 2000 mg. That would mean that you are taking 3 times the amount of the recommended dose for super inflammatory medical conditions DAILY. So...especially since I don't know what "form" of it you're taking (like, is it fermented, is it from wild caught fish, etc.) I definitely worry that your dose is too high. The high omega 3 content of it is not really a concern, since I'll assume that your diet (if you're eating a modified standard American diet like most of us are, we still get a balance of omega 6 and 9). However, fish oil, because of the very high levels of vitamin A, CAN be toxic. I'm glad you're taking it in a liquid form though- its better that way.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/11/2013 10:20 pm

The "fish oil experiment" was a bust. After about a week, breakouts on the back of the neck/behind the ears/lower scalp area. I scrapped these, and went back to the multivitamin, except I broke the dose in half (easily done). Clearing up yet again, so now I'm weary of any supplement with the word oil or containing oil. Almost immediately, the fish oils gave my skin an icky feeling, I started at 2X a day, and cut that right back to 1X a day.

yah the study says that will happen. half the people got rid of their acne. half of them actually got worse acne! it said fish oil is good for moderate to severe acne and bad for mild acne. do you indeed have mild acne? i have moderate and it is clearing me up. mild means like just a few pimples and maybe 1 or 2 white heads.

Well- the recommended dose for fish oil, for normal people daily is A MINIMUM of 300 mg. However, for things like heart disease, the suggested dose is 1000 mg, and for very severe inflammatory conditions, the appropriate dose is said to be 2000 mg. That would mean that you are taking 3 times the amount of the recommended dose for super inflammatory medical conditions DAILY. So...especially since I don't know what "form" of it you're taking (like, is it fermented, is it from wild caught fish, etc.) I definitely worry that your dose is too high. The high omega 3 content of it is not really a concern, since I'll assume that your diet (if you're eating a modified standard American diet like most of us are, we still get a balance of omega 6 and 9). However, fish oil, because of the very high levels of vitamin A, CAN be toxic. I'm glad you're taking it in a liquid form though- its better that way.

thanks for the warning bro. i appreciate it. but i got the vitamin a and d free fish oil.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 01/15/2013 10:52 am

Eff multivitams, didn't do s, again! Back to the drawing board, and started taking GNC Saw Palmetto Standardized 160mg X 2 daily this past Sunday. Now, I've done alot of reading up on SP. I've found it's worked better for men in my research on SP. This effing crap has got to stop! I've had a very good diet for the past 5 years, exercise, I'm in good shape, I get a clean bill of health when I get my yearly physicals, and I had a battery of tests from an endocrinologist last year (and found nothing). I've concluded my dilemna is strictly hormonal, and keeping my fingers crossed that this Saw Palmetto may help. I have had 32 years of this now, that is a LONG time! I just don't know how these doctors can give you a clean bill of health, when you have had acne for 32 years? I don't think having cystic acne is very healthy in my book. Unfortunately, having 32 years of this is written all over my face with the disfiguring acne scars I'm left with. Hopefully, this will subside, and I'm going to take the next step, and get some Sculptra done. In the past couple of years I've been to a therapist, and that did jack s for me! My esteem has been destroyed. Acne is definitely harder on men, women can have horrible acne, and still have their pick of any man they want...that's just the way of world! I've only been with 2 women in my life, and I married both of them (not at the same time) rolleyes.gif