Notifications
Clear all

Can You Use A Combination Of Sulfur Products For Acne?

MemberMember
(@leaf)

Posted : 12/27/2012 10:25 pm

I'm a male in my 20's am finally able to gain some control over my long battle with acne since age 14. The past 6 years have been a never ending cycle of OTC products and dermatology visits. I've tried every product from every brand such as Proactive to Clean&Clear, Neutrogena, Oxy, ZapZyt, etc. When that didn't work, I started seeing the dermatologist who had be doing Dove soap, Retin-A, and Doxycycline. When that stopped working, I played around with regimens using Dial gold bar, Witch Hazel, Sulfur Clay Masks, and Vitamin Suppliments.

I went to see the family doctor last week for an unrelated problem, and asked about acne. He put me on Doxycycline and said to wash my face with a sulfur-based soap. I'm using the DermaKlear Akne Treatment soap with sulfur but I know there's also Grisi brand, Grandpa's Thylox bar, and Joesoefs sulfur soaps, which would probably be cheaper if I could find them!

I know there's also sulfur masks like Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask, the Proactiv Mask, Acne-Free Suflur Mask, etc.

Also, they have topically applied sulfur ointments like the de la Cruz that comes in a tub at Walgreens.

So, my question, would it be better to use the soap, mask, and ointment together or just the soap? Would it be too drying/irritating to use all three in combination?

Before I saw the doc, I was washing twice daily with Dial gold bar and following with witch hazel astringent. I used the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask once a week. To shave, I first apply Noxzema and then just a basic shaving cream for extra protection (since I tend to have razor irritation). This worked descently, probably as good as it's going to get for right now. It's never been 100% clear!

What are you guys' thoughts?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/04/2013 8:05 pm

The Mint Julep mask has sulfur in it, but I think its primary benefit is the clay. A clay mask can help loosen oil in your pores.

I don't think you'll really get any noticeable benefit from combining sulfur products.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 01/06/2013 10:13 pm

I can't imagine using three sulfur products at the same time without experiencing extreme dryness. I use a 5% sulfur / 10% sodium sulfacetamide cleanser on my face and can only handle using it once a day. I tried it twice a day for a week or so and it made a dry flakey mess. I've used that Thylox soap on my body and it is pretty drying.

Hope the sulfur works out for you. It's been a life saver for me.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/06/2013 10:46 pm

Sulfur is extremely drying but it does work. The grisi sulfur soap works pretty good and is cheap. You're supposed to wash your face and work up a lather and leave it on for 5-10 mins and wash it off. The de la Cruz sulfur ointment is really affordable. You're supposed to put a thin layer of ointment on your face and leave on for 10 minutes then wash off.

I've used both and still use the grisi bar soap for back acne and it does a good job at keeping my back clear. I cannot use those two on my face because its just way to harsh for me. Give them a try because they're both really affordable and it might work great for you.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:05 am

I also agree that using all three will most likely be too drying. My teenage son got clear from jjust using the De La Cruz ointment. He left it on overnight and wasn't in the habit of washing with a soap. It took about 3-4 weeks to clear this way as I recall. I looked into a few other sulfur products before settling on De La Cruz, and so many of them had too much scent added to them.