Notifications
Clear all

Dan Moisturizer Not Working For Me

MemberMember
(@syrupop)

Posted : 12/27/2012 4:58 pm

So my face gets really dry after the cleanser and the bp so i need a moisturizer to help me deal with the dryness and the flakiness. I put on dan moisturizer and it helps with the dryness for a while. 1-2 hours my cheeks are really dry and flaking again. Other parts of my face is not really dry except for my cheeks. Can you guys recommend other moisturizer that can help me with the dryness and flakiness.

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/27/2012 5:15 pm

CeraVe

MemberMember
(@jcx1984)

Posted : 12/28/2012 11:01 pm

have you tried using jojoba oil?

I had crazy flakiness from about the 3rd day on the regimen. Then I went jojoba and I am now seeing ZERO dryness.

I know it feels counter-intuitive to throw oil on our faces....but man, this works great.

MemberMember
(@syrupop)

Posted : 12/29/2012 3:11 am

yes i always put 6 drops of jojoba oil on the moisturizer

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 12/29/2012 7:01 am

yes i always put 6 drops of jojoba oil on the moisturizer

I would reccomend maybe not changing the moisturizer, but reducing the amount of BP you use, if you want, try using it only once a day (in the morning only use moisturizerand use with jojoba oil if you like)

Also depending on how far you are into the regimen you could try AHA, be careful with it though, don't use it if you have only just started the regimen, and when you try it, try mixing it half and half with the acne.org moisturizer, you csn still add jojoba oil to it also.

Don't try exfoliation methods apart froom aha, most make your skin dryer in the long run.

(Also, this is odd, but I have found 30mg zing per day it working great for me for some reason, you should try it!)

All the best! :D

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 01/04/2013 9:34 am

Try these tips: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

If none of those tips help, feel free to try a different moisturizer. http://www.acne.org/supplies-guide.inc.html

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 04/04/2013 10:26 pm

If none of those tips help, feel free to try a different moisturizer. http://www.acne.org/supplies-guide.inc.html

I know this is an old thread, but I'm a little confused. In the tips about reducing dryness and flakiness Dan says: "substituting your usual nightly moisturizer with an AHA moisturizer a few nights a week can help" (relieve dryness).

How? I thought Dan's AHA+ is used for exfoliating? And isn't it an acid? Wouldn't it only dry out skin even more rather than help moisturize? Should I mix Dan's AHA+ with his moisturized in order to reduce dryness?

Also, does Dan's moisturizer address the dehydration of the skin along with dryness and flakiness? That's my biggest concern. I'm not too flaky or dry, but my skin feels really tight, and dehydrated, and I'm getting pretty deep wrinkles along my laugh lines and forehead even though I don't use too much BP in those places.

I can't remember who, but someone in another thread said Dan's moisturizer doesn't really hydrate skin because it doesn't contain humectants so your skin doesn't retain moisture. They also said that jojoba oil was a sealant, not a humectant, so it would only serve to keep water OUT of your skin? Are there any moisturizers that address dehydration of the skin and wrinkles?

MemberMember
(@bailey2)

Posted : 04/04/2013 10:37 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm a little confused. In the tips about reducing dryness and flakiness Dan says: "substituting your usual nightly moisturizer with an AHA moisturizer a few nights a week can help" (relieve dryness).

How? I thought Dan's AHA+ is used for exfoliating? And isn't it an acid? Wouldn't it only dry out skin even more rather than help moisturize? Should I mix Dan's AHA+ with his moisturized in order to reduce dryness?

Also, does Dan's moisturizer address the dehydration of the skin along with dryness and flakiness? That's my biggest concern. I'm not too flaky or dry, but my skin feels really tight, and dehydrated, and I'm getting pretty deep wrinkles along my laugh lines and forehead even though I don't use too much BP in those places.

I can't remember who, but someone in another thread said Dan's moisturizer doesn't really hydrate skin because it doesn't contain humectants so your skin doesn't retain moisture. They also said that jojoba oil was a sealant, not a humectant, so it would only serve to keep water OUT of your skin? Are there any moisturizers that address dehydration of the skin and wrinkles?

AHA's are chemical exfoliants which also have a moisturizing quality about them. So instead of making your face more dry it will hydrate it while sloughing off the flakey dead skin cells. If you are quite dry however, you should mix the AHA with the moisturizer.

Cheers

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 04/05/2013 9:50 am

AHA's are chemical exfoliants which also have a moisturizing quality about them. So instead of making your face more dry it will hydrate it while sloughing off the flakey dead skin cells. If you are quite dry however, you should mix the AHA with the moisturizer.

Cheers

Oh, thanks! That makes sense. But will it make my face red?

Still confused about the whole humectants vs. sealants aspect of Dan's moisturizer though. Also, exactly how does the licorice extract help "calm" acne prone skin?

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 04/05/2013 11:52 pm

Hm... This morning I didn't use any BP on my face, but I slathered on dan's moisturizer and jojoba oil. I even applied more in the afternoon, but after I washed my face tonight, it was dryer than before applying the moisturizer!

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 04/06/2013 12:39 am

Should I maybe try putting on Dan's moisturizer right after washing my face?

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 04/10/2013 9:01 pm

Still waiting for an answer on what makes Dan's moisturizer so good..

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 04/10/2013 9:43 pm

My personal experience with Dan's moisturiser in the first 5 weeks of following the regimen was that it wasnt moisturising enough. I would put on around 2 pumps with jojoba oil on and within a few hours my face would be dry and tight again. I then decided to switch to cetaphil which I found to be a lot more hydrating (it was thick and gluggy) but I noticed that my pores started to get clogged again. So I decided to switch back to Dan's moisturiser and just apply it a few times a day once I noticed my skin getting dry again.

But once I got through 5-6 weeks of the regimen my skin had adjusted to the BP and I found I had to moisturise less and less. The AHA+ also helped once I started using it in week 4/5 although it did make my face red again for a couple of weeks until my skin became accustomed to it.

So in summary, yes I agree, Dan's moisturiser isnt very moisturising if you have particularly dry skin, but its the best moisturiser (I feel) to get you clear on the regimen. Hope that helps....and good luck!

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 04/21/2013 1:10 pm

My personal experience with Dan's moisturiser in the first 5 weeks of following the regimen was that it wasnt moisturising enough. I would put on around 2 pumps with jojoba oil on and within a few hours my face would be dry and tight again. I then decided to switch to cetaphil which I found to be a lot more hydrating (it was thick and gluggy) but I noticed that my pores started to get clogged again. So I decided to switch back to Dan's moisturiser and just apply it a few times a day once I noticed my skin getting dry again.

But once I got through 5-6 weeks of the regimen my skin had adjusted to the BP and I found I had to moisturise less and less. The AHA+ also helped once I started using it in week 4/5 although it did make my face red again for a couple of weeks until my skin became accustomed to it.

So in summary, yes I agree, Dan's moisturiser isnt very moisturising if you have particularly dry skin, but its the best moisturiser (I feel) to get you clear on the regimen. Hope that helps....and good luck!

It sure seems like it's the best... The only alternatives people really mention are Cetaphil and Cerave, but it seems like they end up just clogging your pores.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 04/22/2013 9:47 pm

I don't think Cetaphil and Cerave cloggs everyone's pores but cetaphil certainly does for me personally. I really like it as a moisturiser though, I like it more than Dan's but my skin seems to like Dan's more. Stupid skin, its so bossy! ;)

MemberMember
(@northeastpro)

Posted : 04/29/2013 12:05 pm

im sick of having to apply and reapply lotion for 40min a day only to have my skin be dry or red. I only put bp on acne I already have and my face is still way to dry. if I put what the regimen suggests that be insane. if I put the amount of lotion on it suggests that be insane. this is a frustration post because the only success this product has had is that it make me hate something more then acne. a big red face. im trading one thing that makes me feel self conscious with another. starting today im done with bp and will use less and less lotion.

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 04/29/2013 11:13 pm

hi, when I did the regimen I found that I couldnt use Dans moisturiser either it was irritating for some reason.

Some good ones for me were neutrogena sensitive skin, and purpose. Non-scented non oily stuff.

Also, even though Dan recommends waiting 15 minutes between washing/bp and moisteriser I never did, my skin didnt get as dry if I put everything on immediately following. I never used nearly as much bp as Dan said either, I used a nickel-sized amount at most. Just my experience.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 05/01/2013 9:09 am

i use benzaclin which is bp and clindamycin and the only way i can use it is if use the olay regenerist deep hydration cream with it. that stuff is the only thing that keeps me skin looking nice and not flaky at all. it takes away all the redness and helps with red marks too. i get it on ebay for like $15. olay also sells a daytime lotion from the regenerist line with spf 15 or 50. love the stuff and have used it for over 4 years now.