Notifications
Clear all

Weight Lifting?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/27/2012 5:06 pm

I do exercises every 2nd day which include 40 press ups, 40 crunches and planks, gradually increasing them. And I go for at least 1 20 minute walk every day. However, I want to start lifting weights, but I've heard all so much stuff about weight lifters getting acne and what not.

If it matters, I'm a male and 17 and slim built. I basically only want to lift weights for my arms. Nothing else.

Or is it best to stick away from weight lifting?

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 12/27/2012 5:18 pm

If your acne is hormonal which it probably is at your age, I would say the increase in testosterone will directly effect the amount of acne you get. Not for the better either. This is from personal experience but obviously everyone is different.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/27/2012 5:27 pm

If your acne is hormonal which it probably is at your age, I would say the increase in testosterone will directly effect the amount of acne you get. Not for the better either. This is from personal experience but obviously everyone is different.

Thanks man, what about my other exercises, just like push ups and crunches etc, they okay?

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 12/27/2012 7:21 pm

I doubt general exercise will increase your hormones too much. Weight training and bulking did for me though. I got to my desired weight and shape a few months ago followed by an increasing problem with bloody acne. Ive stopped now, I would rather have clear skin.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/27/2012 7:37 pm

i do heavy weight training and have been doing it for about 4 months. and it doesn't effect my acne because i have been clear while doing it.

MemberMember
(@naturald)

Posted : 12/28/2012 8:49 am

The main reason weight lifters get acne is the supplements they take.

Creatine, steroids etc increase your testerone levels, which means more spots.

Also protein shakes contain dairy, which causes a problem for a lot of people.

Weight training is fine just avoid the supplements or if you want a protein shake try a hemp seed one (it's just about edible).

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 3:59 pm

i use brewers yeast for protein. its pretty good actually.

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 01/01/2013 5:31 pm

So as long as I stay off the shakes and supplements, I should be okay to start weight-lifting? Haven't done weights in a few years and I'd perfect skin then but I'm making it my mission to get fit and a bit bulked too but I'm cautious as I'm slowly starting to get my skin under control...

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@naturald)

Posted : 01/03/2013 4:07 pm

Yes it is fine. Plenty of protein in beans, chicken, fish, brown rice etc.

MemberMember
(@buttsoup)

Posted : 01/03/2013 6:14 pm

You can take protein supplements. That shouldn't affect your acne unless you have an intolerance to dairy. Although I do recommend you don't eat dairy period, because your body doesn't really require it after a certain age. Humans are the only mammals who keep on consuming dairy after adolescence, it's quite silly. If you want to avoid dairy, but you do want to keep on taking protein supplements (which isn't strange seeing as it is way cheaper than buying lean meats) go for whey isolate. Whey isolate is protein in it's purest form, it contains 0.01% lactose at the most.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/03/2013 9:53 pm

i agree. avoid all white grains and proccessed foods.