Notifications
Clear all

Red Wine And Cysts?

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 11:57 am

Has anyone else had the experience where drinking red wine in excess or (any other alcohol), will cause them to break out in a cyst? Usually I can drink wine and be just fine, but with the Holidays this past week, I have been drinking more than normal, and on average 2-3 glasses of wine (on Monday, Tuesday, NONE Wednesday, and last night). On Wednesday I woke up with two huge nickel sized cysts right next door to one another on my chin, I got them shot up with cortisone immediately on Wednesday afternoon (also note, no wine intake Wednesday night). Thursday I woke up, things were looking on the mend. Thursday night, I drank a few glasses of wine, and BAM friday morning a new cyst and skin looking a little extra dry and just not so much "alive." Has anyone else had an issue particularly with red wine? Per this article http://www.acneskinsite.com/acne-remedies/acne-red-wine-related/ it seems that red wine might not be good for those prone to cystic acne, but on occasion to drink a glass here and there for overall health benefits. What do you think? All wines are high in histamines, so should I stick to gin, vodka, or rum (low histamine alcohols) if I so happen have to go to a cocktail party?

Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@jakeshake)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:11 pm

If I have a pimple and I drink wine, bear or any other alcoholic drink my pimple will get inflamed to a cyst within minutes. It's happened many times.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:40 pm

So do you just not drink then? I have never had this problem until now. Its either alcohol or stress or a combination of both.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:41 pm

Has anyone else had the experience where drinking red wine in excess or (any other alcohol), will cause them to break out in a cyst? Usually I can drink wine and be just fine, but with the Holidays this past week, I have been drinking more than normal, and on average 2-3 glasses of wine (on Monday, Tuesday, NONE Wednesday, and last night). On Wednesday I woke up with two huge nickel sized cysts right next door to one another on my chin, I got them shot up with cortisone immediately on Wednesday afternoon (also note, no wine intake Wednesday night). Thursday I woke up, things were looking on the mend. Thursday night, I drank a few glasses of wine, and BAM friday morning a new cyst and skin looking a little extra dry and just not so much "alive." Has anyone else had an issue particularly with red wine? Per this article http://www.acneskins...d-wine-related/ it seems that red wine might not be good for those prone to cystic acne, but on occasion to drink a glass here and there for overall health benefits. What do you think? All wines are high in histamines, so should I stick to gin, vodka, or rum (low histamine alcohols) if I so happen have to go to a cocktail party?

Thoughts?

]

yes,I just posted on your blog saying that I had cystic spot every other week for 10 years until I found my poison which caused them,now I have been virtually spot free for 30 years,check out my photo on adult acne,title "phew my spot is fast disappearing for xmas", it shows my diminshed spot and how bad cystic spots I get.

maybe your right about red wine,mine was chemical additives/flavorings added to everyday food,

I can give you more details if you want.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:43 pm

yes,I just posted on your blog saying that I had cystic spot every other week for 10 years until I found my poison which caused them,now I have been virtually spot free for 30 years,check out my photo on adult acne,title "phew my spot is fast disappearing for xmas", it shows my diminshed spot and how bad cystic spots I get.

maybe your right about red wine,mine was chemical additives/flavorings added to everyday food,

I would be very interested in hearing which, or if all additives caused your acne? Are you talking about food enhancers or preservatives?

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/28/2012 2:02 pm

I would be very interested in hearing which, or if all additives caused your acne? Are you talking about food enhancers or preservatives?

I know 100% what foods to avoid but I don't know the chemical name or number,as I live in the UK these food products will have a different brand name but I know for sure that it is the same worldwide,

basically it is anything that has a long shelf life and you add boiling water to activate,I think you have something called ramen in the USA,over here it's pot noodles,instant rice /noodles,gravy/tea/coffee granules,coloured rice, instant or cup a soups,packet granular mix in sauces etc etc,mostly granular form and interestingly,last year my doctor prescribed me some blood pressure tablets and they contained the same chemical,

if I had'nt found this out by accident 30 years ago, no doubt I would still be getting cystic spots and I hope yours is the same problem or similar,if so then you will be cured or should I say prevented which is better than cure.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 2:48 pm

Interesting. I am a very healthy eater, and don't consume really anything by nature that you have to add water too. I don't buy pre-made foods other than some very healthy frozen dinners from a store we have here in the US called Whole Foods. I did have a bowl of Pho yesterday (if you ever heard of it. Vietnamese noodle soup, homemade) maybe the spices are something I cannot tolerate? Or its just the way that specific store makes it? Not sure. I had Pho last week too, so maybe it is bringing on the cystic acne. Not sure. Will continue to investigate. Have you ever considered getting an allergy blood test done? That way you know truly what your sensitive to or allergic to? I found out I cannot tolerate gluten and dairy and haven't touched it since May.... big lifestyle change, but all for the better. I dont get stomach pains anymore.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/28/2012 3:31 pm

Interesting. I am a very healthy eater, and don't consume really anything by nature that you have to add water too. I don't buy pre-made foods other than some very healthy frozen dinners from a store we have here in the US called Whole Foods. I did have a bowl of Pho yesterday (if you ever heard of it. Vietnamese noodle soup, homemade) maybe the spices are something I cannot tolerate? Or its just the way that specific store makes it? Not sure. I had Pho last week too, so maybe it is bringing on the cystic acne. Not sure. Will continue to investigate. Have you ever considered getting an allergy blood test done? That way you know truly what your sensitive to or allergic to? I found out I cannot tolerate gluten and dairy and haven't touched it since May.... big lifestyle change, but all for the better. I dont get stomach pains anymore.

sounds suspicous Vietnamese noodles and maybe the frozen dinners,look at this way,I could eat only fresh vegtables/meat/fruit and drink only water,but if I scooped my finger along my son's plate which had sauce on made by granules and licked my finger,I would get a spot.

I never heard of Pho but will google it.My daughter has the same problem as me but my son doesn't suffer,I wish I knew the name or number of my poison,it's a good idea having an allergy/intolerance test,i've never thought about it as I know what type of foods to avoid and have done reasonably successful for the last 30 years and I think my most recent spot was due to a tablet prescribed by my doctor,also I can feel something large forming on the back of my head by my neck,I have never had a spot there,so it shows that the problem is always there waiting to strike.

I am really glad that you are thinking that there might be a connection and maybe we can solve the problem,

maybe you could try eating only fresh food for a couple of weeks then revert back to your normal food and see the difference.

Just googled "Pho" and I would never eat any of these foods,especially Chinese,this Vietnamese food is identical,they are full of the chemical ingredient that guarantee me a cystic spot!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/28/2012 3:49 pm

Another thought,you are suspecting red wine might be the cause,do you get these cysts because you only drink red wine when eating Pho?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 12/28/2012 4:00 pm

That's funny cause when I drink my face clears up

Matter fact I'm drinking a 32 oz right now.

But I only drink beer no wine or liquor.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 5:11 pm

I am starting to think this all just may be stressed induced. The last time I had a cyst I was very stressed, in college, engaged, planning a wedding, etc. That was back in March. And now, I get 3 cysts in one week, all lined up on my chin (jawline) because I am under stress with the holidays, and some family related troubles. SO it might just be stress, but I definitely think the red wine did have a part in it...whether solely the red wine or just a combo of high stress and wine.... I really don't think its the PHO since I go to restaurants that make it homemade and nothing about it is chemically treated....its just chicken or beef stock with spices (lemon grass, ginger, w/e)

However, i do plan on drinking a lot of water to flush out my system! My cortisone shot is at 8am tomorrow. Whoohoo...

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/29/2012 2:27 am

just writing a few things for you to ponder over in the coming years ,that is if you continue getting cysts,as I have lived the nightmare of cysts and remember how depressed I used to get and lack of confidence they gave me.

I asked my 21 year old daughter who is a sufferer as well,she had tests done and was told that she is allergic to Monosodium Glutamate MSG is a chemical additive used in the production of noodles and gravy/tea/coffee granules,instant soups etc etc

so while the ingredients in Pho are healthy and tasty,suspect the noodles,which are pure poison for me and my daughter and a small % of the population,the allergic reaction produces a build up of pus(for want of a better name) in the glands on the face.

As for stress,it certainly isn't a contributing factor in mine and my daughters life,I can say that as in my case I didn't have any kind of reoccurance of cysts 25 years ago when my wife and younger brother died of cancer and more recently when my children's mother died,it didn't produce cysts for my daughter but the stress did give me a mini stroke.

Anyway,good luck and I hope that abstaining from red wine and a more stress free life will give you the clear complexion that ladies should have.

MemberMember
(@pickleshmickle)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:45 am

It's interesting you bring this topic up because I actually switched to red wine from beer just recently. Why? Because I read an (actual) scientific paper that claims the resveratrol in red wine can actually help acne. My results are similar to yours, though; the more I drink, the worse my face gets. I think this may be due to alcohol toxicity (i.e. liver focused on detoxification of alcohol rather than blood). The problem with acne is that you could do something one week and it can have little effect, and then you do it the following week and you get a terrible breakout from it, as if your body is primed for acne in certain circumstances. My suggestion would be to just experiment.

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 01/02/2013 5:06 am

Has anyone else had the experience where drinking red wine in excess or (any other alcohol), will cause them to break out in a cyst? Usually I can drink wine and be just fine, but with the Holidays this past week, I have been drinking more than normal, and on average 2-3 glasses of wine (on Monday, Tuesday, NONE Wednesday, and last night). On Wednesday I woke up with two huge nickel sized cysts right next door to one another on my chin, I got them shot up with cortisone immediately on Wednesday afternoon (also note, no wine intake Wednesday night). Thursday I woke up, things were looking on the mend. Thursday night, I drank a few glasses of wine, and BAM friday morning a new cyst and skin looking a little extra dry and just not so much "alive." Has anyone else had an issue particularly with red wine? Per this article http://www.acneskins...d-wine-related/ it seems that red wine might not be good for those prone to cystic acne, but on occasion to drink a glass here and there for overall health benefits. What do you think? All wines are high in histamines, so should I stick to gin, vodka, or rum (low histamine alcohols) if I so happen have to go to a cocktail party?

Thoughts?

Sulfites,perhaps that's what you are allergic/intolerant to,they use it in wine making,

read about it - http://www.thekitchn.com/sulfites-in-wine-necessary-or-100878

MemberMember
(@greatsite18)

Posted : 01/03/2013 12:57 pm

Youve written it yourself; you drink too much wine. I logged on to create my own topic on the positives of wine but I'll just write here instead.

As you know a glass of red with a meal is widely hailed to be good for you, and I elaborate. The trick is to treat wine like mouthwash. If youve ever been on a winetasting tour at a vineyard you'll know what I mean: Swish, gargle, sniff; mostly swish. I know a lot of people suffer from itchy faces which is often a precursor to acne, well a glass of red with a meal soothes my gums and even makes them feel fuller.

I rediscovered my affinity for wine over christmas when I was eating a lot of everything. Now I actually have a glass of wine with every meal, everyday. I know it reads stupid but its effective. Im able to eat a lot more fun food now because of wine, when previously I'd have to be really careful about my diet. Everybody should buy more wine.

Now about you, if youre getting cystic acne you must be doing something seriously wrong. Ive written some useful stuff before, if youre stuck you should read it, otherwise maybe just moderating your wine might be enough.